Mosquitoe/general bug repellent

Hi guys,

I'm stocking up on bug repellent for the summer and just wondering if anyone has used the mosquito spiral candles(link below) and are they any good?

I try and avoid using the skin cream/spray stuff because it always makes me feel to oily.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15893027/lifesystems-mosquito-coils-15893027

6 hours ago, The_Viking_Angler said:

Hi guys,

I'm stocking up on bug repellent for the summer and just wondering if anyone has used the mosquito spiral candles(link below) and are they any good?

I try and avoid using the skin cream/spray stuff because it always makes me feel to oily.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15893027/lifesystems-mosquito-coils-15893027

I have used them in the past, you do have to make sure that they don't break. I had one break after it was lit, it fell off the coil and melted a hole in a bucket lid.

Mosquito repellants are personal, and mosquitoes in one place will respond differently to different supposed repellants.

Some people get on alright with Avon Skin so Soft, yet others don't. At Nazeing Skin so Soft was normally ok and kept me bug free, yet at Taverham Mills I had to use Deet based repellant. 

The higher Deet content the more repellant, yet the more of a headache it can produce. It will also break down plastics!

Lifesystems Expedition + is around 50% Deet, as is Jungle Formula.

The  repellant effect of 8 hours is ok in summer, but come autumn if I spray just before dark, I could end up being bitten before I wake up. I'm not normally too bad with insect bites, just a slight itch the day after, but I have had serious problems when I was bitten by something in long grass and ended up with blood poisoning that saw a hospital visit.

That would be my own fault for not spraying...

16 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I have used them in the past, you do have to make sure that they don't break. I had one break after it was lit, it fell off the coil and melted a hole in a bucket lid.

Mosquito repellants are personal, and mosquitoes in one place will respond differently to different supposed repellants.

Some people get on alright with Avon Skin so Soft, yet others don't. At Nazeing Skin so Soft was normally ok and kept me bug free, yet at Taverham Mills I had to use Deet based repellant. 

The higher Deet content the more repellant, yet the more of a headache it can produce. It will also break down plastics!

Lifesystems Expedition + is around 50% Deet, as is Jungle Formula.

The  repellant effect of 8 hours is ok in summer, but come autumn if I spray just before dark, I could end up being bitten before I wake up. I'm not normally too bad with insect bites, just a slight itch the day after, but I have had serious problems when I was bitten by something in long grass and ended up with blood poisoning that saw a hospital visit.

That would be my own fault for not spraying...

I didn't know Avon Skin so soft also worked as a bug repellent, i might give that ago so it might not make me feel too uncomfortable and oily.

I got bite by what i think must of been a horse fly last year, on my hand before setting up the swelling was something else, luckily she packs me loads of sprays and creams plus antihistamine pills, but if you want instant relief from a bad bite, take a bottle of corsodl mouthwash and soak a cloth and press on the bite area, works a treat. 

29 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

I got bite by what i think must of been a horse fly last year, on my hand before setting up the swelling was something else, luckily she packs me loads of sprays and creams plus antihistamine pills, but if you want instant relief from a bad bite, take a bottle of corsodl mouthwash and soak a cloth and press on the bite area, works a treat. 

Definitely going to remember that, i suffer quite bad with bites, never used to but recent years have seen me get quite a few bad ones which usually results in antibiotics.

38 minutes ago, yonny said:

It contains citronella 👍

Ah that makes sense   

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I was asked to give my findings on Avon skin So soft, have used it twice now and I don't think it works that well for me, which is a shame because its a nice product to use doesn't leave your skin oily and, smells nice and keeps your skin so soft 😍, but even with a mozzie mesh front on this time I've still been had quite a bit, I know it works well for some but unfortunately not for me, I think the next thing for me to try is the thermacell backpacker, I will keep try skin so soft as I still have 2.5 bottles but it may be time to call in the big guns as mozzies love my blood 🙄😭

It is the right version.

shame it doesn’t work for you but I would keep persevering with it 

I started using it again last week (For the first time in a couple of years) as I got bit on Sunday 6 times and swelled up like a ballon 

touch wood,

not been got since 

Edited by framey

1 hour ago, framey said:

It is the right version.

shame it doesn’t work for you but I would keep persevering with it 

I started using it again last week (For the first time in a couple of years) as I got bit on Sunday 6 times and swelled up like a ballon 

touch wood,

not been got since 

Maybe I need to apply more and earlier on, I think maybe I just need a thermacell backpacker I know the citronella candles seemed to help when I used them too, I used to leave one outside the bivvy seemed to work OK, 

Maybe am early. Defence would be better than last minute on the skin 

On 18/05/2020 at 10:48, The_Viking_Angler said:

I didn't know Avon Skin so soft also worked as a bug repellent, i might give that ago so it might not make me feel too uncomfortable and oily.

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I was pretty much coating myself and then rubbing it in but maybe I need to start marinating myself earlier on 😁

I used this Tuesday to Thursday while fishing, every 2 hrs a few squirts, not 1 bite for me 😁...always in my bag l.

Reviews on Skin So Soft as insect repellent have always been mixed, (like those for fabric softener sheets).  If you have faith in it maybe that helps.

https://www.consumerreports.org/insect-repellents/avon-skin-so-soft-review-bug-spray/

Borrowing a trick from natives on our northern First Nations reserves I've used 3 parts white vinegar mixed with 1 part lemon dish soap with pretty good results.  

54 minutes ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

Tried the Avon stuff on my first session down St Ives. Not particularly effective for me. Luckily I had also packed a bottle of Smidge-that sorted ‘em out👍

They are savage down there aren't they? Which lake did you fish? 

Reading tj the reviews and from what Highy said it seems 2 hours is tops before needing to reapply, I've been savaged though sitting here now with a strong desire to scratch my ankle aaaagh 

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

They are savage down there aren't they? Which lake did you fish? 

Reading tj the reviews and from what Highy said it seems 2 hours is tops before needing to reapply, I've been savaged though sitting here now with a strong desire to scratch my ankle aaaagh 

Was on the Lagoon. Some of those mozzies are on steroids🤣

30 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Nice, I wouldn't mind having a go on the lagoon one day it's a beautiful lake isn't it, 

I bought a mozzie front for there in the end, they were crucifying me, 😁

Certainly is a lovely water. Mick George’s ruins the view here and there but a small price to pay. Met a few of the regulars, all seem friendly too. Good vibe about the place👍

33 minutes ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

Certainly is a lovely water. Mick George’s ruins the view here and there but a small price to pay. Met a few of the regulars, all seem friendly too. Good vibe about the place👍

Did you see any mick George rats, they can be sizeable 😳

I always found most people friendly that I met there, St Ives is quite a nice old town too, I'm not that far away of you ever need a hand or anything 

24 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Did you see any mick George rats, they can be sizeable 😳

I always found most people friendly that I met there, St Ives is quite a nice old town too, I'm not that far away of you ever need a hand or anything 

Yeah, had a regular rat visitor in the Works swim😬. Cheers for the offer mate👍