Shock leaders

Guys last season I started fishing a bit further out around the 20 warp mark and started to get crack off when spodding out so was thinking of getting my self a shock leader but when I look online they just look like a strong braided leader and i alr Already have a 50lb braided leader so don't want to buy another if this will do it's the ridge monkey lead free one

8 hours ago, Lumeymorris said:

Guys last season I started fishing a bit further out around the 20 warp mark and started to get crack off when spodding out so was thinking of getting my self a shock leader but when I look online they just look like a strong braided leader and i alr Already have a 50lb braided leader so don't want to buy another if this will do it's the ridge monkey lead free one

I found spodding with braid absolutely horrible. 

If you hit the clip hard, because braid has no stretch you lose a spomb, even with a shockleader, or you break a line clip. (And I have). 

Braid can also be terrible for wind knots, and I also wore grooves in the tip and butt ring of the Spod rod I was using.

On my spod rod I had to go back to 15lb mono with an Amnesia or 40lb Greased Weasel Leader and a medium Spomb.

The distance I am spodding at is a lot more than 20 wraps (around 75metres), probably closer to 100 or more, and I no longer have problems with lost tackle

It could of been the braid I was using as I thought I was being cleaver and using some braid I brought a few years back of eBay and was only 25lb so prob was not up to the job and I did notice that I was only cracking off when I used the large spomb when I dropped down to the midi no problems casts better too! I was only going to add a shock leader due to losing three spods in the same swim three sessions in a row  but I have now changed to the ridge monkey spod marker braid but again is only 25lb so would I be better off adding a 50lb leader??

16 minutes ago, Lumeymorris said:

It could of been the braid I was using as I thought I was being cleaver and using some braid I brought a few years back of eBay and was only 25lb so prob was not up to the job and I did notice that I was only cracking off when I used the large spomb when I dropped down to the midi no problems casts better too! I was only going to add a shock leader due to losing three spods in the same swim three sessions in a row  but I have now changed to the ridge monkey spod marker braid but again is only 25lb so would I be better off adding a 50lb leader??

I cant answer that question ,as I would not use Braid that light for Spodding , as I like to use the large Spombs/Spods most of the time , and the do hold some weight , im guessing if you use small Spods/Spombs you should be ok .

I used to use 8lb nylon with a leader of 50lb years ago and ever had a problem as the leader takes the shock of the cast not the mainline 

With 25lb braid as there is no stretch in it I would add a leader minimum 40lb preferably 50lb as a spod could weigh somewhere between 5 or 7 oz. giving it the buggun will cause issues.

Make sure your cast is smooth and not snatchy 

Think they were by the spod end say like a rod length from the spod every one was different the only thing that I kept doing the same if anything was probably casting a bit to hard as it was during a cross wind so had to cast that bit harder and a large spomb. Pretty sure I didn't have any wind knots but to be honest I didn't check 

On 09/05/2020 at 15:38, Lumeymorris said:

Think they were by the spod end say like a rod length from the spod every one was different the only thing that I kept doing the same if anything was probably casting a bit to hard as it was during a cross wind so had to cast that bit harder and a large spomb. Pretty sure I didn't have any wind knots but to be honest I didn't check 

How long is your leader?

As above Fox do a tapered line 300m of 12lb -35lb cost around £10 

If using braid .... I wet the spool before giving it the big one ( if there’s a need for it ) by underhandedly it out then reel in with the tip under the water then again cast a bit further out and so on. I think the practice of just wetting the spool with your hand just gets a small amount of the braid wet.