Things I don't want to see or hear in 2020!

Golden Paws

I'm a self confessed addict to You Tube these days (have you seen how much drivel is on TV?) but am getting to the stage now where it does all seem a bit "samey" and getting a bit annoying. To be fair, most of the stuff on the ESP Site with Tel or Martin Bowler is usually highly watch able but some of the other stuff can be a bit predictable or you know you are being lied to. Here is some of my observations I don't want to put up with in 2020.

1. "Goodbye my luv" (kiss) as Carp slipped back.

2. "Best bait I've ever used" (hic), "pass me another Diamond White!"

3. People droning on and on about their latest session with Carp in arms gasping for air! For god's sake, take the hook out, quick piccie and then put the thing back ASAP.

4. "I'll put this one back and hopefully catch a bigger one....."

5. "Get in the net, get in the net...... Pukka!"

6. "I've just turned up at the lake and selected this swim........" Liar! The swim has been roped off and the Bailiff has been filling it in for days!

7.  "We've been told that there are Carp in this lake but we don't know anything about the stock...." Liars! You've Googled the granny out of it for months and checked the Instagram page every day!

I must have missed quite a few, any more offers?

Fish kissing 😘😘😘😘😁

Being made up with this one 🤐

Spombs, delkims, excessive pva bag making shots, all banned

More editing in of casting up trees less perfect first time casting, 

If you are going to break fishery rules whilst filming at least check your continuity, I notice these things especially if you tell me the fishery rules 😁

Pointless barrow loading and unloading and car park shots (I don't care 😳

I like Carl and Alex, Dave Lane, carp catcher, Leon bartropp, baitworx, sticky bait and thinking anglers, cast a line Heseltine and the Nash ones are well shot and I've also got into honest carpy blogs lately they are funny 

1 hour ago, Golden Paws said:

I'm a self confessed addict to You Tube these days (have you seen how much drivel is on TV?) but am getting to the stage now where it does all seem a bit "samey" and getting a bit annoying. To be fair, most of the stuff on the ESP Site with Tel or Martin Bowler is usually highly watch able but some of the other stuff can be a bit predictable or you know you are being lied to. Here is some of my observations I don't want to put up with in 2020.

1. "Goodbye my luv" (kiss) as Carp slipped back.

2. "Best bait I've ever used" (hic), "pass me another Diamond White!"

3. People droning on and on about their latest session with Carp in arms gasping for air! For god's sake, take the hook out, quick piccie and then put the thing back ASAP.

4. "I'll put this one back and hopefully catch a bigger one....."

5. "Get in the net, get in the net...... Pukka!"

6. "I've just turned up at the lake and selected this swim........" Liar! The swim has been roped off and the Bailiff has been filling it in for days!

7.  "We've been told that there are Carp in this lake but we don't know anything about the stock...." Liars! You've Googled the granny out of it for months and checked the Instagram page every day!

I must have missed quite a few, any more offers?

No 3 just does my head in. 

They all bang on about fish care and then stand there suffocating the poor thing. 

And there's more things that really get me going, here's a selection;

Dash cam footage of your 80 mile journey on the motorway speeded up 50 times so it looks like you travelled in hyperspace.

Over plugging of your sponsors tackle. Yes, I know that they are "advertoriuls" and they help to offset the costs of a professional shoot and editing but sometimes subtle is better than "in your face."

You caught a big fish so we're all going to chuck a bucket of water over you? What's that all about?

Name dropping. I was fishing with "insert famous name" last week or you 'phone him and have a conversation on the bank about your latest capture and get a virtual slap on the back. It's bad enough with Biggins doing it all the time, we don't need (cough  ahem), roughty toughty Carp anglers doing it as well.

Go pro footage taken on your forehead and the rod resembles a banana!

Endless banal chatter about nothing. The carp dog gets called "Pork Chop" and he gets his cotton socks blessed every 2 minutes! Sorry Leon. Don't get me started on Biscuit of the Week.

Catch and Cook video's. Don't go there! Ditto Bow fishing video's.

BE LUCKY and over cockneying 

Talking about nothing but that you are just having a cuppa and you will be back with a other update soon 

I do like Leon though there is an intelligence in his angling and he seems a decent chap and he does catch some good fish 

I watched someone use every bait In the dynamite range over 3 rods earlier and then went on to use glug and hookbait dip too, 😁

And a few more things;

The sound track you wanted. The wind whispering gently through the rushes, the buzz of insects and slurping of Carp as they suck them off the surface before they can escape their watery meniscus. Cuckoo's calling for a mate in the woods behind you amidst the peace and tranquillity of an English lake set deep in the countryside. The soundtrack you got. Ibiza at dawn after a drug hazed night of frantic dancing with Pete Tong spinning some repetitive Drum and Bass or Trance at full volume.

You've made it. Sponsored by a tackle firm and apart from being paid, get to have a "Supermarket Sweep" of their warehouse and pick up all the latest gear totally free - check. Bait company sponsors you and get all you could possibly need buckshee - check. What to spend your money on then? Ah, the lure of a Rolex proves too strong and you splash out on a flashy timepiece. Most of us would just get a rosy glow as we periodically checked the time but no, you have to be flash. Instead of shots of the lead landing accurately at 120 yards plus, the lead trapped expertly so it hits the water with barely a ripple and you take up the slack in a flash and feel for that "donk", the cameraman zooms in as the line pours off the reel, with your new watch on full display!

"The Carp seem to have a liking for this bait." They should do, you rowed out a few days ago and deposited 50 kg of your latest sponsors bait and all the Carp (or Pond Pigs as they are now called) are sat on the area absolutely stuffed and are unable to move but just like walking past a bakery, a fresh smelly one could entice one to bite. Just don't get too cocky and try selling any excess you've creamed off to anglers on the bank or you'll be looking for another sponsors pretty soon!

Challenges. I don't know about you but I find Carp fishing a challenge at the best of times but for the sake of entertainment, make it a bit harder. Blindfold on and then throw a dart and be handicapped further. Reverse the handle on your reel so you have to fish it "scrammy". Limit the amount of bait used or fish with "budget" tackle. Chat to the cameraman all the time and giggle like little schoolgirls about in jokes that no-one else seems to understand.

You've just caught a biggie, the prize is in your arms and you proceed to tell everyone it's life story, the weight, the rig, the bait, the campaign you've undertaken before it's demise. The things mouth is constantly extending as it tries to feel the cool water and it's oxygen dissolved within that it needs to live and it's gills flap as it can't understand why it's struggling to breathe. Finally after a soliloquy worthy of a Shakespearian actor, you put it back. You retreat to the Bivvy and tell the story of it's life story, the weight, the rig, the bait, the campaign you've undertaken before it's demise, just in case you weren't listening first time.

"I'm fishing a foreign water that's completely off the radar". Why are there countless area's of patchy ground all around the lake where bivvy's have been staked out?   

I spend most of my time on youtube too these days, there are very few, if any, of these gripes in my videos, little or no annoying music, i'll never kiss a fish, no annoying sayings like pukka or unit, I dislike tackle and bait companies and their social media advertising tactics so no endless plugs, in fact my channel is dedicated to doing things on the cheap and using alternatives ;) if you haven't seen any of my stuff before just search for 'mark carp', apologies for the plug but i'm sure there's something on my channel you'll find useful :) 

I think we're lucky in that there is more quality angling entertainment available completely free of charge than ever before. We don't realise how lucky we are. Twenty years ago you'd spend 20 quid on a video that wasn't half as good as some of the free stuff out there nowadays. I am looking forward to more of the ESP, Thinking Anglers and Sticky stuff.

I tend not to let anything I don't like wind me up, I'll just not watch it.

20 hours ago, marker said:

I spend most of my time on youtube too these days, there are very few, if any, of these gripes in my videos, little or no annoying music, i'll never kiss a fish, no annoying sayings like pukka or unit, I dislike tackle and bait companies and their social media advertising tactics so no endless plugs, in fact my channel is dedicated to doing things on the cheap and using alternatives ;) if you haven't seen any of my stuff before just search for 'mark carp', apologies for the plug but i'm sure there's something on my channel you'll find useful :) 

I watched a couple of your vids last night found them quite interesting and easy to watch, some good advice and easy to follow tips etc, 

3 hours ago, yonny said:

I think we're lucky in that there is more quality angling entertainment available completely free of charge than ever before. We don't realise how lucky we are. Twenty years ago you'd spend 20 quid on a video that wasn't half as good as some of the free stuff out there nowadays. I am looking forward to more of the ESP, Thinking Anglers and Sticky stuff.

I tend not to let anything I don't like wind me up, I'll just not watch it.

This is true tbh we are quite lucky these days, you can usually find something that may help your own angling on you tube 

Still don't like fish kissing though 😂

And actually I find also that Mark Pitchers is very watchable tbh, he is natural on the camera and funny, and also quite enjoy the challenges as it's something different, and not serious all the time, shows that fishing can be fun 

Also I was in my hay day in the 1990's and spent quite some time raving, so I don't mind the drum and bass heavy vids it's a nice juxtapostion for me raving and fishing 

20 hours ago, marker said:

I dislike tackle and bait companies and their social media advertising tactics so no endless plugs.......

apologies for the plug......

That made me chuckle lol.

I think it's very clear that blatant product plugging is a thing of the past. Just look at the latest Korda films, they hardly mention any gear during the main event, they whack it all in a "featured in this film" bit at the end that you don't have to watch. It's great.

Ultimately most of these films are glorified adverts so we should expect a bit of plugging but the days are gone where it's all Trakker this, Daiwa that, Cell Cell Cell. These firms know that free content with zero plugging is out there so they had to react by creating a more viewer friendly experience. We've never had it so good imo.

17 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Have you watched the free cryptography interview with Danny Fairbrass yet?

I've seen all the Cyp stuff, I've been a subscriber from the start. It is the best content out there imo.

DF always comes across very well in interviews, he doesn't deserve any of the stick he gets. He even gets stick for the Embryo stuff which is laughable. Those waters are cheap as chips compared to similar syndicates, they're incredibly well run too. And Korda might not be the cheapest gear but the company has ethics (despite what others might tell you). I admire DF for what he's achieved in the angling world.

3 hours ago, yonny said:

I've seen all the Cyp stuff, I've been a subscriber from the start. It is the best content out there imo.

DF always comes across very well in interviews, he doesn't deserve any of the stick he gets. He even gets stick for the Embryo stuff which is laughable. Those waters are cheap as chips compared to similar syndicates, they're incredibly well run too. And Korda might not be the cheapest gear but the company has ethics (despite what others might tell you). I admire DF for what he's achieved in the angling world.

I work with a guy who's on the cawcutts syndicate he loves it and has caught some pretty nice fish tbh 

On 30/12/2019 at 10:33, elmoputney said:

I watched a couple of your vids last night found them quite interesting and easy to watch, some good advice and easy to follow tips etc, 

thanks mate, I appreciate the feedback, I do try to make each one better but it's hard work, you start off with an idea of how you want things to go then you go fishing and film it, trouble is your fishing trips never pan out as you expect them too and you end up with something completely different to your original idea 🤣

On 30/12/2019 at 10:56, yonny said:

That made me chuckle lol.

I think it's very clear that blatant product plugging is a thing of the past. Just look at the latest Korda films, they hardly mention any gear during the main event, they whack it all in a "featured in this film" bit at the end that you don't have to watch. It's great.

Ultimately most of these films are glorified adverts so we should expect a bit of plugging but the days are gone where it's all Trakker this, Daiwa that, Cell Cell Cell. These firms know that free content with zero plugging is out there so they had to react by creating a more viewer friendly experience. We've never had it so good imo.

hmmm, not sure I agree with that yonny, perhaps in video format from the big names but a lot of youtubers are still do it and it's completely out of control on fb and Instagram :(

On 30/12/2019 at 11:30, yonny said:

I'd say he puts more back into angling than most. And he doesn't want to be acknowledged for a lot of it. He does a hell of a lot for angling that goes unannounced and he wants it unannounced.  Most would want their name plastered or spouted about if they do something but not in his case. Yes he has his company and others plastered all over some of his dvd/ youtube videos etc but then so do all the rest of the tackle/bait firms who make DVDs etc. 

I started the thread and might have had a dig or two at Danny Fairbrass as I can find him a bit annoying at times, especially when he's playing or returning a fish! However, I do respect what has he done for the Carping fraternity and the Korda DVD's and now on-line tutorials are a great source of knowledge and when he is explaining his thinking behind his tactics or rigs, he is first class. His Embryo project also seems to be genuinely about protecting venues and the Carp contained within them. As Yonny mentioned a while back, we really haven't had it so good with regard to fishing video's and they are virtually all free. If a bit of plugging is the price to pay, I'm happy to accept that. I just had a seasonal bit of fun and pointed out some things I do find annoying about them, my pet hate being the amount to time an angler holds a fish out of water whilst telling the story as I'm usually screaming at the screen telling him to put it back!

I will say outright now... that I think a lot of TV/Youtube carping programs are the root of some atrocious angling practices... and then again there is some good stuff out there... there was a time when Carp fishing was the pinnacle of specimen fishing in this country... you learned to catch smaller species and picked up watercraft and general angling knowledge as you went along.... I freely admit I'm a Dinosaur amongst you youngsters, but it saddens me to see some of the practices (whilst not advocated by the stars) are emulated, such as fish out of water for too long, overgunning on rods and reels (bait too) the copying of "The Trophy Shot" (with usual crass comments) the secrecy the bad attitudes of some, fishing a margin from the opposite bank is a reeeeeaaaal pet hate for me.... walk round, sit well back, and fish a margin properly ya dweeb.... told ya... I'm a Dinosaur.... perhaps I need to go and stroke me cane again and twirl me pins...

On 28/12/2019 at 19:58, Golden Paws said:

And there's more things that really get me going, here's a selection;

Dash cam footage of your 80 mile journey on the motorway speeded up 50 times so it looks like you travelled in hyperspace.

Over plugging of your sponsors tackle. Yes, I know that they are "advertoriuls" and they help to offset the costs of a professional shoot and editing but sometimes subtle is better than "in your face."

You caught a big fish so we're all going to chuck a bucket of water over you? What's that all about?

Name dropping. I was fishing with "insert famous name" last week or you 'phone him and have a conversation on the bank about your latest capture and get a virtual slap on the back. It's bad enough with Biggins doing it all the time, we don't need (cough  ahem), roughty toughty Carp anglers doing it as well.

Go pro footage taken on your forehead and the rod resembles a banana!

Endless banal chatter about nothing. The carp dog gets called "Pork Chop" and he gets his cotton socks blessed every 2 minutes! Sorry Leon. Don't get me started on Biscuit of the Week.

Catch and Cook video's. Don't go there! Ditto Bow fishing video's.

What about carp dog it’s a dog lol

looks nothing like a carp