Hi, hopefully everyone is safe during this crazy time. I carp fished years ago but looking to get back into it, joining a Club that has about 6 or 7 waters. What would you're go to boilles/pop ups be for a beginner, what do you find the most consistent? I'll be fishing with mainly pva with pellet mixes. 

Thanks 

Darryl 

It’s a very subjective thing bait 

some waters respond to different types of bait.

if you can find out from others in the club what they are using you can use that as a starting point or you can go the complete opposite route lol

listen to what others say but don’t believe everything they say as they may try to throw you of the scent.

if there is no small nuisance fish present stick a pellet on the hook as well

Edited by framey

Hello Darryl

On my lake a White Pop Up is successful for me , but on other waters it's Pink or Yellow , or you could try to be different and try Orange ; perhaps go for 10 / 12mm Pop Ups and mix the colours on the same rig - use 2 rods and you are using 4 colours at the same time .

😃

2 hours ago, Darryl16) said:

Hi, hopefully everyone is safe during this crazy time. I carp fished years ago but looking to get back into it, joining a Club that has about 6 or 7 waters. What would you're go to boilles/pop ups be for a beginner, what do you find the most consistent? I'll be fishing with mainly pva with pellet mixes. 

Thanks 

Darryl 

Whereabouts are these waters fella?  What kind of stock do these waters have? 

If you went into a tackle shop and asked for boilies for beginners, I bet you'd get an odd look! The simple answer is that most boilies these days are 'good', any company selling rubbish wouldn't last very long. Shelf life boilies have come on a long way and can be kept for long periods of time without going off and are a good bet. It's a very subjective topic but the best advice I can give is to choose one and after buying the matching wafter and pop up version and flavouring liquid, stick with it if possible. Most of us with have tackle sheds with different variations of bait that we bought that we can't chuck out, just in case!

Bait isn't the be all of carp fishing, location, application of bait, the right rig for the situation and timing are far more important things to get right.

14 hours ago, Darryl16) said:

Thanks 

Darryl 

Welcome to Carp.com.

Boilies are boilies. There is no boilie for beginners, however more anglers could do with learning about boilies, and the waters they fish.

Your club, what type of waters are they?  Are they big carp waters? Or waters with plenty of carp, but nothing bigger than say 15lb?

Don't limit your options, fishing just pva bags or mesh with pellets! That sounds like cast out forget about it and hope. You might need to attract the fish with more bait than just a single pva bag. 

One water I fish, every 2 or 3 minutes you need to catapult a handful of pellets over where you cast your pva bag if you fish as you suggest.

I can give you loads of boilies that will work, every single boilie in the shop, but YOU need to know how to make that work.

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Don't limit your options, fishing just pva bags or mesh with pellets! That sounds like cast out forget about it and hope. You might need to attract the fish with more bait than just a single pva bag. 

I am limiting my options to pva bag fishing this year 😁

I decided a little while ago I don't want to cast a rod out without one on, all year, I will still loose feed around it but that is my approach and I'm happy with it so far, 

There are loads of baits and hookbaits out there tbh if you want to fish with bags look at smaller hookbaits 12mm pop ups or wafters or even plastic baits,  if you want to loose feed boilies too might be best to use a wafter or pop up that matches the loose feed, lf you are fishing more than 1 rod use different hookbaits on each rod til you work out which ones work best on that water, if you want to fish with pellets in bags just make your pellet mix really attractive and the most attractive thing in your swim, add some pva friendly  liquids etc to it, 

As for brands of bait most will work but I went through quite a few last year as most will know, all I now know from it, is that bait is very personal and only you can decide which one you feel confident using 👍

Good luck 

I think when all this washes over, I think we should appreciate every moment we can on the water... too much gets taken for granted whilst anglers fish... no appreciation of our surroundings,  no delight in small things, like a kingfisher darting across a water, dragonflies... the chittering of mice and shrews in the undergrowth, flowers, trees... the countryside is beautiful and my absence from it makes its beauty keenly missed... try and enjoy what is around you rather than just focussing on the fishing... sorry for rambling on, but I love the outdoors and this enforced incarceration is hard to take for me

6 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

I think when all this washes over, I think we should appreciate every moment we can on the water... too much gets taken for granted whilst anglers fish... no appreciation of our surroundings,  no delight in small things, like a kingfisher darting across a water, dragonflies... the chittering of mice and shrews in the undergrowth, flowers, trees... the countryside is beautiful and my absence from it makes its beauty keenly missed... try and enjoy what is around you rather than just focussing on the fishing... sorry for rambling on, but I love the outdoors and this enforced incarceration is hard to take for me

Totally agree, 

I remembered one of the reasons I loved the new/old lake when I went back the other week, the constant banging of the woodpecker in the trees, one of my missions this year is to get a nice pic of it 

It's still OK to dislike rats and mosquitos though isn't it? 

13 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

I always take in the surroundings, the wildlife,  the fishing is a bonus for me. And this isn't because I'm older, my family are all nature lovers though none of them fish apart from me. 

My daily walks with the dog has seen me noticing how the birds/wildlife are out a LOT more around our estate due to less traffic/people......... it’s the only positive from this horrendous situation and I hope everyone has now realised the magnitude of covid 19. 🤔😕

Im like you,emmcee a big part of my angling is about being outdoors with nature. 😬😎

if it was me in your position id ask the bailiff or local  tackle shops rather than anglers on the bank as most of them will lie.

reminds me of a syndicate I fish years ago and my first walk round I spoke to about 10 anglers and every one of them claimed to be new on the water and were very reluctant to even talk to me until I was the only personto catch over next 24 hours and all of a sudden everyones extremely friendly and wanting to know what bait I was using, don't think ive ever told so many people to f off in 1 day in my life :)

but when I start on a new water I stick to what worked on previous waters and would only change it that wasn't working.

im kind of lucky as in I wasn't going to do much carping this year and focus on barbel fishing so hopefully itll be winding down come mid june 🤞

2 hours ago, harpz_31 said:

if it was me in your position id ask the bailiff or local  tackle shops rather than anglers on the bank as most of them will lie.

reminds me of a syndicate I fish years ago and my first walk round I spoke to about 10 anglers and every one of them claimed to be new on the water and were very reluctant to even talk to me until I was the only personto catch over next 24 hours and all of a sudden everyones extremely friendly and wanting to know what bait I was using, don't think ive ever told so many people to f off in 1 day in my life :)

but when I start on a new water I stick to what worked on previous waters and would only change it that wasn't working.

im kind of lucky as in I wasn't going to do much carping this year and focus on barbel fishing so hopefully itll be winding down come mid june 🤞

Yeah this place is pretty similar from what I can remember very clicky bunch of anglers, but with it being next to where I work and other commitments it will probably be where I'll be doing most of my carping. 

Thanks everyone for the input, and stay safe 👍

On 28/03/2020 at 07:55, salokcinnodrog said:

Welcome to Carp.com.

Boilies are boilies. There is no boilie for beginners, however more anglers could do with learning about boilies, and the waters they fish.

Your club, what type of waters are they?  Are they big carp waters? Or waters with plenty of carp, but nothing bigger than say 15lb?

One water I fish, every 2 or 3 minutes you need to catapult a handful of pellets over where you cast your pva bag if you fish as you suggest.

I can give you loads of boilies that will work, every single boilie in the shop, but YOU need to know how to make that work.

Yes mate pretty sure there's the odd Big fish in there but mainly the average is 6 to 12lb. Quite a pressured water from what I've heard. 

I haven’t fish the Glamorgan’s waters apart from the Taff river was going to join them but never got around to it. I did fish Barry ponds before they got them. A mate used to fish there waters and swore by feeding halibut pellets with the catty little and often and a 14 mill on the hook in the warmer months. Looks like it be a while before we get to fish. 🙄