Bivvy Heaters

Carpbell_ll

On 23/11/2019 at 12:12, Carpbell_ll said:

After spending a little time looking into options for a heater in the bivvy i have come across a few fairly good options, i will start by dismissing candles as anything more than a more comfortable light than LEDs 

Making a small ammo box or paint can wood burner is popular for what canadians call hot tenting, it has to be well built using the correct sealants and chimney stack, A how to for making a stove without welding involved can be seen in the vid below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymdr-gAfZT0

There is also the gas option and it is also the safest with some common sense there are a number of different gas heaters for sale, the cheap ones you see in a lot of shops and one that is new to me called Mr heater buddy it is a lot more expensive than the 25 quid option from go outdoors coming in at a hefty £180 mark it also takes a larger gas bottle. I will link a few videos below that show carbon monoxide tests in tents and campervans i think you will be suprised by the results. they are using propane gas which is a cleaner burn than butane, I haven't seen any tests using butane and they also have a good quality carbon monoxide alarm/reader.

Carbon Monoxide Test using a Propane Heater in a Tent - 16 Hour Test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OdbOLtsH3I

Then there is the electric option which would be my preferred choice but the cost of a silent generator and some fisheries don't allow the use of a generator on site are its downsides. 

I’ve got a old biscuit tin and use a hexi block in it absolutely fine tin gets a bit hot but it’s fine

20 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Can you not turn Down the swear filter Nick? filtering **** is unnecessary as is stinky winky 🤬

Unfortunately the shortened form of Richard was being used as an insult, often with head, so it got added. 

I've just spent 5 nights on the bank, blanking, but despite some serious frosts didn't get cold. 

Daytime wear was combat trousers, boots, and a Regatta base layer on top half with a fleece, then a zip fleece top. If I got cold then I put my snood on, and overtrousers on. 

The sleeping bag is still the Morpheus Extreme 4, but with a sleeping bag cover. 

I didn't have to resort to the extreme of another jacket, or even my Army Norgie. 

Bruce who did 1 night was pretty similar although he was using his Norgie with a paratrooper smock jacket instead of the base layer

• 2 years later...

http://www.carpforum.co.uk/Shared/Messages.asp?TopicID=436401

Found this today on another Carp Forum today and thought I'd bump it up again. With day time temperatures peaking around 5 Celsius and the predicted Northern Blast/Beast From the East forecast for the coming week, it's going to get a lot colder. Don't be tempted, it's not worth the risk. Even some of the tea light style heaters that one big tackle manufacteur is peddling are dangerous. Wax is a hydrocarbon and when you burn it, it produces Carbon Dioxide and water and a percentage of Carbon Monoxide. If fact, the more yellow the flame, the higher percentage of CO is produced. It might be alright in a greenhouse but not in an occupied zipped up bivvy!

Normally I would remove external links, but not this one.

So many dangers with bivvy heaters.

My sleeping bag has changed, but my advice still holds true. Clothing to deal with the cold is better than using a heater.

Screenshot_20221204-084129_Facebook.jpg

3 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

Cheers for that Nick. Wouldn't normally promote external links but thought that this one was too important not to highlight.

Sadly every year it happens, that or a bivvy going up in flames.

I don't know how many times it needs stressing, but too often it happens, maybe this will make people think again.

Every angler who says "I never fall asleep with the heater on" is just ignoring the issue. The extra heat can cause you to fall asleep with the risk of death.

modern way of life means we don’t need these bivvy heaters when there are modern heated blankets or sleeping bags that run of a power pack.

We sit behind a grands worth of rods a grands worth of reels sitting on a grands worth of alarms and sit in a grands worth of tent with a grands worth of tablet..

such a waste 

Sad news especially in this day and age the guy himself must of thought he was safe and should of been, the outdoor industry in this country is with out regulation it's not this guys mistake it's the equipment sold I really hope his family can get legal help as the gas they sell is a real problem and they know it, put a worthless warning on the can shouldn't make it OK to sell.

Seriously if you must then find out a heater and gas that runs on propane I'm going by the gear they sell in the US you can get them but the difference between the two gases really needs to be on display in the shops.

BBQ’s can be deadly.. I recall a tragedy of a young family camping on a camp site they had finished eating in the evening and it started to rain the father brought in the bbq inside as it was new and most of the heat had gone they got a early night and sadly the mother and two kids didn’t wake  

Happened years ago but I’m still shocked recounting it. 

8 hours ago, Carpbell3 said:

Sad news especially in this day and age the guy himself must of thought he was safe and should of been, the outdoor industry in this country is with out regulation it's not this guys mistake it's the equipment sold I really hope his family can get legal help as the gas they sell is a real problem and they know it, put a worthless warning on the can shouldn't make it OK to sell.

Sorry but I disagree. There is no such thing as safe burning in an enclosed area. Not too sure what regulations you mean and don't think his family will be able to sue anyone.

I don't really like banning things because it smacks of the nanny state and it's pretty easy to build your own heater without too much trouble. I would like to think that any responsible manufacteur or tackle dealers would voluntarily not make or sell items that have the potential to cause death. 

3 minutes ago, Golden Paws said:

Sorry but I disagree. There is no such thing as safe burning in an enclosed area. Not too sure what regulations you mean and don't think his family will be able to sue anyone.

I don't really like banning things because it smacks of the nanny state and it's pretty easy to build your own heater without too much trouble. I would like to think that any responsible manufacteur or tackle dealers would voluntarily not make or sell items that have the potential to cause death. 

The gas they sell in the UK, the mix is not allowed in the USA think the max is 5 percent butane not sure if that's by regulation or demand those green coleman cans are the safest in the UK they fit the Mr Buddy heaters,  it's why caravans use the red bottle flow gas.

8 hours ago, Carpbell3 said:

the outdoor industry in this country is with out regulation it's not this guys mistake it's the equipment sold I really hope his family can get legal help as the gas they sell is a real problem and they know it, put a worthless warning on the can shouldn't make it OK to sell.

You say not this guys fault?  Of course it is - he didn't read up on it and in truth should have known better, very sad for the family but you cant blame anyone else.

9 hours ago, Carpbell3 said:

Seriously if you must then find out a heater and gas that runs on propane I'm going by the gear they sell in the US you can get them but the difference between the two gases really needs to be on display in the shops.

Sorry, I disagree.

EVERY year, common sense fails some and they pay the ultimate price.

A bivvy heater in the bivvy with the door closed is asking for trouble, no matter what gas. A fire in the bivvy, or carbon monoxide, and somebody gets severely injured or dies.

Carbon monoxide is caused when the fuel does not burn properly, whether it is gas, coal, wood or oil. 

Direct quote from the NHS:

Causes of carbon monoxide poisoning

Common household appliances used for heating and cooking can produce carbon monoxide if they are not installed properly, are faulty, or are poorly maintained.

Appliances that can cause carbon monoxide include:

• gas boilers
  • gas cookers and clay ovens
  • gas or paraffin heaters
  • wood, gas and coal fires
  • portable generators

Using barbeques or camping stoves inside, and turning on vehicle or lawn mower engines in your garage, can also cause a build-up of carbon monoxide.

1 hour ago, Carpbell3 said:

The gas they sell in the UK, the mix is not allowed in the USA

Most bottled gas is a mixture of Propane (C3H8) and Butane (C4H10). Butane is longer chain alkane and boils at a higher temperature and gives out more output due to the fact that there are more Carbon to Carbon bonds. It doesn't matter what percentage you add to a bottle as the end result is the same, you burn a hydrocarbon in air (the Oxygen part) and it produces Carbon Dioxide and water and a percentage of Carbon Monoxide which is dependent on how efficient the burn is. A bluer flame is best as it gives a more complete burn and hence lower Carbon Monoxide whereas a yellow flame gives a lower heat output and a higher concentration of Carbon Monoxide.

It probably wouldn't have mattered if the poor bloke had used a USA cylinder, the result would almost certainly have been the same.

On my last winter carp trip to Linear I done my usual lap of the lake with a spinning set up and to have a chat with my fellow sufferers 😏 , you get more info with a spinning rod in toe and Iv noticed that a lot of the lads are teenagers and most of the time common sense goes out the window in that age group. 

Every time one of the big tackle manufacturers puts up a winter video they should issue a warning about bivvy heaters it’ll take just 2mins some of the sponsored anglers have a a big following and coming from them they might take the info on board 🤞

A warning on gas bottles would help. 🤔

20 minutes ago, B B said:

On my last winter carp trip to Linear I done my usual lap of the lake with a spinning set up and to have a chat with my fellow sufferers 😏 , you get more info with a spinning rod in toe and Iv noticed that a lot of the lads are teenagers and most of the time common sense goes out the window in that age group. 

Every time one of the big tackle manufacturers puts up a winter video they should issue a warning about bivvy heaters it’ll take just 2mins some of the sponsored anglers have a a big following and coming from them they might take the info on board 🤞

It did not help that Darrell Peck actually put a video on his Facebook or Instagram feed using a bivvy heater. The post has since been removed.

18 minutes ago, B B said:

A warning on gas bottles would help

Most gas bottles are used for making a brew or cooking a dinner outside. Only a fairly small percentage end up being connected to a heater so I don't think it would make a big difference.

Unfortunately if there's money to be made, some tackle companies will chase one it. One lot are selling tea lights and a glorified upside down ceramic plant pot. I'm sure you could buy something similar from a hardware store for heating greenhouses and a lot less than the £35 they want to rustle you! (The Carp Tax is compulsory.) A large tackle store that sells direct is flogging them. They are partly responsible for the increase in their use and ultimately the deaths that they cause. Companies hate bad publicity and if people shunned them due to their money grabbing ways, they would think twice.

55 minutes ago, B B said:

If you get instructions on a kettle I’m sure there will be guidance on a gas bottle as it is an explosive gas 

I would imagine no one bothers to look though