Trajectory of a catapulted boilie

Paul46

Do you guys  somehow calculate of guess the trajectory of your boilies fired with a catapult?

I have been fishing a spot in the deeper part of the lake around 12-15ft at 40yards using 15mm boilies .

I have been having success with a small mesh bag and a handful of catapulted boilies over the top but I often wonder how the trajectory of the bait changes when it hits the water .

Interesting question and I can only guess but my assumption would be that the impact on the water would take a lot of the angle out of the bait and it would fall fairly straight from where it landed as long as they go up then down I guess if you fired it straight down at the marker it may go further underwater, just do what I do and don't be too accurate then you will have a spread around 😁

Another factor would be topspin or back spin, I am pretty sure a throwing stick will give you back spin which would mean your bait virtually stops dead on impact but unsure if a boilie spins out of a Pult 😁

1 hour ago, Paul46 said:

I often wonder how the trajectory of the bait changes when it hits the water .

You're over-thinking it imo buddy. Just fire them where your spot is👍

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

my assumption would be that the impact on the water would take a lot of the angle out of the bait and it would fall fairly straight from where it landed

I've worked on this principle for nearly 25 years and it's worked pretty well.

if you think that a bullet slows almost to a stop over a few feet on impact with water (films were you see people being shot while under water are BS so dont say you saw it on saving private ryanso it must be true) a boilie will drop straight down from the point it entered the water (undertow besides)

Just now, Paul46 said:

I know I am overthinking things but just thought I would ask for the sake of asking really , thanks anyway chaps 

Now you know so it's OK, doesn't hurt to ask if you aren't sure, I am also a terrible over thinker, I was really bad for most of last year tbh 😁

This year I have a plan and I will make it work 😁👍

51 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Now you know so it's OK, doesn't hurt to ask if you aren't sure, I am also a terrible over thinker, I was really bad for most of last year tbh 😁

This year I have a plan and I will make it work 😁👍

I would think Elmo can’t sleep at night the amount of over thinking he does lol,

fish are funny creatures they are rarely where we think they should be and when we find them it’s usually why are they there 

my theory is 

1 find them first 

2 give them something they may like to eat

3 use a sharp enough hook 

4 everything  else really doesn’t matter to much whether that be rigs what your gear looks like on the bank or if you only go once a year or every day

Edited by framey

13 minutes ago, framey said:

I would think Elmo can’t sleep at night the amount of over thinking he does lol,

fish are funny creatures they are rarely where we think they should be and when we find them it’s usually why are they there 

my theory is 

1 find them first 

2 give them something they may like to eat

3 use a sharp enough hook 

4 everything  else really doesn’t matter to much whether that be rigs what your gear looks like on the bank or if you only go once a year or every day

That's a bit of a chicken /egg scenario I can't decide if it's lack of sleep that causes the overthinking, or the overthinking that causes the lack of sleep, going to have to Mull that one over for a while  😁