Line , Dia and breaking strength

• 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, dalej2014 said:

Just asked for any opinions and reviews in the tackle section of this forum. If it's good as they claim it may be time for a respool!?

100% sonik man myself, respooled mine other day with DPF 15lb...spare spools will have subsonik on, which I don't know yet. 

1 hour ago, dalej2014 said:

Good shout. The "bible" of fishing lines. They update this quite regularly too. Latest issue - http://www.tacklebox.co.uk/pdfs/line_tests_issue12f.pdf  :)

Alas, no test of the new SubSonik line yet...

2 minutes ago, Highy said:

100% sonik man myself, respooled mine other day with DPF 15lb...spare spools will have subsonik on, which I don't know yet. 

From Sonik... 

Screenshot_20210716_152627.thumb.jpg.8e14f07b2126afafca0ecd9b6d0bfb00.jpg

Brown, Green, Caom in 15lb to 22lb

Screenshot_20210716_152647.thumb.jpg.545047a12c3c82600a29e60df4d63b15.jpg

Clear and Red from 15lb to 33lb

• 4 weeks later...

I found the Gardner Pro line in 12lb its really strong and round, good quality, cheap. Its ok buying a cheap in, but most don't spool all that well, and come off in coils despite how hard you try. I found this even good for my floater fishing, its seems the carp find the green colour hard to detect? Its worth also running a decent amount of line off in the park, and winding it back on through your finger and thumb. Long grass is perfect as it works out all the coils. 😇 

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

New reels, Calls for New Line (or is it just me)....

Daiwa Sensor in Clear 15lb is looking like it.....Tackle Box line Test to shows it standing above the rest, also used it a few years ago.

But I've been doing a bit of reading and looking at the Sonik Ultrasonik in Clear & Red.....15lb

Red is the 1st colour to disappear under water (so it says)....

It’s the law to have new line on new reels 😉🤣🤣

Sensor Brown for me tbh.

And I’ll be honest I use to believe that red is the 1st colour to go underwater but since I’ve caught millions of silvers on single/double red maggot and dead reds I don't take much notice of that nowadays 

3 hours ago, Highy said:

New reels, Calls for New Line (or is it just me)....

Daiwa Sensor in Clear 15lb is looking like it.....Tackle Box line Test to shows it standing above the rest, also used it a few years ago.

But I've been doing a bit of reading and looking at the Sonik Ultrasonik in Clear & Red.....15lb

Red is the 1st colour to disappear under water (so it says)....

I didn't like clear sensor, 

Stick to Gardner lines they just do what they are meant to 

17 minutes ago, Highy said:

Going off previous use, and the Tackle Box line tests.....

681534335_Screenshot_20220610-184401_SamsungNotes.thumb.jpg.6e339d3c3d473b0c1dc73a2a31268714.jpg

I seem to recall it was very visible in the water, and I didn't really like it, depends what you want from a line really, if you want abrasion resistance and good sinking line hydrotuff, I haven't respooled yet but have got a spool of gt80+ to try as apparently it's better than hydrotuff 😬 

I wouldn't use anything other than Gardner now as it just never let's me down, reliable and strong and it lasts pretty well too 

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

I seem to recall it was very visible in the water, and I didn't really like it, depends what you want from a line really, if you want abrasion resistance and good sinking line hydrotuff, I haven't respooled yet but have got a spool of gt80+ to try as apparently it's better than hydrotuff 😬 

I wouldn't use anything other than Gardner now as it just never let's me down, reliable and strong and it lasts pretty well too 

Same with me and sensor for the last 10+ years ……… line is like a which boilie is best thread…… always going to be different opinions but if a line works for you as said stick with it. 😬

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

For all occasions really...

17 minutes ago, snowmanstevo said:

Same with me and sensor for the last 10+ years ……… line is like a which boilie is best thread…… always going to be different opinions but if a line works for you as said stick with it. 😬

I've used em all....

Korda Carpline, Korda Contour, Gardner GTHD, Wychwood DPF, Dawai Sensor Clear, ESP Synchro, Fox Soft Steel, Sonik Subsonik.

All performed well,...Korda Carpline is to me an all-rounder, Contour sank like a brick but was too thick, GTHD was 1 of the better ones, DPF was a bit wirey, Sensor was joint with GTHD, Synchro was wirey, Fox Steel 2nd, Sonik the diameter was too thin so need to up the break strain....

Daiwa Sensor Clear 15lb or Sonik Subsonik Clear 18lb

3 hours ago, snowmanstevo said:

Totally agree, Brown sensor is OK I've used that before it was just the clear one I didn't like 

3 hours ago, Highy said:

For all occasions really...

I've used em all....

Korda Carpline, Korda Contour, Gardner GTHD, Wychwood DPF, Dawai Sensor Clear, ESP Synchro, Fox Soft Steel, Sonik Subsonik.

All performed well,...Korda Carpline is to me an all-rounder, Contour sank like a brick but was too thick, GTHD was 1 of the better ones, DPF was a bit wirey, Sensor was joint with GTHD, Synchro was wirey, Fox Steel 2nd, Sonik the diameter was too thin so need to up the break strain....

Daiwa Sensor Clear 15lb or Sonik Subsonik Clear 18lb

I did like korda carp line for the brief time I used it, but needed to change it for hydrotuff 

Gardner is best though 😏

On 10/06/2022 at 16:05, snowmanstevo said:

It’s the law to have new line on new reels 😉🤣🤣

Sensor Brown for me tbh.

And I’ll be honest I use to believe that red is the 1st colour to go underwater but since I’ve caught millions of silvers on single/double red maggot and dead reds I don't take much notice of that nowadays 

Sensor in brown for me as well, been using it for over 15 years now, can't fault it so haven't found the need to use something different lol 

On 11/06/2022 at 00:09, elmoputney said:

Totally agree, Brown sensor is OK I've used that before it was just the clear one I didn't like 

I did like korda carp line for the brief time I used it, but needed to change it for hydrotuff 

Gardner is best though 😏

Agree . If you’re going down the non-fluorocarbon route then Gardner Pro or Daiwa Brown are the go to for me .

Too many good reviews to look elsewhere, nearly everything has a dodgy review if you look hard enough for it but those 2 not so much.

Just been to local Go Outdoors / Fishing Republic....

No Daiwa Sensor in Clear....

Had Daiwa Sensor Brown in 8,12,15.

Daiwa Hyper Sensor in 5,6,8,12,15.

Daiwa Hyper Sensor Gun Metal in 5,6,8,12,15

It was a weird 1 as the 2 hyper Sensor in 15lb was 0.31mm but brown 15lb was 0.37mm....