What's wrong with my boilies

Teo

I am making mainline fifty fifty boilies and using maple ade and sweet ade, and boiling them sometimes for over 3 minutes and they come out with and odd, smooth consistency and they become really soft in the water, does anyone  know how to combat this??

Thanks

2 hours ago, Teo said:

I am making mainline fifty fifty boilies and using maple ade and sweet ade, and boiling them sometimes for over 3 minutes and they come out with and odd, smooth consistency and they become really soft in the water, does anyone  know how to combat this??

Thanks

Believe it or not, don't boil them for so long, but dry them for longer.

50/50 mixes are attractor baits, that do break down quickly anyway. You should not need to boil any mix for longer than 2 minutes maximum, better 1m 30s. Leave to dry overnight, preferably 12-24 hours.

• 4 weeks later...

Why the 50/50 basemix? Are you looking for a short term bait or something to stick with season after season? 

go to a large high street supermarket (Tesco and Sainsbury's both sell this stuff), look in the home baking isle and buy egg white powder, it's otherwise known as egg albumin - a good ingredient to add in order to harden up baits. I use it in my baits, it can reduce boiling time and produces a firmer bait with a tougher skin. They come in small sachets for about £1:50 for 6 sachets, then you can experiment with how many sachets needed per a 6egg mix to get the required result.  

On 02/09/2019 at 22:14, ouchthathurt said:

Why the 50/50 basemix? Are you looking for a short term bait or something to stick with season after season? 

go to a large high street supermarket (Tesco and Sainsbury's both sell this stuff), look in the home baking isle and buy egg white powder, it's otherwise known as egg albumin - a good ingredient to add in order to harden up baits. I use it in my baits, it can reduce boiling time and produces a firmer bait with a tougher skin. They come in small sachets for about £1:50 for 6 sachets, then you can experiment with how many sachets needed per a 6egg mix to get the required result.  

50/50 is cheap : 0

thats the only reason I am using it!!

• 2 weeks later...

Fair enough mate, 

I've been using premier aminos for 20yrs now, used to add robin red myself, now just order premier aminos RR base mix off the premier website. I've got complete and absolute confidence in it. It costs £55 per 15kg (£67 with VAT + postage) and will last you months if you only make bait once a week. Buying in bulk may be cheaper pal.