Otter case

Carpbell_ll

See there is a news story going round about a fishery owner getting a jail sentance for removing an otter from his lake.

Fishery boss, 54, who shot and killed protected otter in front of horrified campers after the animals kept eating £40,000 carp is jailed for two months in landmark case

He was jailed for two months by a judge at Bournemouth Crown Court. Afterwards Dave Webb, founder of the UK Wild Otter Trust, said it was the first case of its kind in the UK and he was 'over the moon' with the outcome.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8088909/Barbaric-fishery-boss-54-killed-protected-otter-horrified-campers-jailed.html

??

bit stupid to do it in front of people!! again, totally get the reasoning. I have zero respect for Dave Webb after speaking to him at length and him confirming to me that otter releases, although not condoned by the UKWOT still happen and release sites have never been recorded or selected on potential impact to fishery businesses, and the bit that made me lose his respect further, is that he doesnt support changing the release system. As much as he says he wants to help fisheries, he doesnt, he is against them and couldnt give a monkeys. 

The way he casually says a 30k fence is worth it for a fishery as if they have that kind of dough knocking about spare. He's an idiot and I really really hope a judge somewhere, one day, allows a fishery owner who cannot erect fencing for whatever reason to shoot otters just to see the look on his face.

What i noticed was the thing was caught in a landing net that must of been an otter that very comfortable to be out in the day time and getting close enought to an angler that it ends up in a landing.

See Mr. Webb has also send he s pleased an OAP has gone to prison as it sends a message to other " fishery people ". Indeed it will personly i think the judge should of susspended the sentance due to the bloke being honest in his actions, not like he was hunting them in the dark off his land all camo'ed up not the kind of guy to shoot one and then run it over a few times before leaving it in the road, some people are too honest for theier own good.

put it this way, there is no known numbers for otters, or even population estimate. How can something which could actually be in excess be deemed as endangered still?? I tell the people I work with that love otters that the so called 'its only nature' route is not true, as they are rehabilitated and released instead of being left to die...that is not natural... there is no argument to it which makes me chuckle when they try. If you find a dying animal then nature intends for it to die!!

It happens with every animal, including humans. i.e. without prolonging life with complex surgery and drugs there wouldn't be a failing medical service (I still blame the Government for not funding it properly). Too many otters = no birds, fish, frogs, etc. too many lions = no gazelles. too many cows = no long grass in the field. 

Another thing to remember is a lot of these otters are micro chipped.... I'm sure someone was done a few years back after dealing with an otter . Put it in the boot of his car to deal with the next day , but was caught after the otter was clocked doing 60mph down an A road , & then parked up for the night 😂

he got 2 months for that when my mates 70 year old mum had her car broken into outside her house and when she went out they punched her in the face knocking her out for 5 minutes.

all this was caught on camera and even tho their faces are clear and my mate knew who they were the police took 5 days to respond and took no further action.

she should have said she was a polish otter they would have sent the sas out lol

3 minutes ago, harpz_31 said:

he got 2 months for that when my mates 70 year old mum had her car broken into outside her house and when she went out they punched her in the face knocking her out for 5 minutes.

all this was caught on camera and even tho their faces are clear and my mate knew who they were the police took 5 days to respond and took no further action.

Disgusting mate .... you see cases like this all to often . Guarantee if anyone dished out some local justice they would have been locked up for it ! 

21 hours ago, chillfactor said:

Another thing to remember is a lot of these otters are micro chipped.... I'm sure someone was done a few years back after dealing with an otter . Put it in the boot of his car to deal with the next day , but was caught after the otter was clocked doing 60mph down an A road , & then parked up for the night 😂

not according to Dave Webb.... he says it's too risky to chip them all as they don't respond well to the anaesthetic. If they were chipped then they'd be easy to track and get numbers and distributions...even evidence they visit your fishery and are causing the damage!

image.thumb.png.2d9d57d73daaa5c7997ccdd5e6061cf5.png

The big mistake was doing it in front of other people.

Trap it, cage it, then 'remove it' later as I believe the law allows.

Justice at the moment is on the side of greenies in most cases, with one big exception of HS2. 

There are some organisations who receive 100% help from CPS, some of which is totally misaimed. I have seen the RSPCA get prosecutions pushed through for very dubious cases. 

I find it maddening that the UK Wild Otter Trust or any other nature group has no figures on how many otters there are in the wild. You can pretty much guarantee that we know nationwide approximately how many deer there are in any particular area, yet we don't know how many otters. 

2 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I find it maddening that the UK Wild Otter Trust or any other nature group has no figures on how many otters there are in the wild. You can pretty much guarantee that we know nationwide approximately how many deer there are in any particular area, yet we don't know how many otters. 

I can imagine it is pretty difficult to put a figure on it as they have such large territories and sightings aren't that commonplace. An otter seen in one place could be seen a few kilometres away the next day but if there are no distinguishing features how do you identify it's the same one or a different one?

I'd say that the do-gooders dont want to even guess numbers as the need to release them and rehab them will be gone due to how many there are. Better for them there are no numbers so there can be no argument for or against them.

54 minutes ago, oscsha said:

I wonder if the charity watchdog could enforce a chipping programme , surely they need to prove they are endangered or in decline to keep their charitable status ? 

problem  is most of the releases are illegal!! there is 1 licensed rehab centre in the UK which is allowed up to 20 releases a year...they released only 7 in 2018... the figures for it will be publicly available or obtainable through an FOI request.