December Catch Reports

yonny

I popped down to a day ticket lake in the Nene Valley for a social this weekend. Conditions were awful; cold, wet, miserable. Blanked the first night and didn't really know what I could do to turn the session around until I saw one lump out around midday. In came the rods, found a new spot in the zone, few spombs of bait and a couple of pink pop ups, job done.

I knew it was game on when I started getting liners on dark. Loads of liners in fact - I counted 17 before finally the bobbin stayed at the top and I pulled into a bite at around 8pm. Five minutes later and I have a nice little mirror on the bank.

20201204_195346.thumb.jpg.30b538986f64d5d1dcef1c7c0aa812b7.jpg

No more liners so topped up with a couple of spombs before bed and got my head down. I did get the odd beep in the night but nothing like before. Shortly before daylight I got a twitchy bream-like take and I waited for a minute for it to fall off before deciding I best get out and hit it. It hadn't even pulled the line out of the clip but as I picked up the rod I could see the crafty little sod had kited down my left hand margin on a slack line. Bit of side strain and I soon had it waddling about in front of me. A nice plump mirror with absolutely fantastic colours.

I let this one rest in the net for half an hour until daylight and I'm glad I did. Great looking kipper.

20201205_085207.thumb.jpg.d02d25023d8d07f0033d9afff4cd3146.jpg

A decent little session in the end. Cold and wet but good fun a couple of kippers. Can't moan.

12 minutes ago, yonny said:

Always a chance mate. If you can find them they're normally catchable, it's finding them that's the problem. Just one sighting at the weekend and it turned the sesh around.

Couldn’t agree more.. I carry binoculars with me all the time and I think they are as important as the rest of my gear, the common that I had this morning started by seeing a couple of bubbles coming up, then it was a small amount of loose feed and watch for more feeding activity and within 2 hours the fish was in the net.. ( single bleep followed by two more bleeps ) ... I think it’s a case of if you can’t find the fish at this time of the year you won’t catch them

2 hours ago, yonny said:

I popped down to a day ticket lake in the Nene Valley for a social this weekend. Conditions were awful; cold, wet, miserable. Blanked the first night and didn't really know what I could do to turn the session around until I saw one lump out around midday. In came the rods, found a new spot in the zone, few spombs of bait and a couple of pink pop ups, job done.

I knew it was game on when I started getting liners on dark. Loads of liners in fact - I counted 17 before finally the bobbin stayed at the top and I pulled into a bite at around 8pm. Five minutes later and I have a nice little mirror on the bank.

No more liners so topped up with a couple of spombs before bed and got my head down. I did get the odd beep in the night but nothing like before. Shortly before daylight I got a twitchy bream-like take and I waited for a minute for it to fall off before deciding I best get out and hit it. It hadn't even pulled the line out of the clip but as I picked up the rod I could see the crafty little sod had kited down my left hand margin on a slack line. Bit of side strain and I soon had it waddling about in front of me. A nice plump mirror with absolutely fantastic colours.

I let this one rest in the net for half an hour until daylight and I'm glad I did. Great looking kipper.

A decent little session in the end. Cold and wet but good fun a couple of kippers. Can't moan.

Well done that man - great stuff! :-) 

On 07/12/2020 at 14:14, yonny said:

Nice fish them yonny

On 08/12/2020 at 07:53, elmoputney said:

That's a lovely age, really coming out of there shell and being little characters, 

Mine are now 5 and 6 and have big characters, my eldest one started door slamming the other day 😂

Is your 6yr old just copying what Daddy does when Mummy won't let him go fishing , Elmo ? .

😁

On 07/12/2020 at 14:14, yonny said:

What a result !  👍

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from 48 hours down at Bluebell lakes.

I got off to a flyer with 7 takes 4 landed in the first afternoon, thank goodness I had a few bags ready - with mild temps and rain all day I managed to drop in the right place at the right time and get a few bites before it switched back off.

The following day I was ready for the afternoon carnage but nothing happened, in hindsight the fish had probably moved down the other end with the weather, being the complete opposite to the day before- clear skies and cool temps.

Guess there will be some bangers out this weekend.

Screenshot_20201218-201539_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20201218-201307_Video Player.jpg

8 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

I got off to a flyer with 7 takes 4 landed in the first afternoon, thank goodness I had a few bags ready - with mild temps and rain all day I managed to drop in the right place at the right time and get a few bites before it switched back off.

The following day I was ready for the afternoon carnage but nothing happened, in hindsight the fish had probably moved down the other end with the weather, being the complete opposite to the day before- clear skies and cool temps.

Nice to have a few this time of yr 

3 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

3 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

928040199_Screenshot_20201216-173429_VideoPlayer.thumb.jpg.b61d3d606fa679c885bfbe8cb403ed0e.jpg

Screenshot_20201219-134420_Gallery.jpg

Good angling mate  nice to see some fish in the catch report at time of year. 😁👍

17 minutes ago, yonny said:

Fantastic Kev. Nice to get some action at this time of year mate. Well done!

Cheers mate 👍

Did Sunday on Pitsford Res Perch and Pike fishing, had a small perch on the drop shot which was a first for me from a boat and I missed a good take from a Pike on a big rubber imitation lure, again another first, need a stiffer rod.

The guy I was with had a 3.4 Perch which to me was insane - blew me away.

On Rutland next week - hopefully a predator catch report to come - fingers crossed, I'll get the hang of this in about 10 years lol

• 2 weeks later...

Went the other day, just after the storm, I’ve been walking the dog around two of my local waters as they are only about 1/2mile apart so they are easy to keep tabs on. The larger water had all the carp stocks tightly shoaled under a fallen tree in an out of bounds area. (Roped off temporarily by the management to stop anglers casting next to the fallen tree and risking tethered fish. Good thinking in my view.) on the smaller water, I was able to find the 2 ghosties quite easily and with them were about 60% of the lakes stock, all milling about in the same swim, they were there for about 7-10 days and no one was fishing for them! 

My boy wanted to go carp fishing so I thought to take him to the smaller pond as I had seen all those carp, turned up the day after storm Bella to find a tree had been blown in, now laying across the middle of the swim, taking up about 40% of the fishable water. This ruled this lake out on safety grounds. We moved to a 3rd water that has good winter form and tried our luck for a few hours. I managed to blank, but my boy winkled out a 15lb common, so he was happy!  

323CFFF5-E7B1-4EA5-8D8A-6F983CD755CF.jpeg