Stiff vs Semi-Stiff hooklink

Thelad

I’m fairly new to carp fishing and looking at ways to improve my current rig, one way I’ve thought of is a different hook link material to mono. Does anyone have an opinion on the pros/cons of stiff vs semi stiff braid? 

Most likely to be used in a pva bag with lead clip.

Also I apologise if I’m on the wrong thread, please feel free to tell me if this is the case.

Hi mate 

Personally I would use a softish braid in a solid bag with an inline lead rather than a leadclip, 

If you mean a mesh bag just hooked onto the hook I would probably still use a semi stiff coated braid personally 

A lot will also depend what type of surface you are fishing over, at this time of year I wouldn't use a stiff material unless I was confident it was a clean bottom, as you may find it lands on a twig or something and just spends the night inches off the bottom  not presented that well 

Would also help to know what sort of rig you are using, hope this helps 

29 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Hi mate 

Personally I would use a softish braid in a solid bag with an inline lead rather than a leadclip, 

If you mean a mesh bag just hooked onto the hook I would probably still use a semi stiff coated braid personally 

A lot will also depend what type of surface you are fishing over, at this time of year I wouldn't use a stiff material unless I was confident it was a clean bottom, as you may find it lands on a twig or something and just spends the night inches off the bottom  not presented that well 

Would also help to know what sort of rig you are using, hope this helps 

Thanks for the reply 

So a soft braid inside the bag but what about the solid bag? While I will use them for most of my fishing, there will be times that they won’t be effective. 

I’m definitely confused over the difference between semi-stiff and stiff hooklinks in general, although your answer has helped me understand a lot. 

I would use an inline lead, but again I’m new to this and don’t know how to make it semi fixed😂

I’m simply using a knotless knot, size 8 wide gape, mono hooklink and a swivel on the end. Nothing fancy whatsoever but am looking at some different rigs to learn how to tie.

Are you putting the lead into the bag or just tying a bag around the hookbait? 

Also what type of hookbait are you using pop up, wafter, bottom bait? 

For inlines I use the fox tadpole set up with fox inline leads, then just a 4-5 inch rig with a soft braid and some shrink tube to help the hook turn, doesn't need to be complicated a knot less knot rig will work in a bag fine, don't get too bogged down with rigs, there isn't a wonder rig that will catch them if they aren't in front of you 

There is plenty of good videos out there now for beginners but there is nothing wrong with what you are using now. It will catch fish 

it will depend on what you are fishing over bottom wise as to what material you use as a hook link.

a softer hook link will end up nearer to your lead than say a semi stiff or stiff 

1 hour ago, Thelad said:

Thanks for the reply 

So a soft braid inside the bag but what about the solid bag? While I will use them for most of my fishing, there will be times that they won’t be effective. 

I’m definitely confused over the difference between semi-stiff and stiff hooklinks in general, although your answer has helped me understand a lot. 

I would use an inline lead, but again I’m new to this and don’t know how to make it semi fixed😂

I’m simply using a knotless knot, size 8 wide gape, mono hooklink and a swivel on the end. Nothing fancy whatsoever but am looking at some different rigs to learn how to tie.

You can tie the same rig with various hook link materials, braid, coated braid, mono, stiff mono like Amnesia or fluorocarbon. 

Each material will behave differently and some stiffer materials like mono may 'lie funny' on certain lakebeds. 

I would pretty much only use mono or even fluorocarbon on clear, weed free areas of hard bottomed lakes, clay, sand or gravel. Even then, on gravel, it only takes a nick in the line and it could break. These hook links, to be honest don't lend themselves to going in a PVA bag. 

Braid can be used on pretty much any lakebeds, over weed, gravel, silt, anything. It is also nicely supple, so can be 'folded' into PVA bags. 

Coated braids I use a lot, you can strip a section near the hook for flexibility, a softer supple section, or use stiffer. Even in weed to some extent they are camouflaged, and look like weed stems. They are basically a cross between stiff and supple. 

If your rig is working, then stick with it, however I personally found on some or even most waters, the addition of tubing to lengthen the hook shank improves hooking, a line aligner can help even more. 

10 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Coated braids I use a lot, you can strip a section near the hook for flexibility, a softer supple section, or use stiffer. Even in weed to some extent they are camouflaged, and look like weed stems. They are basically a cross between stiff and supple. 

Thanks mate 

Can you explain how I would go about “stripping” a section of the line? 

Also I’m looking at the Nash Skin-link semi stiff for fishing without a bag, and the Avid Carp pin down braid for when I do use a bag. Anyone know of these, or are most braided lines practically the same and the branding etc doesn’t really matter?

Thanks again for all the help