Line gathering at bottom of spool like a cone when respooling

• 1 year later...

Hey guys I’ve resurrected this thread (like I always do) as I’ve got the same problem.

Respooled all 3 of my Evo’s this afternoon with Gardner pro carp line.

First 2 reels , not a problem , perfect line lay , well happy .

The 3rd reel , my ‘new’ reel I , like a Donut , forgot to check the washers beneath the spool and hey presto , Cone Head Spool . 
I’ve removed the extra washer so it’s in line with my other 2 reels and , of course , the spool is still in a cone .

The lines only been on the reel for a couple of hours so I’m sure if I can get it off and put it on again it’ll be fine .

But how to ? 
I don’t have any spare spools to use so has anybody got any ideas ?  There’s not enough line left on the bulk spool to start from scratch so am I going to have to bite the bullet and buy some more line ?

or will a dozen or so casts and retrieves into the lake improve the line lay somewhat ?

Come on experts help me out here 😊 6 years ago I’d have worked this out or it wouldn’t have happened in the first place … 6 years on it feels like I’m learning everything again from scratch.

1 hour ago, newmarket said:

Hey guys I’ve resurrected this thread (like I always do) as I’ve got the same problem.

Respooled all 3 of my Evo’s this afternoon with Gardner pro carp line.

First 2 reels , not a problem , perfect line lay , well happy .

The 3rd reel , my ‘new’ reel I , like a Donut , forgot to check the washers beneath the spool and hey presto , Cone Head Spool . 
I’ve removed the extra washer so it’s in line with my other 2 reels and , of course , the spool is still in a cone .

The lines only been on the reel for a couple of hours so I’m sure if I can get it off and put it on again it’ll be fine .

But how to ? 
I don’t have any spare spools to use so has anybody got any ideas ?  There’s not enough line left on the bulk spool to start from scratch so am I going to have to bite the bullet and buy some more line ?

or will a dozen or so casts and retrieves into the lake improve the line lay somewhat ?

Come on experts help me out here 😊 6 years ago I’d have worked this out or it wouldn’t have happened in the first place … 6 years on it feels like I’m learning everything again from scratch.

Can you walk it off somewhere and reel it back on?

If not put onto a spare spool or reel and then back on.

50 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Can you walk it off somewhere and reel it back on?

If not put onto a spare spool or reel and then back on.

I’ve misplaced my spare spools over the years and all my other reels (and I have a few) are all freshly and nicely respooled and I’m a little reluctant to interfere with them I’d merely be transferring the problem elsewhere, having to replace THAT line if you follow me .

Im taking my little un fishing next week sometime and maybe I’ll be able to walk it out then though I wasn’t expecting to get the time to fish myself so I’ll have to see how it goes but Nick , wouldn’t casting and recasting a few times into a lake have the same effect ?

Edited by newmarket

Use an old line spool and bolt through 

go tie it to a fence on a field and open the bale arm and walk away

then wind it all back on again and walk towards it 

can use an old swivel and snap link to get the twist out as well if you need to if it’s a fence with the square holes in it

Edited by framey

2 hours ago, newmarket said:

I’ve misplaced my spare spools over the years and all my other reels (and I have a few) are all freshly and nicely respooled and I’m a little reluctant to interfere with them I’d merely be transferring the problem elsewhere, having to replace THAT line if you follow me .

Im taking my little un fishing next week sometime and maybe I’ll be able to walk it out then though I wasn’t expecting to get the time to fish myself so I’ll have to see how it goes but Nick , wouldn’t casting and recasting a few times into a lake have the same effect ?

You probably won't get all of the problem line out, whereas walking it all off will cure the problem

1 hour ago, emmcee said:

Use wrap sticks if you have them if not 2 bank sticks pushed in the ground a rod length apart. Reel onto a rod , tie one end to one of the sticks and keep wrapping until all line is off. 

That's a sensible idea would keep the line nice and tight and manageable to put back on 

38 minutes ago, emmcee said:

This is how I take line off my reels now. I know then that I'm taking off a pretty precise amount say 200yds. I then know what amount of line I have left on a bulk spool etc. 

My okuma spools take abiut a million yards of line so I went for a backing line, I worked it out so I should get enough for 3 reels from a spool of hydrotuff, I will just take it off to the backing and replace next time 

8 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

My okuma spools take abiut a million yards of line so I went for a backing line, I worked it out so I should get enough for 3 reels from a spool of hydrotuff, I will just take it off to the backing and replace next time 

This is what I have done, I've got about 200mtrs on each spool, and I've backed em up with an old spool of Daiwa Sensor (clear) so I know I'm upto the right spot. 

I was getting the same, all piling up at the top or either bottom, solved by adjusting the washers inside the reel, either add 1 or takeaway... 

I used another reel to wind off, the rewon it back onto the original spool... 

Presto.... On the 2nd picture it has slightly done it, but has worked off over time. 

Screenshot_20220111_091136.thumb.jpg.ba4afbfc2dc1e121ff359674b464dddf.jpg

Screenshot_20220111_091146.thumb.jpg.6dabe71c3a069b474f6d7d2373566247.jpg

Spare spools... 

Screenshot_20210713_104516.thumb.jpg.b99d4e0bf4977de20a576fb7e0cffe32.jpg

24 minutes ago, Highy said:

This is what I have done, I've got about 200mtrs on each spool, and I've backed em up with an old spool of Daiwa Sensor (clear) so I know I'm upto the right spot. 

I was getting the same, all piling up at the top or either bottom, solved by adjusting the washers inside the reel, either add 1 or takeaway... 

I used another reel to wind off, the rewon it back onto the original spool... 

Presto.... On the 2nd picture it has slightly done it, but has worked off over time. 

Screenshot_20220111_091136.thumb.jpg.ba4afbfc2dc1e121ff359674b464dddf.jpg

Screenshot_20220111_091146.thumb.jpg.6dabe71c3a069b474f6d7d2373566247.jpg

Spare spools... 

Screenshot_20210713_104516.thumb.jpg.b99d4e0bf4977de20a576fb7e0cffe32.jpg

Do you get the Prince song stuck In your head when you use the spare spools? 

I only want to see you fishing with that purple line 

Purple line, purple liiiiine 

Just incase you are a bit younger than me 😂

14 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

Have you looked to see if you can pick up another cheap spare spool off fleabay? 

That  , I will be doing sir .

Winding it onto a spare spool and then back onto the original spool won’t put it on back to front or upside down or anything ? 🤣

You know what I mean , the old clockwise /anti-clockwise thing .. difficult for me to explain but I’m sure you know what I mean lol

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I’ve now got my spare spool and I want to Respool my one with the dodgy cone looking thingy from above post 🙄.

So , do I literally throw it in a bucket of water , put it on my reel and that’s that ?

Or do I have to do it twice , off the spool and then back on again to make sure it goes on in the right direction/clockwise/anti clockwise ?

I really don’t get this stuff 🤦🏼‍♂️

Ok well either everybody’s out fishing or they can’t help me , that’s fair enough 😊

Anyway I’ve had to try again as weekends is the only time I get to do this stuff , so , I’ve taken a washer off so that it’s the same as my other 2 reels in an attempt to get rid of this ‘coning’ on the spool and respooled in exactly the same way as I respooled my other reels and it turned out exactly the same , maybe even worse , right to the brim at the back and middle , about a centimetre from the brim at the front 🤦🏼‍♂️
Im now at my wits end 😡.

Edited by newmarket