What’s the scariest experience you’ve had whilst carp fishing?

Brutus

As the title says, what’s been your scariest moment carping?

Today, whilst fishing, I experienced someone hiding behind the trees and heavy breathing, this was at night time. I shone my head torch on for what ever it was to run off.

packed up most of my gear in two minutes flat and then I get a run on the rod that was out.

quickest landing, unhooking and pop back I’ve ever encountered. Plus sides, I’ve obviously still got it. I also didn’t blank...

So what are your tales?

16 hours ago, Brutus said:

Today, whilst fishing, I experienced someone hiding behind the trees and heavy breathing, this was at night time. I shone my head torch on for what ever it was to run off.

packed up most of my gear in two minutes flat and then I get a run on the rod that was out.

quickest landing, unhooking and pop back I’ve ever encountered. Plus sides, I’ve obviously still got it. I also didn’t blank...

So what are your tales?

And you're safe ,Brutus .

😃

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/08/2020 at 22:57, Brutus said:

So what are your tales?

Aha don't suppose he was wearing a white boiler suite and a ski mask?? 😂 

I went out river fishing for carp last Thursday evening to a spot I've seen and caught  a few carp from. Arrived at location around 6pm  raked my spot got gear in order ect and started fishing around 8.30pm

Around 10:15pm I hear almost  footsteps, more of a rustling sound 

So I open bivvy door to see a white silhouette walk past around 20 yards away 

I ask are you OK mate 

He just ignores me and turns his headlight off 

At this point I'm thinking what the (I know this naughty word is banned but I decided to use it any way because I can't control myself) is someone doing in out here and why is he ignoring me 

So i decided to stay outside tent and make a tea, just to see if he/she walks back 

By the time the kettle had boiled I could see this individual walking back down towards me with head torch on.. As he approached i  called you OK mate? He turns his light off and as he walks past I realise he's wearing a boiler suite fully done up with hood up and  all I could see was a black ski mask 🤪🤪😪🤢  as he goes past he just looks back  

The chills it gave me pure fear 😂😂😂 and not embarrassed to say 

And to top it off as I'm stuffing my gear into the van 

My alarms start going mental... I'm thinking nooooo he's robbing my rods 😂 😂 lucky it wasnt the looney in the boiler suite 

Have never packed up so quickly 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dupont-tyvek-classic-hooded-coverall-white-x-large-42-46-chest-31-l/24714?tc=VB5&ds_kid=92700048793290415&ds_rl=1244069&gclid=CjwKCAjwyo36BRAXEiwA24CwGcdlSPn-_N3R5jiSyPSRyYniUfo2tG2Q9Mh7PunerAqfHyVH9k9LDBoCJt8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

16 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

At least you two aren't fishing on my baited spots any more 😂

That reminds me must take my boiler suit to the dry cleaners, 👹👻

Seriously though I think I might done a Todd in my pants and packed up too, no need for that sort of behavior at night when you are fishing 👀

😂😂😂😂

See you next Thursday 🎣🎣 

Seriously won't be going to that spot on my own again mukka. 

Not right at all. It was a Feeling I haven't experienced before anyway 

Edited by Marvoulous barbless

6 minutes ago, Marvoulous barbless said:

😂😂😂😂

See you next Thursday 🎣🎣 

Seriously won't be going to that spot on my own again mukka. 

Not right at all. It was a Feeling I haven't experienced before anyway 

Perhaps you should report it to the police, it certainly wasn't normal behavior, could just be someone really paranoid about catching covid 19 though 

Blimey, that sounds wierd.

the boiler suit and someone walking about foolishly I’d almost expect. The silence and the look back. Wow, I’m not surprised you didn’t feel right. Not about having the Higgins and pretending, that’s wierd.

went back to the lake and had a session. Luckily wasn’t alone. Another weirdo turned up “thought he was the only one here” wanted a chat and to borrow weights but didn’t know what sort as he’s just started out. I had my torch at eye level and didn’t take it out of his eyes. This was at midnight. I’m sure I’m not alone in thinking you don’t go disturbing people at midnight. 

Did a 24 hour on a "specimen" lake down in Hampshire one night. Never visited there before, took the missus with me as there was a small wooden lodge that she could sleep in.

About 11pm we heard these noises coming from the bushes behind the lodge, and heavy breathing. Frightened the blooming life out of us. It was deathly quiet but could keep hearing these footsteps.

Finally plucked up the courage to go take a looksee. It was a sheep that had got out of the field and was trying to get to the lodge for something to eat.

Last year a mate had just landed a decent fish when he blacked out and fell into the lake. I jumped in and gave him CPR while he was in the lake, it took four people to lift him out, 20stone of wet (living) but unconscious angler.

Scared? Hell I was. He was in hospital for a few days but is alive and well.

It still gives me goosbumps thinking about it.

Otherwise, the sounds of a hedgehog with his head stuck in a dropped tin can is quite spooky, banging against a tree trunk just off the path as you walk round the lake in the dark, as is waking up on The Meadow swim at Taverham with a horse halfway inside the bivvy; its head, breathing and snuffling right next to mine.

A mate also got woken up there by a fox coming inside his bivvy at night.

I've had the occasional 'ghostly' experience, but not really been scared by them.

Dave Moxon and I back in the 1980's were night fishing for tench, carp and bream, our brollies pushed together and a plastic screen over the top to keep damp off, when around 1am a figure walked past us. The path had no access except at either end, river on one side, lake on the other so we looked all the way along and found no-one there. If it was human it must have run along the path in the dark with no torch!

Slightly off topic but I gave some kids a night to remember. I was all night barbel fishing right out in the sticks when at 3 in the morning I heard some kids on the far bank coming down from half a mile away singing what could be described as "racist rugby songs". When they got opposite to where I was fishing, I dipped my isotope underwater and let out a piercing werewolf howl! They absolutely crapped their selves and and a few more howls had them running away. Well worth disturbing the swim I was fishing at the time and I dare say tales of the "Beast of Wiltshire" still get told!

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had a few but 2 I mainly remember were on the river. One night when I was asleep I woke to hear lots of footsteps behind my bivvy, getting closer then scratching the back of the bivvy, I dive out to see what was going on, there was like 50 cows behind my bivvy with one licking it lol. Can’t explain how relieved I was to see the cows lol

another time me and a friend were doing a night on the river, must of been about 16 at the time, we were outside the bivvys having smoke around midnight, when two men entered the field and started walking towards us, we weren’t sure what to do so just stood there and waited out, they walked directly at us, when they were a few yards away my mate asked what they were doing. They replied they’ve been on the mdma all night and wanted to go for a magical walk along the river 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Had a chat for a while and off they went, never seen them again 😂😂