I can't believe that any significant weight would be saved but I'm liking the notion of a much firmer bedchair.

I feel a few experiments coming on. First will be to insert several cable ties in amongst the existing elastic.

Ian.

On 16 April 2020 at 21:51, Pete Springate's Guns said:

Just read a Carpfeed article recommending the replacement of bedchair elastics with cable ties. This apparently results in a firmer bed (which makes sense) but also a significant weight saving?! Anyone done this? Can’t imagine that the elastic weighs so much, surely?

Easier to replace a broken cable tie than have to do a whole elastic!

My thoughts are that you have to use a decent size or thickness of cable tie, but if you have a decent tie, the strength is pretty high.

Does anyone remember the Lafuma type chairs I think it was, with the springs attaching mattress to the frame? 

The springs would stretch and pop out so you had a bedchair or sunlounger frame that had springs missing.

I replaced the springs with large split rings which worked well.

3 hours ago, Big Bass said:

I check on my elastic now and then chairs and bed if it’s saggy cut the knot pull it tight then tie the knot....I had to replace all of the elastic once (the mice took a fancy to it)  B&Q used to sell it by the meter could still do. 

8mm parachord is the stuff if you ever want to replace the whole stuff. 

Twice the frame length and width plus about a metre and a half is about right if you want it well tensioned.

Well the old Jrc has been modded, currently laying on it and not one cable tie has broken so far, it was old and saggy now its, tight and limber again, couple of things I discovered it does seem to leave loads of sharp bits once you trim them, and also it's worth fitting them all loose to start with then tightening them down all at once, good job well done I now have a quick, light overnight chair again