What's your plans for the new year?

elmoputney

9 hours ago, emmcee said:

Totally agree regarding the remote, though I do persevere with mine. I'm 100% confident in handling fish but add a remote to the equation and I become a complete numpty. I must admit I've got it pretty sussed now though. 

Try an intervalometer, you won't look back I reckon, makes life so much easier tbh once you get it sorted it just does the snapping for you meaning you can just concentrate on being I front of the camera, 

13 hours ago, Big Bass said:

iv got my hands on a Nikon D3300 vr 11 kit for free

Decent camera mate.

No flip screen so you'll have to practise getting your framing/set-up right (do this at home and not on the bank with a fish in the net lol), but the camera/lens is capable of decent results. You'll probs want to upgrade the lens to a prime lens at some point.

3 hours ago, yonny said:

Decent camera mate.

No flip screen so you'll have to practise getting your framing/set-up right (do this at home and not on the bank with a fish in the net lol), but the camera/lens is capable of decent results. You'll probs want to upgrade the lens to a prime lens at some point.

Glad its half decent wasn’t sure,done some decoration work couldn’t charge him being a friend. Would like a macro lens for it ..... make them fish look bigger  😉

For self-takes I’m still happy using a bulb release with my old Nikon D40 (35mm Lens)😬Tempting to upgrade but there always seems to be an unexpected bill round the corner. My session this week never happened due to me driving into some flood water in the middle of rural Shropshire. Result was a garage bill just shy of £600😳

• 2 weeks later...

I should of been going fishing tomorrow only my second trip to my new club water, I've been so busy at work with this bad weather it's messed all my plans up. So I was really looking forward to tomorrow everything sorted, some new pop ups and glugs to try out and guess what I've only gone and fallen down the stairs this morning top to bottom. blooming stupid dog only went  and left a toy on the stairs in the night and blooming stupid me slipped on it. I'm struggling to walk never mind fish, I'm absolutely gutted. 😭😭.

Looking on the bright side I'm hopefully doing my first over nighter next weekend Sunday till Monday, maybe till Tuesday if I'm lucky. 😁🤞

28 minutes ago, finchey said:

I should of been going fishing tomorrow only my second trip to my new club water, I've been so busy at work with this bad weather it's messed all my plans up. So I was really looking forward to tomorrow everything sorted, some new pop ups and glugs to try out and guess what I've only gone and fallen down the stairs this morning top to bottom. blooming stupid dog only went  and left a toy on the stairs in the night and blooming stupid me slipped on it. I'm struggling to walk never mind fish, I'm absolutely gutted. 😭😭.

Looking on the bright side I'm hopefully doing my first over nighter next weekend Sunday till Monday, maybe till Tuesday if I'm lucky. 😁🤞

Ouch I did similar holding my little one, I slipped on a toy, she was fine but I did my back in so I feel your pain, hope it's not too serious and you are milking it for all you can, 👍

7550FA9C-4CD1-479B-BBF5-664ACE395218.thumb.jpeg.a7a1313159ab347318820dfdc0e4492f.jpeg

couple kilo of pigeon conditioner cooked up, gonna start baiting up a spot on the canal where I can fish from the van. Can’t wait for all this rain to stop my river hasn’t been fishable since November/December time, it’s tidal so I’m hoping all the carp hasn’t been washed out to sea 😂

10 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Ouch I did similar holding my little one, I slipped on a toy, she was fine but I did my back in so I feel your pain, hope it's not too serious and you are milking it for all you can, 👍

Nothing to serious it's just  my hip really, don't really want any time of work, more bothered about my fishing than anything else. ☹

5 hours ago, harpz_31 said:

carp rods are taking a back seat this year and cracking out the river rods for a spot of barbel bashing on the trent and soar.

I love fishing the rivers, especially for barbel. They must be amongst the best fighting species on the retrieve. Mind you, a decent perch can give you a good scrap!

Ian.

• 9 months later...
On 19/12/2019 at 20:10, elmoputney said:

I doubt I am the only one that has already started planning for the year ahead? 

Next couple of Months head down trying to work hard and save up a bit of spare dosh, get new syndicate ticket and a few odds and sods 😏 then about march crack on for the year with a new challenge and a fresh start, this year has been a real steep learning curve for me, the highs and lows were good lessons to learn, I learnt I haven't got time for a real serious tough challenge and want to go fishing thinking I have a chance, I know I will mainly only be doing overnighters that seems the way for me, I want to go to catch fish not just one particular fish, so will be planning and baiting accordingly, working it out as I go, I am happy with my bait choice now you will be pleased to know so no more dicking about with that 😁

Targets 30lb +carp, and some nice shots and hopefully a good few for the photo album, but really I just want to enjoy it, to be able to relax and do it my way, take in the atmosphere, and be at peace with my surroundings ✌️😁

Lose some timber (mainly for happiness and mental wellbeing, not cos I feel Inadequate without a 6 pack ) 😁

Take the girls more, and try to maintain a healthy work/family/fishing balance 

Also I want to become more accurate at longer ranges, and also better at the other stuff and not worrying about rigs and bait I am pretty sure they work now it's more location, tactics, accuracy and opportunity, 

What are you guys planning for the new year? 

Well Big Bass, I'm glad you reminded me about this, 

I've failed on 2 counts😞

30lb+ fish, My biggest was 28lb 4oz so a new PB and one I had felt I earnt a bit and had a mega session to remember, so not to unhappy, I managed 13 fish from the main lake and had a 10 fish in 24 hour blinder on the runs water, lost a few this year, relaxed, enjoyed it, didn't **** about with bait and rigs too much, unless it was required, a run of hook pulls rung the changes a bit, but fished on my own terms, sort of kept a good fishing life balance, took the kids a bit, they enjoyed catching a rudd a chuck, 

The other thing I failed at was not losing any timber 🙄 in fact I reckon I've gained a couple of branches 😢

But I think that's probably been down to this strange year, lots of emotional eating and just trying to keep all the balls in the air, obviously losing my dad this year wasn't in the plans, and if I am honest I still don't really feel like I've had the time to completely come to terms with it, I sort of think one day when this year is done and we get back to normal I will process it, but I try and carry on pretending everything is fine, 

I think for me fishing has been a success this year,and been the glue that's held me together and I've probably had my best year to date, personally it's been a roller-coaster, so a yin yang thing but I'm definitely a lot stronger than I thought I was, which is nice and I pretty much did what I set out to do which was also nice 😊

Edited by elmoputney

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest I didn’t get a lot of fishing done this year. I had big plans but with everything going on and with everyone deciding to take up fishing, I didn’t get much done, everywhere has been rammed lol.

Been out in the boat and caught some mackerel. Lure fished for perch and had a lot of small ones.

I think I’ve had 3 carp this year, all under 10lb. Caught from a hard little water so not bothered about the size. 

So for 2021 the plan is

at the beginning of the year I’m gonna fish for pike and perch. Lures, dead baits etc

Tidal carp when it warms up. There’s some massive chunks in there, it’s just finding them. I’ve been fishing for them for years now and still haven’t managed one over 19lb. it’s like an itch that you can’t scratch, it’s annoyed me that much, I don’t get much joy carp fishing else where because all I’m thinking is I should be on the river trying for a big one lol

There’s a few big reservoirs I want to try for some big perch. One about 40 miles away holds them to 5lb with a good head of 3lb with plenty of them being over the 1 lb mark. It’s full of silvers so I think that’s why it has a good perch population lol so want to get down there for a day session 😃

On 22/12/2019 at 14:26, dayvid said:

Not sure where you are but their are plenty of double figure Smooth hounds down here on the South coast beaches < some are better than others.

If you didnt know already this is a very good Forum .

https://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/

If you want good hounds Aberthaw just up the coast from Barry island it’s where I’m originally from had many a great day down there you might catch a double figure bull Huss too 

My plans are first see IF the lake is open for fishing as we are going back in lockdown (Wales) if so start walking the lake at night as daytime shows don’t exist now while I’m at the lake walking the hounds etc get some new feeders and just keep at it as I have been just more concentrated on spots the regulars don’t fish with the bait boats an sounder see if my face fits this coming yr for the night syndicate I doubt it tho without knowing it I called the head bailiffs misses a nosy cow for poking her nose in where it wasn’t wanted   Ooopps my bad but people should leave people alone if they are just out there on their own fishing not causing trouble and holds a ticket for said water   Can’t cry over spilt milk done I’ll just keep chipping away at it 

My 3 goals for next year 30lb + carp and to catch more than 13 from the big lake, both are gonna happen 😜😂😁😍👍

And the big one got to lose weight and be healthier, I've been feeling a bit ill lately I have a phone chat with the docs today about my blood test results, I think that's a sign things need to change currently 21st need to be about 4st lighter I reckon, I'm getting old now and need to start looking after myself properly 😩

9 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

My 3 goals for next year 30lb + carp and to catch more than 13 from the big lake, both are gonna happen 😜😂😁😍👍

And the big one got to lose weight and be healthier, I've been feeling a bit ill lately I have a phone chat with the docs today about my blood test results, I think that's a sign things need to change currently 21st need to be about 4st lighter I reckon, I'm getting old now and need to start looking after myself properly 😩

Age don’t come on it’s own elmo positive mental attitude an you will succeed 

9 minutes ago, Highy said:

Mine, 

To catch a 20lb+, the resident Sturgeon in a lake I fish 30lb+,... Generally try to fish more. 

Some big goals there Elmo. 

Good luck

Need to aim big 😂 I decided I don't want to stay to stay on this lake forever, 1 more season is all I want to do, a 30 has always been the challenge, there is a few in there so by going through the numbers hopefully I can get one on the bank and catch plenty more on the way 😂😉