Resistance on the line after cast

maccadinho25

Hi, read the forum off and on for a while but wanted to ask a quick question after getting back out fishing recently.

Im pretty useless with knots and rigs etc and tend to use pre tied/pre made systems so ive been using an ESP helirig and hook length clipped on - when i cast i wait for the line to settle and start to tighten up but every time i get resistance on the line as if the lead is stuck on something for 2 seconds or so and then moving the rod it releases and i can settle the rod down with the line tight.

Its always made me question what that initial resistance is - if its normal or something im using/doing causing a problem - any ideas what this random explanation is talking about?! I feel like i could lose bait with that initial pull and maybe i should just leave it after it hits the water.

Hope it makes sense!

It might be due to being plugged into clay, sand, silt or in between/on gravel. Absolutely no issue with it at all. I cast out and leave it, never pull back after casting as when you pull it after casting like you do you could easily drag the hook into debris or into gravel and damage the hook point. Cast it in and tighten up to it, that's it. 

3 hours ago, maccadinho25 said:

Hi, read the forum off and on for a while but wanted to ask a quick question after getting back out fishing recently.

Im pretty useless with knots and rigs etc and tend to use pre tied/pre made systems so ive been using an ESP helirig and hook length clipped on - when i cast i wait for the line to settle and start to tighten up but every time i get resistance on the line as if the lead is stuck on something for 2 seconds or so and then moving the rod it releases and i can settle the rod down with the line tight.

Its always made me question what that initial resistance is - if its normal or something im using/doing causing a problem - any ideas what this random explanation is talking about?! I feel like i could lose bait with that initial pull and maybe i should just leave it after it hits the water.

Hope it makes sense!

Even if you 'land' on gravel there is often a layer of silt on it. The lead plugs in, you drag it free, then you tighten the line.

Best bet is to cast, gently reel in, slowly, until the line tightens, do NOT move the lead.

Try pulling your hook length through a small pva bag of stick mix it would protect your hook when you pull and give you time to straighten the rig. Sounds like it’s a shallow water ? Feather the line before the rig hits the water which would help with the plunging of the lead weight. 
Good luck 👍

If you are fishing with a heli setup and casting on something not rock hard, like silt or soft clay the lead will often bury a bit in the debris. When you pull the line the lead will therefore be harder to eject from the bottom but after you have "unplugged" it, it will be easier to drag across the bottom. 
I wouldn't recommend moving the lead at all though unless for recast since if you do you have no idea what your rig is pulling into. You might very well pick up debris or blunt your hook if fished on gravel or such.