Gardner Pocket Rocket Spod

Hi anglers!

Today i was looking for a spod set (rod+reel) cause I'm afraid to break my rods when spodding (i'm using 3lb rods), but right now i can't afford a good set.

I remember that Gardner has a tiny rocket spod, they say that it weights between 2 or 3 ouces when filled. 

Anyone using one of those small spods? Thoughts about it?

Edited by Machali

Just now, Machali said:

Will be my solution for now, i usually don't spod huge amounts of bait while fihsing. In a near future i'll look for a dedicated rod+reel to pre-bait campaigns.

;)

7 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

http://www.korda.co.uk/fishingtackle/baiting-up/mini-skyliner/

I quite often use one of these. This is my weapon of choice for baiting overhanging trees on the far margin. It makes so little splash compared to the larger spods, providing you hit the clip and soften the landing with the rod.

I've got a bit skyliner, I have to say I prefer it a big Spomb, might get a small one now I've been enlightened in the subtle art of spodding I have always been a bomb dropper lol, I've also got an xl pocket rocket, that flies well also, maybe a couple of small Spombs for finesse could be the answer 🤔

28 minutes ago, yonny said:

Me too. I used to use the small/midi ones but when I spomb I tend to spomb a lot. I got so bored if spodding for hours that I always use the big one now.

It's probably not a bad thing for me to go smaller though these days though, might help me feel I've put enough bait out with out overdoing it 😁

And actually smaller Spods may better represent the pva parcel I want them to eat 👍

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

It's probably not a bad thing for me to go smaller though these days though, might help me feel I've put enough bait out with out overdoing it 😁

And actually smaller Spods may better represent the pva parcel I want them to eat 👍

12 or 13 baits in a small spomb 4 or 5 chuck outs plenty to get the bite 

7 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I've got a bit skyliner, I have to say I prefer it a big Spomb, might get a small one now I've been enlightened in the subtle art of spodding I have always been a bomb dropper lol, I've also got an xl pocket rocket, that flies well also, maybe a couple of small Spombs for finesse could be the answer 🤔

I usually fish in wild waters and I prefer a subtle approach during the sessions. I'll probably use a big spomb for pre-bait, and a tiny one during short sessions

On 27/02/2020 at 14:58, yonny said:

I used to use the small/midi ones

On 27/02/2020 at 17:24, framey said:

in a small spomb

On 27/02/2020 at 15:33, elmoputney said:

go smaller

I've always found the smaller ones a prone to tangling. A mate had the same issue too. 

Is that down to my mediocre casting ability or just the small spomb at a reasonable distance. 

I never have tangles with a large one🤔

4 minutes ago, Machali said:

So in your experience must match the size (or weigh) of the spod/spomb to rod power to prevent tangle?

I would try to get as close as possible, its not much fun trying to cast something too heavy or light for the rod tbh for my 3lb rods I like a 3.5oz lead, i tried a wide pva bag with a 3.5oz lead in the other day was fine for shorter distance but I wouldn't want to launch one too far, 

If using a 3lb rod I wouldn't want to cast much more than 4oz ideally 

I might have a look at the little avid spods today they look pretty nifty 

23 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I would try to get as close as possible, its not much fun trying to cast something too heavy or light for the rod tbh for my 3lb rods I like a 3.5oz lead, i tried a wide pva bag with a 3.5oz lead in the other day was fine for shorter distance but I wouldn't want to launch one too far, 

If using a 3lb rod I wouldn't want to cast much more than 4oz ideally 

I might have a look at the little avid spods today they look pretty nifty 

I tried to use a big spod on my rod, what a poor idea... 

Give us some feedback when you try those little avid please :)

I sometimes wonder about Spod/Spombing, to be honest I don't see the value of using a small Spomb. As the bait falls through the water it spreads out a long way, not really enough in one area to attract or hold the fish. In a Rob Hughes 'Under the water' article I think his words were "Spomb in what you think is right, then do 5 more".

You really are better using a PVA bag or mesh than a small Spomb.

If I spod or Spomb bait in, it is a job that takes at least half an hour, sometimes longer, and you don't want to be doing it over deep water, especially if there is an undertow that takes your bait away from the impact point.

As has been pointed out, spod or Spomb size needs to match the rod. My Big Bertha will cast a load of 12oz, the usual load is 8oz and that is to over 100metres. If I go to a smaller load than that I am just windmilling the bait dropper around the rod tip.

Next thing, I keep saying it, I DO NOT get on at all well with braid on a Spod or Spomb rod. 50lb braid smashed it, cracked off, and aside from the loss of a bait dropper at £? a time, the guy on the far bank could be quivering. A crack-off can go more than 4times the cast distance.

I still use mono, and I can use 50lb Greased Weasel mono leader. Mono has stretch, which reduces crack-offs for me. There is no or minimal stretch on braid, and  hitting a clip can cause it to crack.