Winter tactics

Teo

This winter I am going to be fishing low stock pits with large carp, some depths go down to 70ft and there are other shallow regions, should i fish shallow bays that are around 6ft, or should i head to deeper water where it is around 13 ft, or should i cast straight into the 70ft water (can carp go this deep??). Also should I take a mobile approach?/ and finnaly should i stick with the throwing stick/cattie to get boilies out or should I use a solid/mesh bagor both? ( I am not very good with a stick yet tho)

Deep waters tend to shut up shop in winter, they hold those cold temps and even the best conditions cant warm them up. Shallower waters have the chance to respond to higher winter temps.

Either way, I've spent many a winter on low stock pits. One fish a year is a mega result. Most years it's no fish.

If you have the balls then go for it but nowadays I tend to go for higher stocked waters in winter. Any fish is a result when the temps drop imo.

Good luck bud👍👍

What baits do people tend to use in winter...im thinking for myself...

(Mainline Pop Up) Fluro Almond Pink, spraid in Korda Almond Goo

(Sticky Pop Up) Fluro Pineapple Yellow, spraid in Sticky Pineapple.

(Sticky Pop Up) Fluro Manilla White, spraid in Sticky Manilla.

No freebies ??

48 minutes ago, Highy said:

No freebies ??

Be a rebel and put the korda goo onto the manilla pop up

23 hours ago, Highy said:

No freebies ??

20190915_155405.thumb.jpg.80baee4e6189690e2bd799a6fd7f442e.jpg

Winter Pop Ups boosting...

Just awaiting the Almond Spray...

On 8 September 2019 at 17:30, Teo said:

This winter I am going to be fishing low stock pits with large carp, some depths go down to 70ft and there are other shallow regions, should i fish shallow bays that are around 6ft, or should i head to deeper water where it is around 13 ft, or should i cast straight into the 70ft water (can carp go this deep??). Also should I take a mobile approach?/ and finnaly should i stick with the throwing stick/cattie to get boilies out or should I use a solid/mesh bagor both? ( I am not very good with a stick yet tho)

I hope your lake has good winter form!

In winter can get into a depth they find comfortable, or even an area that holds a few features like snags, weeds, natural food, maybe weed stems.

You might find the depth thing fun, if it is over the 70feet deep area. If for example, the area they like is 6ft deep you could be fishing 64ft high zig rigs...

I would seriously contemplate fishing easier waters with known form. It is very difficult trying to find winter carp on any water, especially larger lakes on your own.

In winter I tend to use exactly the same bait as I did in summer, especially if I have been prebaiting and fishing with it. 

Believe it or not, those hi-attract pop-ups catch me more fish on high stocked waters than they do on the harder waters I fish, despite me always fishing hi-attract baits on one rod every trip. The harder water fishes best to my normal food bait.

15 hours ago, Dannygooner said:

The question he asks about the depth is something I’ve wondered before also. Can carp lay on the bottom at them sort of depths? 

Can they or do they ?

I'm not sure there would be a reason for them to go to those sort of depths , I think its a bit of a myth that carp go to the deepest water in cold weather .

• 2 weeks later...