Bitech viper

1 hour ago, Lurch 1953 said:

Can someone tell me how to change a battery in this classic alarm please.Inherited and would like to compare with my delkims and fox microns.

Welcome to Carp.com.

Bitech Viper, that brings back memories!

A very sensitive alarm, and if I remember correctly you increased or decreased sensitivity by the angle the rod went through the slot. Can't remember which way round it was, but I think Have the rod tip low and it was super sensitive, have the tips up decreased it.

We used to fish the railway bank at Barham A pit, those with Bitech Vipers would get loads of false bleeps from trains going past around 10metres away.

16 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Welcome to Carp.com.

Bitech Viper, that brings back memories!

A very sensitive alarm, and if I remember correctly you increased or decreased sensitivity by the angle the rod went through the slot. Can't remember which way round it was, but I think Have the rod tip low and it was super sensitive, have the tips up decreased it.

We used to fish the railway bank at Barham A pit, those with Bitech Vipers would get loads of false bleeps from trains going past around 10metres away.

LOL my first alarm, from way back when I was float fishing but had a ledger rod out for carp with a a trusty Bitech Viper giving me constant false bleeps, if you had light enough bobbins/monkey climber it became quite musical and played tunes ALL DAY!  It's safe to say I had no concept of adjusting the sensitivity - thank god Fox came out with the Micron 👍

• 2 years later...

Bitech viper was my dads company so I know it more than most.

My dad developed the bite alarm due to delkim had the entire monopoly on bite alarms due to the way the patent was written which meant delkim made no real effects to improve the product even though your rod would fall off the thing.

my dad found a way around the patent to give people more of a choice and try to improve the product.

Due to this all happening Delkim started to make changes to try and stop there sales dropping.

eventually the patents ran out and enabled all the other companies to produce bite alarms.

My dad then went onto make good fishing alarms.

I remember this well mainly because of the threats he received from one very big fishing company which are still trading today and a name every fisherman knows and I still won’t buy anything with there name on even now.

Sorry about all the false alarms lol but really proud of what my dad achieved and going out of his way to try to make improvements and not letting the big boys bully him out off it.

14 hours ago, Dean Peck said:

My dad developed the bite alarm due to delkim had the entire monopoly on bite alarms due to the way the patent was written which meant delkim made no real effects to improve the product even though your rod would fall off the thing.

my dad found a way around the patent to give people more of a choice and try to improve the product.

Due to this all happening Delkim started to make changes to try and stop there sales dropping.

eventually the patents ran out and enabled all the other companies to produce bite alarms.

I remember this well mainly because of the threats he received from one very big fishing company which are still trading today and a name every fisherman knows and I still won’t buy anything with there name on even now.

Sorry about all the false alarms lol but really proud of what my dad achieved and going out of his way to try to make improvements and not letting the big boys bully him out off it.

Fair play to your pops, bite alarms are beyond silly on most lakes during the day they have become a must have alongside bait.

Never liked delks due to the boxy shape.

On 11/01/2023 at 18:18, Dean Peck said:

Sundridge, Dellareed Optonics. Del Romang and Les Bamford did original conversions, and originally Dellareed were OK with it, but then decided to take it to court as an infringement of copyright. Think it was because they were using Dellareed casings more than the actual changes.

Then Delkim bought out their ST Reed switch vibration rather than the roller wheel, must be early 1990's. 

Basic Optonics were a pain in the butt, too quiet, you couldn't hear them. I can't remember when the volume control was added, but you could fit a sounder box on the originals, an 8pin audio plug if I remember correctly.

The changing of the roller wheel could be fun as well, it was a 2 or 4 vane, but I always wanted more sensitivity for pike so made 12's out of a foil milk bottle top.