Advice for Carp retail business

Reedy11

Hey everyone!

It's been quite some time since I've posted on here, I first came to carp.com when I was really new in to carp fishing, asked about 1000 questions and everyone on here was really helpful.

Over the last 3 years I've been desperate to do more with my life and have finally decided to start my own online fishing retail company!

So once again I come to you guys for your tips and advice but in a different nature this time. 

Here's where I've got to so far:

Company started

Sourced a manufacturer for my own branded hooks range!

Got a trade deal for bait 

Linked in a clothing company to my website

Created and grown social media accounts with groups that people are getting involved in

Now i'm just waiting for the right time to place that first big order of bait so I can launch the business and start trading.

I'm so excited about whats to come but I'm looking for someone to help with tips on how to make the launch as successful as possible, and hope that when I do I can rely on all the guys at carp.com to give me some feedback on how the site looks and what they want to see on there :)

Stay safe everyone and tight lines!

Jason

5 minutes ago, framey said:

Be on the ball for customer service 

deliver within a decent time frame 

keep the prices keen 

oh

don’t play drum and bass music on videos keep it generic Lol

Hey Framey, 

Thanks for your advice pal.

I'm really pleased that I can tick those boxes :) haha I wont be playing any drum and bass music that's for sure! I will probably make some videos after selling the first few batches of stock, it will be good to get out on the bank and really test the range. I have a DSLR too so I can film it :) I would probably rather give some away and get someone more experienced to do it though! But we'll just have to see.

Thanks,

Jason

7 minutes ago, framey said:

Be on the ball for customer service 

deliver within a decent time frame 

keep the prices keen 

oh

don’t play drum and bass music on videos keep it generic Lol

You forgot give carp.commers a healthy discount 😁

I don't mind the urban banx d and b, at least its hard-core, better than all that house music they try and set the scene with more punk music for videos I say 🎧

Get yourself a good lose leader something that sells due to being a necessity and sell it it at cost or even a lose so long as it is a fair bit cheaper than elsewhere, Spombs as an example, if you can get full wholesale discount you could shift them cheap, 

I do think in carp angling there is a bit of a gentleman's agreement in operation prices seem to be fixed as a standard in retail sales, all the big items such as bivvys and barrows are priced the same all round.  Stocks are low at the mo, a lot of barrows and bivvys are out of stock

Edited by Carpbell_ll

1 minute ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Get yourself a good lose leader something that sells due to being a necessity and sell it it at cost or even a lose so long as it is a fair bit cheaper than elsewhere, Spombs as an example, if you can get full wholesale discount you could shift them cheap, 

I do think in carp angling there is a bit of a gentleman's agreement in operation prices seem to be fixed as a slandered in retail sales, all the big items such as bivvys and barrows are priced the same all round.  Stocks are low at the mo, a lot of barrows and bivvys are out of stock

Good shout, thats what I'm trying to do with my bait to start with, making it a bit cheaper than you can get elsewhere, especially as bait is an essential! Then you're right I need another one or two things that are cheap and drive traffic to the website.

Definitely, its the same with everything really, petrol for example, if the station across the road undercuts their competitors, they then have to match that drop and so on and they both lose out in the end

I don't have the storage capacity yet for things like rods/bivvys etc but that's certinately a future plan.

4 hours ago, Reedy11 said:

I don't have the storage capacity yet for things like rods/bivvys etc but that's certinately a future plan.

It's difficult market mate. I was chatting to the guy that ran Carp Superstore (recently closed down). He was telling me that Angling Direct were selling reels at a price cheaper than he could get them at cost. It is just so hard to compete with their buying power.

Worry about that later though!

Good luck with your plans fella.

I do like the cone PVA bags, sticking to bait and baiting up tools and end tackle should help keep you competitive, didn't think that carp super store would last long small shops seem to do better when on a big lake site.  AD will be the only large shop the way they are heading. 

There are lots of other little shops that just sell, terminal tackle, hooks, rig bits, pva etc, clothing, and they all seem to have similar products, what will make yours different,? I know a lot of these seem to sell the same stuff rebranded are you going to sell on ebay, amazon I know most of these also do to drive custom towards there own site, then you have to factor in fees etc, 

Also you need the bait company you are using to be super reliable,and good, it will give you a bad name quickly if people are let down on there bait and bits for the Weekend 

Hope this helps 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey everyone, just reopening this as it's finally live, thanks for all your advice, please check it out :) We have a launch promo too LAUNCHPARTY10 - Https://hookedgear.co.uk

Our stock is limited as we're still really new but the prices are competitive and always will be. As we make more sales we'll grow the variety.

Edited by Reedy11