Hook length material colour

Its-grim-up-north

Hi guys, how important do you think the  colour of your braid is? I’ve got a good deal (£5.00) for some Nash skin link but it’s in gravel brown. I do a lot of fishing in silt and low lying weed. Do you lads think it would make much difference using a gravel brown coloured braid on these bottoms?

Edited by Its-grim-up-north

I played around with different coloured tubing and hook lengths over silt a few years and found lighter colours slightly caught more.

Only did it over a few sessions on a runs water so might have a different outcome on harder waters were fish haven't got as much competition 

1 hour ago, Its-grim-up-north said:

Hi guys, how important do you think the  colour of your braid is? I’ve got a good deal (£5.00) for some Nash skin link but it’s in gravel brown. I do a lot of fishing in silt and low lying weed. Do you lads think it would make much difference using a gravel brown coloured braid on these bottoms?

I have never 'worried' about hooklink colour. I put worried in inverted commas as although I often do use green or camouflaged hooklinks, it is  down to my preference for the old Kryston hooklink materials which just happened to be available in those colours.

Merlin is a black, white and green mixed colour braid, I use it straight or as part of a combi-link over weed, gravel or silt bottom.

My coated braid is Mantis in dark grey or Snakebite in green. Again I use them over all bottoms.

If camouflage gives you confidence, then go with it, a confident angler catches more than someone who does not believe in what they are doing.

Going back to your hooklink braids, weed stems can be green or brown, even red tints on some. Gravel is never just brown, it can be yellow, grey, or brown. Even softer lakebeds like clay have different colours from lake to lake, area to area, county to county. Some are a blue grey, yellow brown, red, or red brown. 

About the only consistent is silt, it tends to be black, or dark brown. 

27 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I have never 'worried' about hooklink colour. I put worried in inverted commas as although I often do use green or camouflaged hooklinks, it is  down to my preference for the old Kryston hooklink materials which just happened to be available in those colours.

Merlin is a black, white and green mixed colour braid, I use it straight or as part of a combi-link over weed, gravel or silt bottom.

My coated braid is Mantis in dark grey or Snakebite in green. Again I use them over all bottoms.

If camouflage gives you confidence, then go with it, a confident angler catches more than someone who does not believe in what they are doing.

Going back to your hooklink braids, weed stems can be green or brown, even red tints on some. Gravel is never just brown, it can be yellow, grey, or brown. Even softer lakebeds like clay have different colours from lake to lake, area to area, county to county. Some are a blue grey, yellow brown, red, or red brown. 

About the only consistent is silt, it tends to be black, or dark brown. 

Your thoughts are similar to mine, I think all this spare times making me overthink things and I’m giving the carp to much credit..

4 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I think the main thing I like is for braid not to be a solid colour that way it should blend in better, unless it looks blatent in the margins I wouldn't worry 

I tested the esp camo sink link in the margins the other day dissapeared completely,  

I am colour blind though 😁😁😁

The only thing that made me a bit paranoid about the Nash stuff is because it’s so light compared to the brown of other hooklinks I’ve used

14 hours ago, Its-grim-up-north said:

how important do you think the  colour of your braid is?

I don't think it's half as important as the colour of your leader/tubing etc. A short length of braid will be next to undetectable by man or beast imo, particularly in silt/weed.

12 hours ago, crusian said:

I remember Yonny saying he just has everything in Brown .

Indeed. it blends into everything. 

12 hours ago, Its-grim-up-north said:

The only thing that made me a bit paranoid about the Nash stuff is because it’s so light compared to the brown of other hooklinks I’ve used

I have some gravel pb jelly wire and I also think it's a bit light coloured but would probably still use it 

Didnt Rob Hughes do an underwater video about the colour of the bottom? I seem to remember watching something 

21 minutes ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

I prefer brown too for tubing or leadcore. Often, I’ll fleck it with a permanent marker to break up the outline. Does it make a difference? I don’t honestly know but it comes back to confidence and of course it looks carpy😉😎

The only thing that puts me off using a permanent marker is that I wonder if they can sense the smell of them? 

I don't know that it would matter but it's just something I've thought about 🤔

23 hours ago, Its-grim-up-north said:

Do you remember Kryston Supersilk?

Until I got worried about its diameter and possibility of cutting fishes lips and stopped using it, I used to stain my Supersilk hooklinks in tea or coffee, although it does take on the colour of the silt on the lakebed.

I only worry if the lake is gin clear and I think the hooklink stands out on the bottom, I have a few sharpie marker pens in my box just in case, black, brown and green, you can pick them up cheap on ebay, golfers use them for marking their golf balls ;)

most of the time I only use them in winter when the colour has dropped out of the water on most lakes ;)