how many beeps?

Teo

Hi,

following my recent fishing session, i was fishing at about 40m range, and I kept on having my bobbin drop, causing my alarm to go (these were not small drop backs but violent ones, causing the alarm to beep quite a substantial amount) I kept on striking at this to find nothing on the end, should I wait or should I strike at first sign of a dropback or take, and if I strike and nothing is there should I leave it or recast to the same spot as I was fishing.

Thanks, 

Teo

What sort of bobbins are you using ? 

Are you fishing a tight line ? 

I tend to find small violent ones are line bites or nuisance fish or birds ,but I fish a semi slack line at that sort of distance and the bobbin would usually return to the same place with a liner

That said I was getting 1 beep takes the other night I knew were fish as the rod tip quivered and the bobbin was pulled tight, poor little 8lb bream couldn't be bothered to move the lead :)

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

What sort of bobbins are you using ? 

Are you fishing a tight line ? 

I tend to find small violent ones are line bites or nuisance fish or birds ,but I fish a semi slack line at that sort of distance and the bobbin would usually return to the same place with a liner

That said I was getting 1 beep takes the other night I knew were fish as the rod tip quivered and the bobbin was pulled tight, poor little 8lb bream couldn't be bothered to move the lead :)

I am fishing semi slack lines with gardner nano bug bobbins :)

16 minutes ago, Teo said:

I am fishing semi slack lines with gardner nano bug bobbins :)

They might be more violent line bites because the bobbins are designed to light and sensitive, I use cygnets that seem similar lightweight types and prefer the extra indication you get from them too much is better than not enough in my opinion 

If your bobbin moves and doesnt return to its original position this means your lead has moved and your rig could be fouled so always recast as Yonny said.

Even if the bobbin raises with a beep or 2 I'd recast as you could be sat behind ineffective rods for hours on end, I try and recast every 3 to 4 hours anyway because fish pick up your bait quite a few times before 1 gets hooked so I'm always paranoid its sitting funny, especially with bottom bait rigs.

I have had a similar problem where my bobbins were lifting to the top but when I hit it nothing was there so I switched to a pop up and it stopped happening.

11 hours ago, harpz_31 said:

If your bobbin moves and doesnt return to its original position this means your lead has moved and your rig could be fouled so always recast as Yonny said.

Even if the bobbin raises with a beep or 2 I'd recast as you could be sat behind ineffective rods for hours on end, I try and recast every 3 to 4 hours anyway because fish pick up your bait quite a few times before 1 gets hooked so I'm always paranoid its sitting funny, especially with bottom bait rigs.

I have had a similar problem where my bobbins were lifting to the top but when I hit it nothing was there so I switched to a pop up and it stopped happening.

Thanks, would i still need to recheck my rig if i used a boom section, or a stiff section so that it would be presented well.

That's not what I said dude! I said he should recast after striking.

In terms of recasting after liners you have to be careful. The way I do it is use the line clip. If the line pulls out of the clip during a liner it's enough (imo) to move the lead, and I'll recast. If the line stays in the clip I'll leave the rod out no matter how savage the liner is. I use big leads (4/5 oz) so can be reasonably confident that the lead aint moving until a fish is hooked.

Even if the bobbin raises with a beep or 2 I'd recast as you could be sat behind ineffective rods for hours on end

A beep or 2 wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I have fished waters where a recast on top of feeding fish is the kiss of death so I'll only recast if I'm convinced the lead has been moved (which in most cases means being done as opposed getting a liner).

1 hour ago, yonny said:

That's not what I said dude! I said he should recast after striking

I apologise, I didn't see the striking bit.

1 hour ago, yonny said:

(which in most cases means being done as opposed getting a liner).

I agree and I never recast liners but if the bobbin moves up without returning to its original position or drops down then odds are you've been done and the lead has moved.

After watching underwater footage of fish picking rigs up and leaving them in a way that they aren't effective and without a single indication at the rod end has left me paranoid.

as for the "kiss of death" on recasts over feeding fish then that's something you'd have to weigh up the pros and cons, The places ive fished it doesn't seem to bother them.

12 minutes ago, harpz_31 said:

if the bobbin moves up without returning to its original position or drops down then odds are you've been done and the lead has moved.

I think that depends on the substrate. On a clean deck with no weed between you and the spot I would agree, but I've not fished a spot like that in at least 10 years. Normally I'm dealing with heavy weed beds which can influence bobbin position i.e. line can get hung up or hooked round fronds of weed as the line moves with the fish causing the liners, even with very tight lines. As long as the line stays in the clip, I'm happy.

16 minutes ago, harpz_31 said:

After watching underwater footage of fish picking rigs up and leaving them in a way that they aren't effective and without a single indication at the rod end has left me paranoid.

Absolutely agree mate, it's a fact we're getting done a lot of the time, therefore we need to use resetting rigs - hinges, ronnies, that kind of thing - to avoid constant recasting.

If the lead has moved, usually, somehow a fish is responsible, be it a fish trailing line, line 'bite', or a rig ejection.

Undertow can move a lead, and cause constant action on the bobbins though. You may need to up the indicator weight to prevent this movement. Bobbins should NOT be chosen on fashion, but on actual fishing situation, and mega light bobbins are not suitable on every water, even every swim. 

On 29 July 2019 at 14:50, yonny said:

If you're not connecting then yes, wait; see if you can figure out what's doing it.

You need to recast, how else would you know you're presented?

On 29 July 2019 at 19:54, chillfactor said:

Sounds like a  trailing fish to me .

On 29 July 2019 at 20:43, harpz_31 said:

If you're unsure whether the bleeps are liners or pick-ups change your rigs over to something that will tell you if you've been done, such as a multi-rig or blow back with silicon down the hook shank.

Reel in after an occurrence you look at the hook end - if your been done you'll see straight away, if everything is normal it wasn't a pick-up, so a liner or trailer.

Just a thought 👍

• 1 month later...

Quick question, when experiencing these drop backs, where you striking immediately, or reeling down until you took up any slack before striking? If it was a take and the fish was moving towards you then immediately striking will just cause you to strike up the slack and not set the hook properly. I always reel down and "catch the lead up" before striking. If it's liners, then depending on severity, depends on whether I reposition it or not, if I feel the lead has in any way moved, I'll redo it. 

or else braid and a 8oz uptiding grip lead will sort them out... 

(Or maybe not try that one! Lol!)