Back to pastures old

elmoputney

10 hours ago, crusian said:

So Elmo what do credit your wonderful session to , the pedicure and manicure that your girls gave you before you left home ? .

Or is it because of your deep thinking and inquisitive mind ? .

Congratulations ! .

✌️

Honestly both ha ha will have to get my nails done for the next session 😁

Seriously though, the main difference is confidence this year, I'm going Into sessions not having to worry about the small stuff like rigs, bait, method, etc and all that has left me free to relax a bit more and just try and create the ideal situation to get a bite, I spent all last year thinking I needed to be technical and clever this year I am more like a caveman with a club, keeping it simple 😁  

32 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Seriously though, the main difference is confidence this year, I'm going Into sessions not having to worry about the small stuff like rigs, bait, method, etc and all that has left me free to relax a bit more and just try and create the ideal situation to get a bite, I spent all last year thinking I needed to be technical and clever this year I am more like a caveman with a club, keeping it simple 😁  

Aah , Keeping It Simple ! .

I can't remember if it was Yonny , or Emmcee that said something like " get a bait you are confident in , a rig you are confident in , and then all you have to think about is location . "  find the fish and present a bait to them that they want on a rig that resets itself , and bingo ! .

So if I know the theory how come I'm not catching ? .

😢

10 minutes ago, crusian said:

Aah , Keeping It Simple ! .

I can't remember if it was Yonny , or Emmcee that said something like " get a bait you are confident in , a rig you are confident in , and then all you have to think about is location . "  find the fish and present a bait to them that they want on a rig that resets itself , and bingo ! .

So if I know the theory how come I'm not catching ? .

😢

Ive learnt a lot on here from various people along the way, these guys have all really helped me also ginger1991 also really changed my tbinking with regard to using pva now other than at night I am generally rechucking them every couple of hours and a lot of my bites have been within minutes of doing this, generally this works well for me as I know if my rig is tangled its only a couple of hours of down time not a whole session, also leaning to make sure everything is spot on for bite time, I will bait up at night if I need to and recast at first light to make sure I have fresh traps out there, I work harder these days and try and make things happen, rather than sitting and hoping it will happen, 

All I will say is ask questions on here it's been brilliant for me I've learnt lots and I can't thank everyone enough for that 👍👏👏👏

3 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Spot on, keep it simple. 👍

• 2 weeks later...

After Fridays session where I felt I was Constantiy tieing up bags and worrying whether or not they are presented well, which to be fair I think they mainly were, I've decided to look at an alternate method for for the less obvious spots, 

I thought about chods, Ronnie's, roddie and all sorts then thought I don't want to use helicopter set ups if I don't have too and I've not found the Ronnie a rig I've got confidence in, Ive grown quite fond of the inline tadpole set up the lead ALWAYS comes off the tadpole and the leader if required and I'm convinced it's as safe as it can be , I'm not really a fan of pop ups In bags they always seem to just look blatent or too low to be effective in all situations so I got to thinking, and back to hinge stuff rigs is the answer, I think that will sit on top of most weedy areas I've faced so far and will be fine with a nugget attached to slow it down, its also one I have faith in 

Does anyone think an inline set up isn't the one for the HSR? I just think it would be nice to know there is a nice pop up waiting for a big girl to slip up on, this will also suit my scattergun baiting approach especially as I have more pop ups than mainline in my garage 😁

I will still use bags on at least one rod but using them on all 3 seems to leave me constantly tieing them up which doesn't leave enough time to just relax 😢

I love my Combi type rig, acting very much like a HSR, with shot where the fluro stops and braid starts. Hydrolink by rigmarole is the dogs! 

My preferred in line leads are below, I've always landed a bite from them. It gives the centre of gravity effect. 

I stopped using bags after watching underwater 7 & 8. I always put a few freebies in pva mesh, done in seconds. Gives the effect of a stringer, at a fraction of the time! 

Screenshot_20200608-180410.png

Screenshot_20200608-180921.png

IMG_20200608_183454.thumb.jpg.abcd2e1820d8efc1a2cad4f04a671135.jpg

I just quickly knocked this up it's the mark pitchers style one, a bit like a multi rig set up with a doubled over length of mouth trap, it's certainly stiff😁 will just use a semi stiff coated braid for the boom section 

Hydrolink is one of the few braids I haven't tried yet, I do keep meaning too just haven't 😳

9 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Hydrolink is one of the few braids I haven't tried yet, I do keep meaning too just haven't 😳

It's braid over fluro, so you pull back the braid, cut the fluro and pull the braid back, to form the supple hook length!! Idiot proof (yes I am) & simple (just how I like things to be). 

Their fluro will pull straight, so no need for steaming it straight, another unique benefit. 

P. S. I don't work for them😉

12 hours ago, commonly said:

It's braid over fluro, so you pull back the braid, cut the fluro and pull the braid back, to form the supple hook length!! Idiot proof (yes I am) & simple (just how I like things to be). 

Their fluro will pull straight, so no need for steaming it straight, another unique benefit. 

P. S. I don't work for them😉

It does look like good stuff, I can't seem to find many examples of possible rigs using it online though, I looked at the extreme but I was wondering if it is bendable so you could make a nice easy hinge rig? But with a curved stiff part up to the hook much like the one I made above, or whether you need to use an inturned hook to create the curve, if you have any examples of rigs I would like to see them 👍

15 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Does anyone think an inline set up isn't the one for the HSR?

Me🖐️

It sounds like you want to use the hinge due to weed and chod. If you chuck and inline into weed/chod the lead will drag the rig down into the weed, maybe only partially or maybe it'll bury it. You'll be relying on an element of luck to be presented.

Luck is not the one mate, you need to KNOW you're presented, every time.

I don't want to use helicopter set ups if I don't have too

Why not bro? A heli is perfect if you're worried about weed/chod/presentation.

roddie

Imo the 'roddie' rig is the stupidest rig that anyone ever came up with. It takes all the disadvantages of the chod and makes them worse. Avoid at all costs imo.

2 hours ago, yonny said:

Me🖐️

It sounds like you want to use the hinge due to weed and chod. If you chuck and inline into weed/chod the lead will drag the rig down into the weed, maybe only partially or maybe it'll bury it. You'll be relying on an element of luck to be presented.

Luck is not the one mate, you need to KNOW you're presented, every time.

Why not bro? A heli is perfect if you're worried about weed/chod/presentation.

Imo the 'roddie' rig is the stupidest rig that anyone ever came up with. It takes all the disadvantages of the chod and makes them worse. Avoid at all costs imo.

I did quickly dismiss the chod and roddie rig tbh, these really highlight the things I don't like about using a heli set up, as you probably need to leave the bead further away from the lead and that's what I don't like abiut it so much, and why I prefer an inline or lead clip set up as the rig is directly connected to the lead if you see what I mean, I do agree its probably best for presentation over anything and a last resort but I think if I am getting a Decent drop it should be OK and I would get better indication and more positive takes, 

I think if the weed was worse on the spots I would probably see it as my only option, when I am finding spots at the moment I am using a grippa lead and also making multiple casts to clear it a bit so I am fairly confident it's not mega weedy on that spot and. Most of the times I have bought my wafter rigs in clean too, it's mainly patches of Canadian and a little silk weed and there are clear spots of you can find them some are just a little harder to find and they are the ones I want to be fishing I think 😁

11 hours ago, elmoputney said:

if you have any examples of rigs I would like to see them 👍

Will do mate, it's almost time to wrestle the gear out the back of my lock up. Next Friday I'll be on the bank & try to detail it.

Honestly so easy, all you need to do tie the hook and to the swivel.

I've found a link, it mentions a video that may make it clear. Hydrolink 

https://www.rigmarole.co.uk/products/end-tackle-accessories/hooklinks

20 hours ago, commonly said:

Will do mate, it's almost time to wrestle the gear out the back of my lock up. Next Friday I'll be on the bank & try to detail it.

Honestly so easy, all you need to do tie the hook and to the swivel.

I've found a link, it mentions a video that may make it clear. Hydrolink 

https://www.rigmarole.co.uk/products/end-tackle-accessories/hooklinks

Nice one thanks, I have tried watching the vids and stuff, they aren't the easiest company to find details on, it's hard to find pics of what colour the products actually are, 😢 

So talking heli set ups today 😁

What is the best way to attach the lead, lead type for the most direct hooking potential? Bank tackle do qc rings which look neat I'm also thinking 4oz heli leads without a swivel? 

Obviously using a bead that will detach should it need too, I have grown fond of avid pin down leader it's nice to splice so want to continue using that if possible, 

So what do you guys use for a neat heli set up, 

My choice on heli set up depends on the lake tbh.

Leadcore is MILES better for hooking potential (imo) but I'm currently using a fluoro leader set up for distance.

Your suggestions (Pin down, qc ring, lead) will be absolutely fine. Maybe get a sleeve of some kind to smarten it up. Any old lead will do mate.

1 hour ago, yonny said:

My choice on heli set up depends on the lake tbh.

Leadcore is MILES better for hooking potential (imo) but I'm currently using a fluoro leader set up for distance.

Your suggestions (Pin down, qc ring, lead) will be absolutely fine. Maybe get a sleeve of some kind to smarten it up. Any old lead will do mate.

Cheers for the reply, Leadcore is banned but I guess tungsten beads will help add more weight , pin down sinks pretty well tbh anyway, will have a look at what else I can find to chuck at it 😁

I still think I will use the inline set up if I can get away with it, but it may not hurt to try and fine tune a heli set up to as back up for the more extreme situations, 

55 minutes ago, commonly said:

Sorry its loads of posts upload limits and errors 🙄

No worries can be a faff sometimes when you want to upload a few pics, tbanks for taking the time to show me. Looks pretty good stuff I might see what I can do with it, will get some. Ordered thanks 

Edited by elmoputney

• 2 weeks later...

I've got Permission for a night tomorrow, so have been prepping stuff, I am tired today been up since 4am all week. but does anyone else find sorting there gear out stressful, I don't know why, I just find myself reorganising stuff and wondering what I am missing because I've made extra space in my rucksack, it just does my head in, I have lessened the amount of stuff I take and I am better organised but jeez, my overactive brain makes this task a mission in itself, 😜 I might write a checklist of the things I need to take while I am there, 🤓

I feel like I should be continuing using bags, as its obviously made a huge difference to my catch rate but tbh, I can't be bothered to sit tying them all the time, I've done a few so may use them on one rod but it's just not relaxing enough and adds to things I need to do before I leave 😔

I've got about 4kg of liquid loaded boilies soaked in goodness and finished off with crayfish and krillmeal jackets, I think they look ready for action now,these should be oozing goodies into the water column 👍IMG_20200626_174259.thumb.jpg.efb698bd748d8d488db27bee59b00289.jpg

My mate is coming round for some beers tonight and I think I need a few to chill out its been a long week 😩🙂

But I can't wait till tomorrow, its like Christmas everytime I get to fish these days,,🤶🎄🎄🎅😂

Tight lines all