D rig and trig hammers

framey

12 minutes ago, framey said:

Did anyone come to any preferred sizes of the d rigs on the ammers?

I found medium for 6, large for 4Ā 

Size 5 I think Was either šŸ˜

Only thing I find annoying about the d rig bits is the fact it's not easy to get a swivel or bait screw over the top, if you spot a large ring bait screw I would be interestedĀ 

Guest StinkyMink

I got some of those Trig Hammers (where the hell did that name come from) to look at and found them to be absolute medieval deep sea wreckingĀ hooks in size 6 - I sent them straight back

I can't believe you guys are talking about using size 4

Are there aĀ lotĀ of Marlin in your lake?

Ā 

Ā 

11 hours ago, StinkyMink said:

I got some of those Trig Hammers (where the hell did that name come from) to look at and found them to be absolute medieval deep sea wreckingĀ hooks in size 6 - I sent them straight back

I can't believe you guys are talking about using size 4

Are there aĀ lotĀ of Marlin in your lake?

Ā 

Ā 

I love em, sharp and great hook holds too, got full confidence in them now,Ā 

Guest StinkyMink
Just now, elmoputney said:

I love em, sharp and great hook holds too, got full confidence in them now,Ā 

Great stuff. Each to their own. I do like the fine(ish) wire on them. I'm into fine wire size 6 widegape types myself as I use soft braids

Now poses the question, I want to use a smaller non trig Hammer hook for my pva wafter set up, will a curve type be the oneĀ 

Part of me thinks keep it simple as these rigs won't be in the water long and also need to be cost effective (bank tackle curves??? Sharpened, )Ā 

Knotless knot withĀ  silicone and a tungsten kickerĀ 

Or curve with a d rig kicker with micro swivelĀ 

Both seem to work OK I think in my recent tests but I think the d rig will be slightly harder for the carp to eject?Ā 

Anyone else have any thoughts on this set up?Ā 

9 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

pva wafter set up

As in solid bags Elmo?

I think in solid bagsĀ simpler is better, particularly with bottom baits/wafters. I'd avoid tungsten andĀ swivels (when mr carp sucks upĀ that feed you want as little weight in the hookbait/rig as possible). Have you considered the KD? A curve is perfect for that.

2 minutes ago, yonny said:

As in solid bags Elmo?

I think in solid bagsĀ simpler is better, particularly with bottom baits/wafters. I'd avoid tungsten andĀ swivels (when mr carp sucks upĀ that feed you want as little weight in the hookbait/rig as possible). Have you considered the KD? A curve is perfect for that.

Yep for Solid bags, I haven't really looked at the KD rig will have a play and see what comes outĀ 

CheersĀ 

Guest StinkyMink
2 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

It makes a well presented pop up rig thoughĀ 

I don't agree mate

The gape is far too closed up and you will drop a lot of fish with that rig

Curve shanks do not need additions. Especially the size 4 shark fishing ones you are talking about. They turn naturally..

They are not my cup of tea but I recognise how deadly they are tied KD style like Yonny said.

That rig you pictured is just a ''fashion rig'' made popular by marketing in order to sell you unnecessary overpriced gizmos

1 minute ago, StinkyMink said:

I don't agree mate

Curve shanks do not need additions. Especially the size 4 shark fishing ones you are talking about. They turn naturally..

They are not my cup of tea but I recognise how deadly they are tied KD style like Yonny said.

That rig you pictured is just a ''fashion rig'' made popular by marketing in order to sell you unnecessary overpriced gizmos

Maybe you could show him what rig he should use instead of berating him.Ā 

You've been fishing for 20yrs plus you say , so you should have plenty to bring to the table. Like I said in another thread, maybe you can educate us and not just say this is wrong or that is wrong.Ā 

Guest StinkyMink
4 hours ago, emmcee said:

Maybe you could show him what rig he should use instead of berating him.Ā 

You've been fishing for 20yrs plus you say , so you should have plenty to bring to the table. Like I said in another thread, maybe you can educate us and not just say this is wrong or that is wrong.Ā 

I did, within the post

I said simple KD rig as Yonny described

Ā 

My reccomendation is this mate

If you like curve shanks, stick with them

Take a medium size 6 or 7 (they tend to be big, and in my opinion typical size 4 curves are far too big and clumsy, like shark hooks)

The trouble with big hooks is that they are obvious, and the carp will feel the edge of it (or see it easily) and avoid it

Anyway take your size 6 curve shank and tie it up with a slightly semi stiff, strong braid (Dark Matter 20lb - perfect)

Tie it about 5 turns down, and 3 turns under the hair (I don't like super agressive KD) - that will be more than aggressive enough, I used to use this rig a lot) - it is best fished long, as in rig length and also long hair

Ā 

Ā 

1 minute ago, StinkyMink said:

The trouble with big hooks is that they are obvious, and the carp will feel the edge of it (or see it easily) and avoid it

You keep forgetting your "imo" mate.

With all due respect, the statement above is imo completely inaccurate. i have caught countless carp on size 4 hooks (and size 2 for that matter). They just need to be used on the right rig for the right angling situation.

5 minutes ago, StinkyMink said:

My reccomendation is this mate

If you like curve shanks, stick with them

Take a medium size 6 or 7 (they tend to be big, and in my opinion typical size 4 curves are far too big and clumsy, like shark hooks)

Anyway take your size 6 curve shank and tie it up with a slightly semi stiff, strong braid (Dark Matter 20lb - perfect)

Tie it about 5 turns down, and 3 turns under the hair (I don't like super agressive KD) - that will be more than aggressive enough, I used to use this rig a lot) - it is best fished long, as in rig length and also long hair

Ā 

Ā 

This is allĀ opinion thoughĀ 

48 minutes ago, StinkyMink said:

I don't agree mate

Tbh I meant the d rig kicker with a trig Hammer makes a good pop up rig, naturally I haven't tried that one with a curve shank Paul as I havent got any curve shanks in stockĀ 

1 hour ago, StinkyMink said:

Why would you want to use something like that mate?

To me that is horrible

Just ordered some medium sized ones off the bay of e, I ordered em as I have arthritic fingers and failing eyesight and find it difficult to tie fancy rigs, so I'll look at anything which helps me create a rig that is acceptable to my eyes and a fish... I also wanted to try some of the extendedĀ  kickers from Gardner to make some slip D rigs... give em a go..... (probably end up freelining prawns againšŸ˜›šŸ˜Ž)Ā Ā 

Guest StinkyMink
1 hour ago, yonny said:

You keep forgetting your "imo" mate.

With all due respect, the statement above is imo completely inaccurate. i have caught countless carp on size 4 hooks (and size 2 for that matter). They just need to be used on the right rig for the right angling situation.

Everything should be taken as ''read'' mate. I don't like big hooks and explained why I think that

I don't feel any need to write IMO after every sentence and don't see why I should

PS Size 2 are banned on a lot of venues for a good reason