Back to pastures old

elmoputney

Still feel like a *** in a trance today, been shopping sweet and sour chicken for tea, biscuits and gammon for breakfast, and some beans with piddly sausages in for nostalgia, misses is out boot camping then I should be free to go, weather looks nice for it though just wish my brain was in gear 😁 

34 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Still feel like a *** in a trance today, been shopping sweet and sour chicken for tea, biscuits and gammon for breakfast, and some beans with piddly sausages in for nostalgia, misses is out boot camping then I should be free to go, weather looks nice for it though just wish my brain was in gear 😁 

As long as you have the essentials elmo, just focus on enjoying yourself mate. If you forget something then you can get over it somehow. 

Being on the bank is quality time. I wish I could have more time there, but work and family take priority at the moment SO, QT shoutld be cherished, you deserve it buddy! 

Tight lines 

38 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Know how you feel. I was going to hit the beach but the wind is putting a stop to that. One of my lakes all the weed has died off and there are massive weed beds wiping everyone out and my other lake the fish are spawning. Something is telling me not to go 🤣

Set up in one swim, can't seem to find any clear spots, or getting any good drops, I think it's going to have to be chuck it and chance, wind is hacking into this corner though feels OK, and all I can find is chunks of Canadian 

Do I A move? Back to more familier pastures 

Or B keep trying and make my own spot with a load of bait and fish anywhere rigs? 

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

Or B keep trying and make my own spot with a load of bait and fish anywhere rigs? 

Whatever feels right for you mate! 

Personally I'd only fish a chod/zig in weed, drop off lead of course.

If you're staying put keep on trying to find a spot or locate where the fish are, if possible. Then you'd know whether or not to move. 

I'm envious mate, enjoy the challenge! 

3 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Set up in one swim, can't seem to find any clear spots, or getting any good drops, I think it's going to have to be chuck it and chance, wind is hacking into this corner though feels OK, and all I can find is chunks of Canadian 

If the fish are there then stay put, if not I'd up sticks, find them and move onto them. 

3 hours ago, commonly said:

Whatever feels right for you mate! 

Personally I'd only fish a chod/zig in weed, drop off lead of course.

If you're staying put keep on trying to find a spot or locate where the fish are, if possible. Then you'd know whether or not to move. 

I'm envious mate, enjoy the challenge! 

I moved I hadn't seen a lot, I did spot a couple hiding in the back bay earlier so I've moved into a nearby potential ambush spot, and I've actually managed to get a drop quite happy now, IMG_20200627_210908.thumb.jpg.51f93ce881028c192a4b1daa7d319cb2.jpg

Time to get sorted have dinner and a flipping beer 🍻😁

IMG_20200628_080216.thumb.jpg.f24062735d87f53f3ad205432b44f224.jpgthis is the sound of silence, it only takes one bite etc but not promising at the moment, had some pretty savage liners all through the night but nothing else, I think i am fishing the swim pretty well, but I only saw one show in the area last night, not seen oet this morning, the back bay is pretty much unfishable full of weed, pads and reeds and is a sun trap so I would be surprised if nothing is passing through, just wish they would stop at elmos diner en route 😂

Well nothing for me, not surprised really, unfortunately I seemed to make a hash of it this weekend, I nearly decided to go into one of the three popular swims as it was free when I arrived, however I carried on walking round by the time I got back there was a bivvy in it lol, it was then I decided to try the far corner of the big part of the lake, I think this is where it started to go wrong, I must've done about 100 casts, I started with Bare lead then went onto a gripper as I wasn't finding much, the gripper was just getting locked up in Canadian pretty much everytime, and I wasn't getting a nice drop, I guess conditions didn't help it was howling into that corner,which made it tougher as my braid was getting blown sideways but I persevered, I would've stayed if I had found something that even resembled a spot, but that would've been pub chucking at its finest and I just didn't fancy it without some prior prep work or something to target, if I can find/make a clear spot then it could have potential as the wind was hacking in there and they would surely follow it sometimes, 

I did move to another swim I've not fished before though so I have pretty much fished all the snaggy half of the lake now other than the swim I couldn't get in yesterday, so it wasn't a complete waste of time more knowledge gained, 

Need to upgrade my spot finding ability now I think, will have a think about that this week or maybe invest in a weedrake again so I am better equipped 🤔

Cheers all its been emotionless this time 😁

3 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Well nothing for me, not surprised really, unfortunately I seemed to make a hash of it this weekend, I nearly decided to go into one of the three popular swims as it was free when I arrived, however I carried on walking round by the time I got back there was a bivvy in it lol, it was then I decided to try the far corner of the big part of the lake, I think this is where it started to go wrong, I must've done about 100 casts, I started with Bare lead then went onto a gripper as I wasn't finding much, the gripper was just getting locked up in Canadian pretty much everytime, and I wasn't getting a nice drop, I guess conditions didn't help it was howling into that corner,which made it tougher as my braid was getting blown sideways but I persevered, I would've stayed if I had found something that even resembled a spot, but that would've been pub chucking at its finest and I just didn't fancy it without some prior prep work or something to target, if I can find/make a clear spot then it could have potential as the wind was hacking in there and they would surely follow it sometimes, 

I did move to another swim I've not fished before though so I have pretty much fished all the snaggy half of the lake now other than the swim I couldn't get in yesterday, so it wasn't a complete waste of time more knowledge gained, 

Need to upgrade my spot finding ability now I think, will have a think about that this week or maybe invest in a weedrake again so I am better equipped 🤔

Cheers all its been emotionless this time 😁

In my opinion there is absolutely nothing wrong in casting 100 plus times to find/ get on a spot. I'd rather do that than think "that will do" when it won't do.

As for casting in a  cross wind I would rather set up facing the wind if possible, you get a much better feel of the lead down. And when you say bare lead was you feeling for a drop or seeing if you could slide the lead once it was on the bottom?

40 minutes ago, emmcee said:

In my opinion there is absolutely nothing wrong in casting 100 plus times to find/ get on a spot. I'd rather do that than think "that will do" when it won't do.

As for casting in a  cross wind I would rather set up facing the wind if possible, you get a much better feel of the lead down. And when you say bare lead was you feeling for a drop or seeing if you could slide the lead once it was on the bottom?

Nothing wrong with casting that many times would've been nice to have found something though 😂

I tend to start with the bare lead as I know it will be weedy, I would try and feel for a drop but like you say was tough in the cross wind as all the extra slack line was making it tough but then I would slide it back a bit to try and find something, then repeat and repeat,  it I wasn't getting anywhere with that so I thought i would try the gripper, maybe 100 casts on a spot with that may have cleared it enough but I just gave it up as a bad job, I will be back on it though, I'm not a quitter 😁

I'm venturing back to pastures old tomorrow for a fleeting overnighter after work, I'm hoping it is going to be less busy due to the abhorrent weather we are having,I dream of setting up in one of the plum swims this weekend but we shall see, might just have to settle for what I can, keeping it simple though, and hopefully will be singing in the rain this time tomorrow 🎶😂

Nothing doing this time , back home now, tail between my legs, I got a plum swim but I think I was too focused on that this time, its another swim ticked off the list and learnt a bit about,I also got to fish at 20+ wraps so that was new, the air bomb didn't like it much though or I couldn't quite get the distance maybe a midi would be better 😞, the throwing stick just about made it though but my arm is hurting today, I forgot my spomb I think that would have got the distance, lessons learnt,

I also think I need to go back to using bags lol, ever since I've stopped, I've certainly been catching nothing , that spot would've been good for bags as it was quite clear, might be a struggle to get them the distance though, but practice makes perfect, it would be doable I think, 🤔

Next time I need to suss out part of the big bit of the lake, I am struggling to work them out at the moment, they don't seem to be where I think they will 😁

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_20200722_165814.thumb.jpg.72ae282bb735d42092a13a9b973cf61c.jpgJust wanted to share my thoughts about hydrolink, I'm starting to love it, last night I made a lovely double wafter /snowman rig based on the German rig, its lovely to use and straightens up nicely, I wanted to start using wafters on clearer spots again, I will be using curve shanks with it but only had a trig hammer to hand, although it looks quite blatent on the green background, when it's in the margins, it's almost impossible for me to see (remember I am colour blind) 🤣

Hydrolink extreme is still rubbish though, probably only suitable for booms or actual shark hooks 😭

59 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

IMG_20200722_165814.thumb.jpg.72ae282bb735d42092a13a9b973cf61c.jpgJust wanted to share my thoughts about hydrolink, I'm starting to love it, last night I made a lovely double wafter /snowman rig based on the German rig, its lovely to use and straightens up nicely, I wanted to start using wafters on clearer spots again, I will be using curve shanks with it but only had a trig hammer to hand, although it looks quite blatent on the green background, when it's in the margins, it's almost impossible for me to see (remember I am colour blind) 🤣

Hydrolink extreme is still rubbish though, probably only suitable for booms or actual shark hooks 😭

I'm pleased you like it mate. It's the dogs imo! Their fluro and specimon material ar3 equally decent. I'll avoid the extreme from your findings. 

I try to get the loop knot in the anti tangle sleeve, using the long ones. Your pic looks like a standard one? 

I often tie the hooklink to the swivel with a 3 turn blood knot. 

18 minutes ago, commonly said:

I'm pleased you like it mate. It's the dogs imo! Their fluro and specimon material ar3 equally decent. I'll avoid the extreme from your findings. 

I try to get the loop knot in the anti tangle sleeve, using the long ones. Your pic looks like a standard one? 

I often tie the hooklink to the swivel with a 3 turn blood knot. 

They are tungsten anti tangle sleeves and yeah smaller ones, tbh I've found putting the knot inside them makes it go horrible and bendy, which is why I've settled on the long loop for now, I could tie them on  I guess🤔😁

I've just realised it's 2 pages of this blog since I last caught a fish, I'm going to try and redress that this weekend, it's about time i did something about it , liquid loading commenced tonight I'm going to be prepped and ready for an early alarm call Saturday if Mrs putney agrees 😂😁

It was quite good looking back though, made me remember I can do it 👍

I've got a morning to myself tomorrow I might try and sort myself out with a day walking kit, rather than just choose a swim and be done with it, I can always try and slot in on an opportunity later on once I find it rather than hoping it will come to me, I can leave most stuff in the car for the night and spend more time learning new areas, this does depend on it not being too busy naturally 😂 

But I am very excited again and hoping to stop the blanks with a slightly different approach to normal 🤔🤞🙏

10 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I've just realised it's 2 pages of this blog since I last caught a fish, I'm going to try and redress that this weekend, it's about time i did something about it , liquid loading commenced tonight I'm going to be prepped and ready for an early alarm call Saturday if Mrs putney agrees 😂😁

It was quite good looking back though, made me remember I can do it 👍

I've got a morning to myself tomorrow I might try and sort myself out with a day walking kit, rather than just choose a swim and be done with it, I can always try and slot in on an opportunity later on once I find it rather than hoping it will come to me, I can leave most stuff in the car for the night and spend more time learning new areas, this does depend on it not being too busy naturally 😂 

But I am very excited again and hoping to stop the blanks with a slightly different approach to normal 🤔🤞🙏

The only trouble with "hoping it will come to you" is that it could never come. In my opinion if you want to catch regular or catch full stop you have to go and find it and make it happen. 

I know some anglers and even I've done it, the bait and wait approach.  Continuously getting in the same swim and also prebaiting it inbetween fishing. This can be very rewarding but also at the huge risk of someone else being in there. But doing this you once again hope they come to you. 

Tight lines for your next session. 

9 minutes ago, emmcee said:

The only trouble with "hoping it will come to you" is that it could never come. In my opinion if you want to catch regular or catch full stop you have to go and find it and make it happen. 

I know some anglers and even I've done it, the bait and wait approach.  Continuously getting in the same swim and also prebaiting it inbetween fishing. This can be very rewarding but also at the huge risk of someone else being in there. But doing this you once again hope they come to you. 

Tight lines for your next session. 

I think I've been learning each session and I now have options, but I don't have time to regularly pop down and bait at the moment and also, when I did the swim was taken lol , so that put me off for now maybe September onwards might be more the time for that I think, 

Its a funny lake really you can never see what's going on in all of it as its quite split up, so then it's easy to try and settle on your gut, or panic that there is a "Good" swim free and just go to that before someone else does, that's why I think if I am mobile I can spend more time looking and plotting and I will see more things happen,once I decide where I want to be I will just go and get the motor and my other bits and settle in with a beer and some dinner 😂🍺