Can you stop weed and pads regrowing?

elmoputney

Just wondering if there is anything I can be doing to prep some areas for next year that will stop the weed and pads redeveloping there? 

There used to be a deadly spot when I fished there years ago, but when the weed and pads get up its no longer fishable, I would like to make it a deadly clear spot again it's too far out for the rake, too deep to wade, can I do something that will keep the pads back, it wouldn't hurt to thin them out a bit it is a little overgrown.these days but also wouldn't want it to be too blatent lol 😜

From keeping ponds and pads the only solution I know of is to pull up the pads by the roots which will be extensive/thick as your arm.  Probably an annual job to get in and pull them up.

As it's too deep for you to wade I can only think of chucking a heavy duty rake out.  You could do it in winter when the pads are gone because its the thick connecting roots that have to come out, they are often up off the bottom when it's really thick.

Take the roots out, which is easier said than done. Lilies are thick tuber type roots, and can be cut by saw. If you leave bits the pads can regrow from drifting roots. 

Canadian pond weed is a 'mare, take chunks out and it still spreads as thick. 

Hope for a cold winter and keep raking the spot to take out shoots and roots. 

3 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

From keeping ponds and pads the only solution I know of is to pull up the pads by the roots which will be extensive/thick as your arm.  Probably an annual job to get in and pull them up.

As it's too deep for you to wade I can only think of chucking a heavy duty rake out.  You could do it in winter when the pads are gone because its the thick connecting roots that have to come out, they are often up off the bottom when it's really thick.

Thanks for this, I might be able to do something by boat, it is just too far out from land I have tried 

I've got a big rake though and a cutter so I should be able to do something, was hoping there was an easy solution 😂

52 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Take the roots out, which is easier said than done. Lilies are thick tuber type roots, and can be cut by saw. If you leave bits the pads can regrow from drifting roots. 

Canadian pond weed is a 'mare, take chunks out and it still spreads as thick. 

Hope for a cold winter and keep raking the spot to take out shoots and roots. 

It seems a colder winter this year already, so hopefully that will do some good 

4 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Just wondering if there is anything I can be doing to prep some areas for next year that will stop the weed and pads redeveloping there? 

There used to be a deadly spot when I fished there years ago, but when the weed and pads get up its no longer fishable, I would like to make it a deadly clear spot again it's too far out for the rake, too deep to wade, can I do something that will keep the pads back, it wouldn't hurt to thin them out a bit it is a little overgrown.these days but also wouldn't want it to be too blatent lol 😜

If you want to stop weed coming up then just keep baiting the spot as regular as possible. You make holes in weed with bait and you can most certainly stop it growing by baiting.  If the spot is getting too big then you just slow up on the baiting so the weed has time to grow back. 

As for lily pads, like has been said, manual removal of the root tubers is the way. Failing that maybe baiting them might do the same as baiting in the weed. 

34 minutes ago, emmcee said:

If you want to stop weed coming up then just keep baiting the spot as regular as possible. You make holes in weed with bait and you can most certainly stop it growing by baiting.  If the spot is getting too big then you just slow up on the baiting so the weed has time to grow back. 

As for lily pads, like has been said, manual removal of the root tubers is the way. Failing that maybe baiting them might do the same as baiting in the weed. 

Baiting up over lilies doesn't stop the root tubers growing, they are thick. 

Cutting is the only way, and as mentioned, they will break away and regrow. 

This might be of interest:

1 hour ago, Big Bass said:

No Joking now Elmo if your out on a boat or even wading wear a life vest mate you can easily lose your footing 👍

I've got one just incase I ever need to venture out in the boat, so far I haven't though, seems to much of a faff to just get the boat out lol 

2 hours ago, emmcee said:

It's really the pads that are getting in the way tbh the weed can be worked on with a rake or baited like you say, if needs be, looks like if I want to I'm just going to have to get stuck in with the rake and cutter and try and clear it, 

Cheers all 

21 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I've got one just incase I ever need to venture out in the boat, so far I haven't though, seems to much of a faff to just get the boat out lol 

It's really the pads that are getting in the way tbh the weed can be worked on with a rake or baited like you say, if needs be, looks like if I want to I'm just going to have to get stuck in with the rake and cutter and try and clear it, 

Cheers all 

There is one other way, weedkiller.  I think roundup do one for some  aquatic plants. Needs to be in leaf though. Leaf draws in the herbicide and takes it down to the roots. That way you can spray the offending leaves  you want gone and it will leave you your spot.👍

Only downside is you'll get banned if caught, so 🤐🤫

😂

54 minutes ago, emmcee said:

There is one other way, weedkiller.  I think roundup do one for some  aquatic plants. Needs to be in leaf though. Leaf draws in the herbicide and takes it down to the roots. That way you can spray the offending leaves  you want gone and it will leave you your spot.👍

Only downside is you'll get banned if caught, so 🤐🤫

😂

I didn't see nuffink guv 🤐