Beacon View Fishery Appley Bridge

Hi all, 

Just wondered if anyone has fished this place recently or could tell me more about it. I've just got back into fishing after an 8 year break and fancy going for something a bit bigger. How big do the carp go in here and are there still sturgeon in there? I heard a rumour years ago they were getting removed.

Thanks

Paul

4 hours ago, pablo7uk said:

Hi all, 

Just wondered if anyone has fished this place recently or could tell me more about it. I've just got back into fishing after an 8 year break and fancy going for something a bit bigger. How big do the carp go in here and are there still sturgeon in there? I heard a rumour years ago they were getting removed.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul...this is very weird as a have JUST been on the phone to a mate about here for next Sunday...

The sturgeon have been removed due to no licence (but there are 1 or 2 babys left in)...the place is a very deep long canal style lake...avaerge 6ft but 13ft in places...

Personally not my place as can only fish 1 bankside (i think).

Have you considered other places ?...What gear would you be using ? Carp or Coarse?

5 minutes ago, Highy said:

Hi Paul...this is very weird as a have JUST been on the phone to a mate about here for next Sunday...

The sturgeon have been removed due to no licence (but there are 1 or 2 babys left in)...the place is a very deep long canal style lake...avaerge 6ft but 13ft in places...

Personally not my place as can only fish 1 bankside (i think).

Have you considered other places ?...What gear would you be using ? Carp or Coarse?

2 rods 6 quid 👍same price for kids which I think is a rip off. 😠

2 minutes ago, finchey said:

2 rods 6 quid 👍same price for kids which I think is a rip off. 😠

I'm gonna stay to Fan Lodge...gona have a good 12hrs on there Sunday next week...then 6th September wife goes to Tenerife...so i be on EVERY day while kids at school too...load car..drop off at school ..fish till 2.30...same routine for 1 week.

Edited by Highy

Gutted about the sturgeon removal, it's something that always made me find the place interesting when I used to fish years ago. Is there anywhere else in the northwest with sturgeon?

I use ledgering bolt rigs on a rod pod, can't remember the model but I've got decent fox carp rods. 

My PB carp is 17.5lb and I'd love to get the fishing bug again by catching a few doubles or fishing a venue with a decent chance of a new PB. 

19 minutes ago, Highy said:

I'm gonna stay to Fan Lodge...gona have a good 12hrs on there Sunday next week...then 6th September wife goes to Tenerife...so i be on EVERY day while kids at school too...load car..drop off at school ..fish till 2.30...same routine for 1 week.

Sounds like a plan mate 👍 if Monday the 9th is my day off I'll probably be on there myself. 👍👍

3 minutes ago, pablo7uk said:

Gutted about the sturgeon removal, it's something that always made me find the place interesting when I used to fish years ago. Is there anywhere else in the northwest with sturgeon?

I use ledgering bolt rigs on a rod pod, can't remember the model but I've got decent fox carp rods. 

My PB carp is 17.5lb and I'd love to get the fishing bug again by catching a few doubles or fishing a venue with a decent chance of a new PB. 

Sturgeon - Fir Tree Fishery but members only syndicate lake unless you can get guested on...

Mere Lane Fishery - 1 sturgeon "Percy" around the 33lb mark, also good carp to 25lb...all doubles too but very pressured lake.

You need a licence to stock sturgeon now...but honestly...try Fan Lodge.

That's decent value from my experience, I'm from chorley. 

I just looked up fir tree and it says it's a match venue and one of the rules is no specimen carp fishing methods. Can't see any mention of sturgeon either, have I looked up the wrong place? Appley bridge down the road from beacon view?

44 minutes ago, pablo7uk said:

I just looked up fir tree and it says it's a match venue and one of the rules is no specimen carp fishing methods. Can't see any mention of sturgeon either, have I looked up the wrong place? Appley bridge down the road from beacon view?

Yep..Type it in google and look at photos..

40 minutes ago, pablo7uk said:

There is a specimen lake at firtree but like Highy said it's a syndicate lake, you pay a yearly fee plus a fee every time you want to fish it. I'm not sure what the fee price's are if you phone they will give you all the info. There are sturgeon in there. 👍

I'm also from chorley and I'm on the Wigan ticket great value for money 35 quid for the year the have plenty of water's to go at and a few of them around chorley. 👍 

2 hours ago, pablo7uk said:

Am I right in saying fan lodge is Wigan AA licence?

I also fish fan lodge it's a great little lake plenty of carp in there if that's what you want. If you fancy some sturgeon fishing have a look at some of the commercial fisheries. I do know there is one in Earlestown near Newton not sure of the name but if you're interested let me know and give me a few days and I can find out for you. 👍👍

On 18/08/2019 at 11:26, pablo7uk said:

Hi all, 

Thanks

Paul

turned upto lake about 5.30...gate locked....still waiting...gonna miss bite at this rate 🤬🤬🤬

20190825_054858.thumb.jpg.4e161f738b6e19104cd7c00e1d495f3a.jpg

will let you know how we get on..

53 minutes ago, pablo7uk said:

Post your catch results, tight lines! I remember arriving at 550am once years back but was lucky to be able to just walk straight on even if thought it said opens at 6am haha

Quite a few on today...mate has lost 2 at the net...other mate smashing the roach n bream...i was making a brew n missed a take...1 fella at side of me not fished for years...keeps saying "here pal is this right, what about this ??"...

34 minutes ago, Highy said:

So far 2 bream about 1.5lb each...

I presume there are a lot of fish on top today mate. Have you tried zigs mate, might be worth a try at different depths. 👍 👍 

I know there is no surface fishing allowed but if you can get that zig just under the surface you might pinch one or two. 👍👍

Edited by finchey

1 minute ago, finchey said:

I presume there are a lot of fish on top today mate. Have you tried zigs mate, might be worth a try at different depths. 👍 👍 

There are a few crusing but not interested on the surface...trued Bottom baits...wafters...corn...Zig...now back on bottom and that were the bites have come from.

2 minutes ago, pablo7uk said:

There's a peg on the far side about half way down just as the path starts to bend and there are two sticks sticking out of the water in the middle. That used to be a good spot on a hot days when I fished it years ago

Any features have been taken away...only the Margins and aerators now...it used to be a sunken island but ive been trying to find it most of the day in some empty pegs...so far 3 bream & 2 Carp....all on bottom baits (boilies)