Daiwa reel problem.

I was wondering if one of you knowledgeable lads can help me out. I've got a problem with one of my Daiwa crosscast 5000 qda reels. I reversed the line on the spools today instead of changing it all, I soaked the spools in water for 20 minutes and then just wound  the line onto the spare spool. The first one was fine, when I did the second one exactly the same procedure I come to put the spool back on the reel and the qd isn't working properly, it does loosen but it isn't free running as it should be 😥. Anybody got any ideas to what it could be?

Thanks Keith. 🙂👍

22 minutes ago, framey said:

Possibly needs a bit of grease on the washers ?

or maybe there’s Grit or dirt or something in the cap somewhere

I've actually tried a couple of spare spools that I have and they are the same. Do you mean the washers on the shaft? They do seem to be pretty well greased up already,  the reels aren't that old, they are out of warranty though. Thanks for your reply. 🙂👍

6 minutes ago, Big Bass said:

What about that silver v on mine it moves do yours ?

49E945EE-0D33-4FBA-A297-146C52AEB27D.jpeg

Yes mate no  problems with that. I think framey might be right I think it's the washers in the spool cap. I think because I left the spool soaking in  water I might of done something to the washers, I'm going to strip the spool tomorrow and check them. I've tried my spare spool again and it isn't as bad. I'm also  going to have a look at my other reel to compare them. 🙂👍

21 hours ago, framey said:

Possibly needs a bit of grease on the washers ?

or maybe there’s Grit or dirt or something in the cap somewhere

You were right framey once I worked out which washers you were talking about I'm not really that clued up on reels. The washers were a bit dry so i've ordered some washer grease off the bay this morning, 

Thanks very much for your help framey. 🙂👍

13 minutes ago, finchey said:

You were right framey once I worked out which washers you were talking about I'm not really that clued up on reels. The washers were a bit dry so i've ordered some washer grease off the bay this morning, 

Thanks very much for your help framey. 🙂👍

Don’t thank me Yet it might not be it lol
tbh I don’t think there is much to a reel so it can’t be a lot 

9 minutes ago, framey said:

It's only one out of three spools and it's the one I had soaking in water. Do you think with me having submerged in water that could of caused the problem? it was ok before I put it in the water.   🙂👍

Edited by finchey

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/05/2020 at 17:09, framey said:

Quick update reel is sorted it was the washers, all greased up now as good as new again. 😁👍🎣

• 2 years later...
10 minutes ago, Ben1993 said:

Can I see the part that was broken mate my qd has also stopped working properly 

There was nothing broken mate it was just the washers in  the spool that needed re greasing. The free spool  had just gone really tight and wasn't working properly but with a clean and fresh grease it was back to normal. I just bought some washer grease off ebay. What's the problem with yours mate?

18 minutes ago, Ben1993 said:

I caught a fish as normal reel was on put it back re casted went to set the drag and noticed it wasn't working mate took the cap off n spool put it back on still the same not setting a drag  

Sounds like a bit more serious than what happened to mine mate, my qd was just tighter than normal, sorry I can't help you with that one mate. 

• 7 months later...

I'm not claiming to be an expert, but if it's only accessing about half the spool, adding or taking away washers probably isn't going to solve it. Sounds like a pin on the rotor may have come adrift, hence why you're not getting the full travel of the spool. If you're confident, take off the outer casing and reassemble and turn the handle to see what's happening inside. Best bet though is probably your local tackle shop.