Chod chucking

elmoputney

As the weed and lilies die back it would appear there are lots of places previously not reachable, a lot of spots become choddy and less pleasing, I feel this could be a good value way to always be presented when trying to find those tricky elusive carp that seem to go missing at this time of year and having reeled in some bloodworm this morning from the edge of the pads 

When chod chucking, what are the things to avoid at this time of year? Is it bad/risky to launch one right into dying lilies or weed ? 

Just thinking out loud cheers 

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

As the weed and lilies die back it would appear there are lots of places previously not reachable, a lot of spots become choddy and less pleasing, I feel this could be a good value way to always be presented when trying to find those tricky elusive carp that seem to go missing at this time of year and having reeled in some bloodworm this morning from the edge of the pads 

When chod chucking, what are the things to avoid at this time of year? Is it bad/risky to launch one right into dying lilies or weed ? 

Interested in this as I have never “chodded” either

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Firstly I'd lead about the area where you pulled the bloodworm in from and hope to find "a spot" or better still "the spot". And also lead about other swims/areas you might intend on fishing into late autumn/ winter. 

Failing that I'd happily put a  chod anywhere. I know the way I set it up is safe so have no issues casting it anywhere. 

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I would have thought target the edge of the pads , not right into the pads as any exposed roots / rhizomes are pretty vicious .

😃

3 hours ago, emmcee said:

3 hours ago, emmcee said:

Firstly I'd lead about the area where you pulled the bloodworm in from and hope to find "a spot" or better still "the spot". And also lead about other swims/areas you might intend on fishing into late autumn/ winter. 

Failing that I'd happily put a  chod anywhere. I know the way I set it up is safe so have no issues casting it anywhere. 

I had already been fishing on the "the spot" it's one I know quite well, but it is changing a bit due to the weeds and pads dying so was thinking of exploring it around it more , i have been fishing 2 rods on it and another elsewhere but just thought a roving chod may be a better use of the 3rd rod than overcrowding it 

But I was thinking more if I go to other swims, I would still have a lead about spots are always handy to find but as there is so much old weed and pads to explore, I just quite fancy being able to lob something at showing fish or somewhere that is a little different or workable,or in dying weed or pads, I do think my time on that spot as sole user is done as it seems to have become quite popular recently 😢 but one door closes another opens as they say, and I am quite keen to try a few more doors now tbh 

3 hours ago, crusian said:

I would have thought target the edge of the pads , not right into the pads as any exposed roots / rhizomes are pretty vicious .

😃

I've had a few close shaves with them but actually not lost any tackle in them yet, I have been fishing the edges for a while and have accidently cast quite far into them with a rig a few times  😁

4 hours ago, framey said:

Interested in this as I have never “chodded” either

I kind of missed the chod explosion, but the more I've watched the more it seems to be something I could use but I never really have either, 👍lockquote widgetblockquote widget

Edited by elmoputney

Chods are a great rig in the right kind of weed up until you drop a real big fish haven't really used a chod since i left KWP you can get one to sit nice on thick silk weed. Very easy for the fish to blow the rig at any point after picking it up though, very sharp barbed hooks are a must as big as you think you can get away with.

My preferred pop up rig that is a withy/chod style rig has to be the reverse combi. 

so now I've become comfortable with the idea, what is the best /safest set up, would you go with a helisafe or something to drop the lead or not? 

Naked, fluoro leader, or leadless braided leader , Leadcore is banned 

My current preference is the Gardner camflex leadfree leader splices like a dream, and sinks well too, 

1 hour ago, framey said:

I would use a safety bead on the top 

I use Korda but yesterday I saw a company called poltergeist tackel sell the set up 

maybe the guy who sells tackle here with the forum discount may be able to help

Thanks I do have a couple of bits already, I've got some covert tungsten beads, and some of the drop off beads, I'm pretty certain that part will be safe with either of those, I am more uncertain about whether to drop the lead or not, I've recently switched to lead clips and the last fish I caught I dropped the lead, this had made me think I am quite happy to drop the lead as it came in so much easier 😳

I'm never one for dropping the lead off on helicopter setups. It is the lead that allows the rig to be ejected if you get a break off. 

I have pictures on here for a naked setup using tubing to protect the mainline, but there are Cox and Rawle beach beads that do the same job, just do not glue them, and leave the open bead at the rod tip end. 

Coated braid, fluorocarbon or nylon hook links. 

6 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I'm never one for dropping the lead off on helicopter setups.

A good angler I know is the same, but my thoughts were that when fishing a short hook link or chod. The lead would end up beating the fish to death in the battle. His jaw dropped when I illustrated it to him. 

Personally I prefer to know the lead will drop on the rare occasions I've used that set up. 

On 28/10/2020 at 09:59, elmoputney said:

I've gone for some Gardner c clip chod drop out lead things, they seem to be the solution I wanted, should work when i need them too and not drop the lead needlessly 

Love him or loathe him take a look at how Shelley does his chod set up. It's how I've always tied mine and set mine up and never had a problem with this way and never dropped the lead. The lead staying on is what enables the hook link to come off the leadcore/leader. If the lead is dropped then its harder for the leader to snag up and therefore the hooklink can't pull off. 

1 hour ago, emmcee said:

Love him or loathe him take a look at how Shelley does his chod set up. It's how I've always tied mine and set mine up and never had a problem with this way and never dropped the lead. The lead staying on is what enables the hook link to come off the leadcore/leader. If the lead is dropped then its harder for the leader to snag up and therefore the hooklink can't pull off. 

I've started to really quite like him lately been watching his cypography episodes, I am off fishing In a bit will have a look, my c clips didn't arrive so will be just using a clip today if I use them anyway cheers 👍