Patrol Routes

bobstains

Hello all,

What are your thoughts or experience of patrol routes and how they differ with changing temps/weather, not necessarily summer/winter more one day to the next.

An example, do carp enter a bay area the same way on a hot day when they are in the upper layers, as opposed to a cooler, drizzly day.

Cheers,

Bob

I would say they change from day to day, depending on the situation, when I walk my kids to school they don't want to go the same way everyday, they like a slight change of scenery, I just think they can't do the same thing day in day out in exactly the same way there will be variables into what is happening , they may visit an area often, especially if there is a regular food source or something they like , but I would l assume they slightly change things 

I think you may be able to train them to go a certain way with regular baiting but maybe naturally it would probably vary (my kids would walk past the shop everyday if they thought they might get an ice cream or chocolate 😁

That is just my thoughts though and others may disagree 😁

Edited by elmoputney

I agree that they will change slightly day to day... Fish dont turn up in the same place at the same time every single day. A lot of variables will effect it; features, weed, sunlight, temperature, food availability, angling pressure, predation, etc.

I've found that when fish turn up in areas they tend to have a routine when there, certain areas the stick to. It's not often there is a set route they take all the time however there sometimes is. One lake I fished has a old stream channel in it, full of silt now but about 6-12 inches deeper than the rest of the surrounding lakebed...the fish would follow this on their way from the island to a bi overhanging willow they would hole up in. The reason the followed it will never be known but it's most likely because it was a feature in an otherwise barren lakebed. 

1 hour ago, bobstains said:

An example, do carp enter a bay area the same way on a hot day when they are in the upper layers, as opposed to a cooler, drizzly day.

I think the bigger question is whether they'd get in the bay at all if it's a cold drizzly day.

14 minutes ago, greekskii said:

A lot of variables will effect it; features, weed, sunlight, temperature, food availability, angling pressure, predation, etc.

This imo^^^^^^^

From my experience the more snags present in a lake has a big impact on fish routes & routines . As they move from one cover to the next & so on . I've sat and watched fish go from snag to snag , normally moving on when another group of fish move in to the snag .... it was almost like watching a conveyor belt .  I think some fish have a day to day routine which doesn't really change much at all .... repeat captures years apart has proven that to me . really interesting subject & if you crack it on a lake .... fill your boots time .😁