September Catch Reports

yonny

Well, look at what you're doing right first buddy,,

You're getting a take, arguably the most important start to the puzzle! 

So, slowly tweak your rig until you bank every bite. 

Without telling you how to suck eggs, one by one one alter the hook link length, hook pattern, hair length, etc. 

Eventually it the puzzle will fit into place. It's all part of the adventure to your quest👍

On Thursday I popped over to the res on one of my weekly baiting trips, with a day sesh due on the Friday. As soon as I arrived I just knew I'd struggle to sleep that night (due to excitement for the next day). It looked absolutely BANGING, there is just no other word for it. I saw a couple of carp show, and there was fizzing on my spot. It was almost a shame to ruin it by chucking spombs all over the place but that's what I was there for so that's what I did.

At home afterwards the Mrs got a right earful about how confident I was, what I was going to catch, etc etc. Poor girl lol. I did struggle to sleep, I was waking every 45 mins and checking the time. Eventually it got to 04:30 and I couldn't wait any longer. Up and at them. I got to the gate way too early and had to sit waiting until 05:45 which is when you're allowed in. I headed directly to my area on this occasion, I had no desire to do a lap or check for signs of carp elsewhere. I was itching to get the rods out.

Half hour later and they've all gone out first time so I sit back and survey the scene. I see..... zilch. No shows, no fizzing, no nothing. I wait, and wait, and by 08:00 I'm thinking I must be at a different lake to the one I saw last night. I'm pacing up and down the bank looking for an opportunity somewhere. By 09:00 I'm sitting searching the far reaches of the water with my bino's having still not seen a single carp. It's much colder than I expected, the wind has picked up, and it has a bite to it. I'm just thinking this has killed it when the right hand rod rips off.

Last week I started baiting a new spot having had no luck on my main spot. This is the first time I've put a rig on it and it's away so it's a very promising start. The fish is only a stocky common but I'm not moaning. It's a real pretty fish, dark in colour, and it confirms the carp are still in the area. I take some selfies and send her back.

20200911_095007-1.thumb.jpg.775e27c688fb0244f653b016f147cf43.jpg

With the fish returned I have renewed confidence in my swim. I make a cuppa and keep watching and it isn't long before a carp sticks its head out right in front of me. Another shows to my right not long after, and I'm now expecting another bite. At 11:00 that bite comes and it's off my man spot which is GREAT news as I was beginning to lose faith in it. The fish puts up a good fight and when I see it roll I notice this massive scale on it's shoulder and I recognise it. It's one I had during last years little campaign, another stocky, but looking significantly bigger than last time. I have to say it's pig ugly, a big round simmo looking thing with absolutely massive fins and a huge tail. That said, I do love a character, so I'm happy either way. Couple of selfies and back she goes.

20200911_121327-1.thumb.jpg.541b954918b3650b22a7b32c3a76580b.jpg

So now I've had a bite on both spots the confidence is growing big time. I've put a lot of time, effort, and bait into getting this area sorted and it's nice to see it paying off. Obviously stockies and repeats are not what I'm after but I know that the handful of big originals like this area and I'm certain it's now just a matter of time until I get amongst them. Lunch time comes and goes and while I don't see a great deal I do spot the odd sign that tells me they're still about. I try to have a kip but I struggle as I'm still pretty excited. By 14:00 I've given up on sleep and just as I sit down with a cuppa to watch the water one of the rods absolutely melts off.

This one fights hard, it has some weight to it, and it goes straight through my other lines, A bit of knit-one-purl-one and a lot of pulling goes on to get it anywhere near the bank. Again, I recognise the fish as it rolls. It's massive head comes out fist followed by a big old sandy coloured flank. It's one I've photographed for a pal last year. A proper one in every sense of the word, old as the hills and looking big. It doesn't cause me much drama at the net (thank god) and it's not long before it's resting in my retainer. I give my mate a call to help with the shots of this one.

On the bank she's looking pristine. These originals are mental looking. Big leathery brutes with high backs, little melted pecs and wonderful heart shaped tails. They remind me of the old Yateley fish a bit, and they have almost as much history. I can't help but wonder what this carp has seen since the late 70s when she was stocked as I hold her up for the photos. Otters, drainings, floodings, and more than 40 years of angling pressure do not seem to have bothered her one bit. Her old and wrinkly skin is dotted with little battle scars but in many ways she's looking good as new.

20200911_150331-1.thumb.jpg.21c5ad5d7bb1162d50e0591cd617aace.jpg

We get some water shots and I can't help but feel a little honoured as I hold her in the water letting her recover. She goes back strong and I wonder how many more years these carp will be here and how many more anglers they'll make happy. I get the rod back out but it's getting tricky as the wind has picked up big time. I put an extra half a wrap on to compensate for the bow on the cast, it's the best I can do for now, but I'm not 100% happy. Long story short the afternoon flies by and before I know it we're heading towards 20:00 which is kick-out time. The sun had come out and with blue skies the conditions didn't look so good. I had seen signs way, way off the back of my spot as they headed out of range. I had almost expected another bite but obviously I'm not moaning one bit with my result.

So yeah, great session, the area is coming together and I had a proper one, couldn't really ask for much more. This days-only thing is hard work at times, it requires real effort to get something going, but it looks like I might be getting there.  Roll on the next sesh.

20200911_150435-1.thumb.jpg.86a8ecb326df1fc5bd7aff6b6cb3de02.jpg

On 14/09/2020 at 10:44, yonny said:

On Thursday I popped over to the res on one of my weekly baiting trips, with a day sesh due on the Friday. As soon as I arrived I just knew I'd struggle to sleep that night (due to excitement for the next day). It looked absolutely BANGING, there is just no other word for it. I saw a couple of carp show, and there was fizzing on my spot. It was almost a shame to ruin it by chucking spombs all over the place but that's what I was there for so that's what I did.

At home afterwards the Mrs got a right earful about how confident I was, what I was going to catch, etc etc. Poor girl lol. I did struggle to sleep, I was waking every 45 mins and checking the time. Eventually it got to 04:30 and I couldn't wait any longer. Up and at them. I got to the gate way too early and had to sit waiting until 05:45 which is when you're allowed in. I headed directly to my area on this occasion, I had no desire to do a lap or check for signs of carp elsewhere. I was itching to get the rods out.

Half hour later and they've all gone out first time so I sit back and survey the scene. I see..... zilch. No shows, no fizzing, no nothing. I wait, and wait, and by 08:00 I'm thinking I must be at a different lake to the one I saw last night. I'm pacing up and down the bank looking for an opportunity somewhere. By 09:00 I'm sitting searching the far reaches of the water with my bino's having still not seen a single carp. It's much colder than I expected, the wind has picked up, and it has a bite to it. I'm just thinking this has killed it when the right hand rod rips off.

Last week I started baiting a new spot having had no luck on my main spot. This is the first time I've put a rig on it and it's away so it's a very promising start. The fish is only a stocky common but I'm not moaning. It's a real pretty fish, dark in colour, and it confirms the carp are still in the area. I take some selfies and send her back.

20200911_095007-1.thumb.jpg.775e27c688fb0244f653b016f147cf43.jpg

With the fish returned I have renewed confidence in my swim. I make a cuppa and keep watching and it isn't long before a carp sticks its head out right in front of me. Another shows to my right not long after, and I'm now expecting another bite. At 11:00 that bite comes and it's off my man spot which is GREAT news as I was beginning to lose faith in it. The fish puts up a good fight and when I see it roll I notice this massive scale on it's shoulder and I recognise it. It's one I had during last years little campaign, another stocky, but looking significantly bigger than last time. I have to say it's pig ugly, a big round simmo looking thing with absolutely massive fins and a huge tail. That said, I do love a character, so I'm happy either way. Couple of selfies and back she goes.

20200911_121327-1.thumb.jpg.541b954918b3650b22a7b32c3a76580b.jpg

So now I've had a bite on both spots the confidence is growing big time. I've put a lot of time, effort, and bait into getting this area sorted and it's nice to see it paying off. Obviously stockies and repeats are not what I'm after but I know that the handful of big originals like this area and I'm certain it's now just a matter of time until I get amongst them. Lunch time comes and goes and while I don't see a great deal I do spot the odd sign that tells me they're still about. I try to have a kip but I struggle as I'm still pretty excited. By 14:00 I've given up on sleep and just as I sit down with a cuppa to watch the water one of the rods absolutely melts off.

This one fights hard, it has some weight to it, and it goes straight through my other lines, A bit of knit-one-purl-one and a lot of pulling goes on to get it anywhere near the bank. Again, I recognise the fish as it rolls. It's massive head comes out fist followed by a big old sandy coloured flank. It's one I've photographed for a pal last year. A proper one in every sense of the word, old as the hills and looking big. It doesn't cause me much drama at the net (thank god) and it's not long before it's resting in my retainer. I give my mate a call to help with the shots of this one.

On the bank she's looking pristine. These originals are mental looking. Big leathery brutes with high backs, little melted pecs and wonderful heart shaped tails. They remind me of the old Yateley fish a bit, and they have almost as much history. I can't help but wonder what this carp has seen since the late 70s when she was stocked as I hold her up for the photos. Otters, drainings, floodings, and more than 40 years of angling pressure do not seem to have bothered her one bit. Her old and wrinkly skin is dotted with little battle scars but in many ways she's looking good as new.

20200911_150331-1.thumb.jpg.21c5ad5d7bb1162d50e0591cd617aace.jpg

We get some water shots and I can't help but feel a little honoured as I hold her in the water letting her recover. She goes back strong and I wonder how many more years these carp will be here and how many more anglers they'll make happy. I get the rod back out but it's getting tricky as the wind has picked up big time. I put an extra half a wrap on to compensate for the bow on the cast, it's the best I can do for now, but I'm not 100% happy. Long story short the afternoon flies by and before I know it we're heading towards 20:00 which is kick-out time. The sun had come out and with blue skies the conditions didn't look so good. I had seen signs way, way off the back of my spot as they headed out of range. I had almost expected another bite but obviously I'm not moaning one bit with my result.

So yeah, great session, the area is coming together and I had a proper one, couldn't really ask for much more. This days-only thing is hard work at times, it requires real effort to get something going, but it looks like I might be getting there.  Roll on the next sesh.

20200911_150435-1.thumb.jpg.86a8ecb326df1fc5bd7aff6b6cb3de02.jpg

I’ve realise after reading this and looking at the great pics I need to go fishing... so just got off the phone to postpone a decorating job and me and a mate are off to Linear for a 48hr on the 28th of this month. .... Thanks Yonny 

12 hours ago, Big Bass said:

I’ve realise after reading this and looking at the great pics I need to go fishing... so just got off the phone to postpone a decorating job and me and a mate are off to Linear for a 48hr on the 28th of this month. .... Thanks Yonny 

Nice, what lake will you be fishing, hunts corner has always appealed to me but for a one off flying visit it would be hard not to jump on one of the runs waters plenty of twenties and a fair few thirties, although got it on good grapevine that some of the bigger fish from Brasenose 1&2 have been moved around, couple of Romanian lads fish matches on there they have been known to get into the lakes bigger ones.