Safest set up for fishing in weed.

Paul46

19 minutes ago, Paul46 said:

What rigs are folk on here using in and around weed that offers the safest possible outcome for the fish should you suffer a snapped line .

Helicopter for me i'd go straight through on the mainline, but a bit of good quality tubing would be OK if you feel the need, rigs would depend on what the rig was fishing on, the choddy  or something like it would be best, or a wafter if you want something on the deck. 

I wouldn't use a helicopter rig anywhere near weed, I stick as much as possible to rigs below the lead.

In most cases I have found an inline tournament or zipp shaped lead gave me the best set-up, that weed actually slides over with no problems. 

On 03/02/2020 at 18:19, salokcinnodrog said:

I wouldn't use a helicopter rig anywhere near weed, I stick as much as possible to rigs below the lead.

In most cases I have found an inline tournament or zipp shaped lead gave me the best set-up, that weed actually slides over with no problems. 

15 hours ago, marker said:

I use inlines fished 'drop off' style when fishing in weed, i'm not a fan of dumping leads but if it's thick enough to cause a problem landing them I will ;)

But if your line snaps this set up is not at all safe for the fish, which is what the OP was asking. 

Heli/chod set up is safest as long as your top bead comes free and the swivel of the hooklink can pass over whatever you used to stop the bead then a fish would just be left with the rig in its mouth. 
Running rigs you leave the line but no lead, same with drop off lead clips or inlines. Anything not dropping the lead is not safe for the fish and IMO irresponsible angling. 

6 hours ago, greekskii said:

But if your line snaps this set up is not at all safe for the fish, which is what the OP was asking. 

Heli/chod set up is safest as long as your top bead comes free and the swivel of the hooklink can pass over whatever you used to stop the bead then a fish would just be left with the rig in its mouth. 
Running rigs you leave the line but no lead, same with drop off lead clips or inlines. Anything not dropping the lead is not safe for the fish and IMO irresponsible angling. 

i'm not sure the heli is safe either mate, in an ideal world yes, as long as the top bead comes free you should be ok, but weed can be horrible stuff and it doesn't take much to clog things up and stop a rig working as intended, the top bead actually coming off in this scenario is a big assumption, I wouldn't trust it even with a helisafe bead on ;)