Stalking or static?

oscsha

Is that not part of stalking though !!! Your on the move looking creeping moving quick when you see signs , why would you want to 'set up' in a swim with brolly etc thats not stalking , you don't always need short rods for stalking either .

Better stalking everything. More compact brollies. A chair u could fold then fold again. Telescopic Rods that are actually good. Being comfortable as a mobile angler is pretty hard 

• [/quote

55 minutes ago, oscsha said:

Is that not part of stalking though !!! Your on the move looking creeping moving quick when you see signs , why would you want to 'set up' in a swim with brolly etc thats not stalking , you don't always need short rods for stalking either .

Its clear you have don every little yourself, because even when stalking you have to sit and wait. Sometimes for several hours, the fish often move off, but can come back, it's like all fishing a waiting game. Stalking can mean "finding the fish" then you have to bait and wait. Do yourself a favour and try it sometime. You would find a small umbrella would come in handy, just like I've mentioned, you need to be more open minded sometimes? Stalking simply means (to me) that you find the fish before hand, but on dull or cloudy days, rough weather, it's not always possible.

1 minute ago, Dicky123 said:

Its clear you have don every little yourself, because even when stalking you have to sit and wait. Sometimes for several hours, the fish often move off, but can come back, it's like all fishing a waiting game. Stalking can mean "finding the fish" then you have to bait and wait. Do yourself a favour and try it sometime. You would find a small umbrella would come in handy, just like I've mentioned, you need to be more open minded sometimes? Stalking simply means (to me) that you find the fish before hand, but on dull or cloudy days, rough weather, it's not always possible.

HaHa  , try it I live it LOL . here you go one of many https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-45-PVC-Fishing-Umbrella/172964489570?hash=item28457ca962:g:hu4AAOSw4DJYiP00,

Stalking is different to locating the fish then setting up !

Angling means different things to different people, I don't think it's stupid wanting more lightweight things like a brolly for when it rains that is small and light that you can set up to stay dry that you don't need a quiver to carry or hold all day , and when you get older you don't want to be crawling on your knees all day or sitting on a damp Bank for a while you just want a little comfort, mainly because you want to enjoy your fishing not go home with a bad back,or aching knees or whatever. 

I just think you can't always be that hardcore if it stops your enjoyment in fishing, 

Each to there own I say 

1 hour ago, Dicky123 said:

Stalking is not setting up and waiting for fish to return after several hours 🙄🙄🤔🤔

Thats called prebaiting or setting a trap.......... stalking is finding a fish,be it feeding or not and attempting to catch it.......... or am I missing something here 🤔🤔🙄

7 hours ago, oscsha said:

Angling does indeed mean different things to different folks but you can't redefine the meanings to suit .

Where does it say you can't take a chair and be stalking? 

I think you also assume that these would be used all day when they might just be used for a quick downpour or stopping for a spot of lunch, you know maybe the stalker In question might still wade through 10ft of brambles most of the day in hardcore pursuit of the carp but may just take the opportunity for a sit down in his lightweight chair if he got the chance 

8 hours ago, snowmanstevo said:

Stalking is not setting up and waiting for fish to return after several hours 🙄🙄🤔🤔

Thats called prebaiting or setting a trap.......... stalking is finding a fish,be it feeding or not and attempting to catch it.......... or am I missing something here 🤔🤔🙄

So what do you do if you don't find any fish, go home?? Myself I fish on! It may be the fish come back in minutes, but it could be an hour or more? It's obvious you don't do much of it or you would know, sorry? 🙂 You're putting stalking in a little box defining it to how you think. It's a much bigger technique than that, and setting traps is all part of it, as it is for longer stay anglers too? And it's clear you really are missing something, but each to their own Steve? 😉😉

Fo myself I'd define it as mostly a one rod technique but you may have more with you. Spending a lot of time sitting and looking for fish, maybe more time sitting than fishing. But somethings you simply cannot find the [censored]s. Then you work your traps (mostly margin spots) You may be creeping around, or simply walking featureless margins, or even putting a few floaters in the lilies, or weed. (Please don't say that's floater fishing) It is, but that's all part of stalking, you may fish on the top, or bottom, what's the difference, none, you still finding fish. You set a few baited areas and fish them in rotation, or not, you may not be able to see any margins fish due to coloured water, then what would you do, go home? No, you fish the spots, ten minutes, an hour, it's all about how you feel. If i could sum it up in a few words I'd say is "generally seeking out fish with one rod, rather than waiting for them to come to you" but it has some many variation of that. It's not a small box technique, unless you don't do it. I don't do anything else now days as I just prefer the freedom it gives me, and I don't have three matching rods for my sins!🤪🤪

Elmo.  

Your spot on mate, I'm 67 and still creeping around. A little umbrella would be ideal for me, I hate getting wet or cold these days, but still fish a full three days a week on some very hard waters. Fortunately the technique does not limit me to any one swim, so when I arrive and the place is busy, I'm not bothered. Small rods are not essential, but help greatly in tight swims. See You-Tube video "Half a Wrap" and tell me you could do that with anything part from a 6'' rod. The umbrella idea was not only for summer, rain, sun, but winter chub fishing too. 

Sadly carp fishing is becoming too "pigeon hold" and many don't see past 3 rods cast to the horizon. Nothing wrong with camping carping, at times I've done it and enjoyed it with my mates in the 70s80s on the old Nene. But I always felt a bit disappointed if I didn't get the swim I felt was best. Years on I only do stalking now days, and I seem to catch a few fish, but like many my age don't talk much about it. I also like old pretty fish, even if they are under the size many think are not worth catching. For many years I didn't fish with floaters, no confidence, though I had to have special rods and reels. Now each trip I drift a few in, it's amazing how at times the fish are under a tree on the far margin, or in the lilies close to me. It's a great fish finding method, and I don't often use many. My stalking rods are ideal up to 60 yards for floater fishing. Only the other week I fished a lake and got the fish going, some nice lumps over 30lb too. The chap up from me was bottom fishing, so I walked up and suggested he come fish with me, we could take it in turns. He hardly moved out of his tent and said he was bottom fishing and didn't do floater fishing, honest, it's true. The saying goes, " You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink".

3 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Where does it say you can't take a chair and be stalking? 

I think you also assume that these would be used all day when they might just be used for a quick downpour or stopping for a spot of lunch, you know maybe the stalker In question might still wade through 10ft of brambles most of the day in hardcore pursuit of the carp but may just take the opportunity for a sit down in his lightweight chair if he got the chance 

Eh , Didn't say you can't  use a chair !!!

Stalking is roving looking , moving keeping your wits about you constantly .

Unfortunately stalking is not what Dicky seems to think it is .

You cannot redefine the meaning of stalking !! Just because   you believe what your doing is stalking doesn't mean you are see snowmansteves reply above which is spot on!

Use a brolly if you want BUT how can you move quickly if you've put a brolly in the ground , how can you watch the water while putting or taking down the brolly .

Stalking and moving swims are two totally different things .

8 minutes ago, oscsha said:

Eh , Didn't say you can't  use a chair !!!

Stalking is roving looking , moving keeping your wits about you constantly .

Unfortunately stalking is not what Dicky seems to think it is .

You cannot redefine the meaning of stalking !! Just because   you believe what your doing is stalking doesn't mean you are see snowmansteves reply above which is spot on!

Use a brolly if you want BUT how can you move quickly if you've put a brolly in the ground , how can you watch the water while putting or taking down the brolly .

Stalking and moving swims are two totally different things .

I don't think you have read one word of anything we have said? And how pompous is it to tell another person what they think is wrong, without any good argument. The last two sentences sum it all up, hence why it has to be a small brolly seconds to use it. You would only use it in conditions that dictate the use of one. I'm out, you simply cannot talk to someone so set in their ways unopened to others views. Answer your own question it takes a second or two to put and take down a SMALL umbrella that really is a silly statement, sorry again.

Forum are a discussion I've been wrong before , you enjoy your style of fishing then thats great but it is not stalking nothing pompous in that its just a fact :)

For you and others a small light weight brolly may be use full I've not said otherwise .

I will repeat you cannot redefine the meaning of stalking just to suit your self :)

2 hours ago, Dicky123 said:

So what do you do if you don't find any fish, go home?? Myself I fish on! It may be the fish come back in minutes, but it could be an hour or more? It's obvious you don't do much of it or you would know, sorry? 🙂 You're putting stalking in a little box defining it to how you think. It's a much bigger technique than that, and setting traps is all part of it, as it is for longer stay anglers too? And it's clear you really are missing something, but each to their own Steve? 😉😉

Fo myself I'd define it as mostly a one rod technique but you may have more with you. Spending a lot of time sitting and looking for fish, maybe more time sitting than fishing. But somethings you simply cannot find the [censored]s. Then you work your traps (mostly margin spots) You may be creeping around, or simply walking featureless margins, or even putting a few floaters in the lilies, or weed. (Please don't say that's floater fishing) It is, but that's all part of stalking, you may fish on the top, or bottom, what's the difference, none, you still finding fish. You set a few baited areas and fish them in rotation, or not, you may not be able to see any margins fish due to coloured water, then what would you do, go home? No, you fish the spots, ten minutes, an hour, it's all about how you feel. If i could sum it up in a few words I'd say is "generally seeking out fish with one rod, rather than waiting for them to come to you" but it has some many variation of that. It's not a small box technique, unless you don't do it. I don't do anything else now days as I just prefer the freedom it gives me, and I don't have three matching rods for my sins!🤪🤪

What you’ve said is called fishing......

stalking is finding fish and attempting to catch them

putting floating baits around lilies and weed and using them on the hook IS floater fishing 🤔🤔🤔

As you’ve quoted you can take a horse to water ...... you can’t make it drink 

Are you sure your not another ex member who use to fish the Nene in the 70,s and 80,s 😂😂🤔🤔🙄🙄

20 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

Personally.... if I say I've stalked a fish,  the first criteria has to be that you've spotted it & singled it out for capture. And actually see it take your bait. 

If you apply it to other hunting field's there is a difference between a stalker & a trapper 

Spot on  Stalking your prey or trapping your prey 

54 minutes ago, framey said:

Stalking... moving swims

Just call it fishing

Or angling? 

I think stalking is generally frowned upon in other circles anyway, 

A non angler would look a bit worried if you said I am a stalker and I am off to stalk my prey 

I think if you catch one from the margin, you should have to say

"I winkled one out from an overhanging BUSH" 

8 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Or angling? 

A non angler would look a bit worried if you said I am a stalker and I am off to stalk my prey 

In other circles that would probably sound wrong as well lol

21 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Or angling? 

I'm tempted to pull some of these posts away and set them up on a separate thread of their own, some 'misconceptions', some differences of opinion, but all are valid posts in their way, even if the final decision is different.

Yesterday I spent most of the day floater fishing with bread, but at the same time I was stalking the fish, drawing them away from an overhanging snag tree. I watched every fish take the bait, but I was static in one swim. If it had rained, I might have wished for an umbrella, or more likely been grateful for the cooling effect on a hot muggy day.

I also spent some of the time sat on a chair, other times I was sat on the bank holding the rod.

This is where my fishing kind of encompasses all scenario's mentioned, disagrees with some, agrees with others, yet in a way is right and wrong.

I caught, and actually lost count of the carp I caught from the swim, between 5-8lb a mix of commons and mirrors.

I've fished a few swims with two rods where I can watch the carp taking the bait after pinpointing patrol routes. I'm not sure they are stalked as that was static fishing, but I did watch the takes. I've also wandered around prebaiting, going back seeing if fish are present, then (hopefull) quietly put a bait to them with a gentle cast of the float, maybe the water had coloured, or I was sat back out of sight.

I've not seen the take, yet those fish were stalked.

I have also targetted specific fish with floating baits, which I guess is stalking as it was a particular fish I was after.

So where does a roving session angler fit Into this equation? 🤔

And what about an opportunistic angler? He simply seeks opportunity wherever it may be 

I think just do what you think will give you a chance on the day and call it carp fishing too many things in life need a pigeon hole these days,

also what if you cast 100+yards at a showing fish? Surely that's stalking as you've cast to the area you saw a fish?? 

24 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

So where does a roving session angler fit Into this equation? 🤔

And what about an opportunistic angler? He simply seeks opportunity wherever it may be 

I think just do what you think will give you a chance on the day and call it carp fishing too many things in life need a pigeon hole these days,

also what if you cast 100+yards at a showing fish? Surely that's stalking as you've cast to the area you saw a fish?? 

At the end of the day mate if you wanna sit in the bush and fish over a bed of bait, wait for one to come a long or cast at showing fish at 100 yards and call it stalking then awesome, that is stalking for you. What i classed as stalking is what stalking is for me 👍 

as long as we are all having fun and getting a buzz that’s all that really matters 👍👍

10 minutes ago, jh92 said:

At the end of the day mate if you wanna sit in the bush and fish over a bed of bait, wait for one to come a long or cast at showing fish at 100 yards and call it stalking then awesome, that is stalking for you. What i classed as stalking is what stalking is for me 👍 

as long as we are all having fun and getting a buzz that’s all that really matters 👍👍

That is kind my point tbh each lake is different, each angler is different, it seems silly to try and make classifications of what is or isn't stalking