June Catches

3 hours ago, smufter said:

Whilst I have every confidence in the Plan b Yonny, I just "fancied" trying something else mate. I am taking some VNF to France with me as an alternative to my main bait, and having received it the other day thought I'd give it a try at the Cottage as I'd run out of the ABS gear. 
Initial indications are promising... there was plenty of fizzing in my baited area, and i had a really savage take (which is unusual as our fish are normally a little more discrete than that lol!!) which saw me end up in the pads, where I subsequently lost the fish. First time that's happened to me at the Cottage that's for sure.

I'm ordering my bait for France within the next two weeks, (from ABS), and will be placing another order for my plan b to go in the freezer. But bear in mind that whilst my captures at the Cottage have all been on plan b, I have only had four fish out of there in over two years. It's not like I'm hauling them in. The inquisitive side of my nature is keen to find out how another bait might work. Just think..... if I'd have been on VNF all this time, I might have had five out!!!!!

😉😉😉

If you’d of been on MC Nut mixed with i bait you might of had more !!!!! 

Did 2 season on plan b at my local and it held its own alongside the cell. Changed over to the above 2 mentioned and found I knicked a few extra fish. The water is now dominated by Retro Baits but I still hold my own with my little balls of ABS magic 😬😎🎣

2 hours ago, smufter said:

Well, my matching VNF wafters and bait spray arrived today.... The bait spray has to be one of the most divine smells I've ever experienced. Those carps won't know what's hit 'em 🤭🤭🤭🤭

Go get them , Smufter .

Roll on Tuesday ! .

😁

5 minutes ago, crusian said:

Go get them , Smufter .

Roll on Tuesday ! .

😁

I'll be sitting right on my rods next week Geezer. No more pads for me....

Cos it was raining on Monday I was under my brolly and those couple of split seconds more it took me to get to my rods hampered me.

6 minutes ago, Lurkio said:

I'll be sitting right on my rods next week Geezer. No more pads for me....

Cos it was raining on Monday I was under my brolly and those couple of split seconds more it took me to get to my rods hampered me.

When I'm tight to snags I like to try to jump up , strike , and in the same action run backwards to hustle the fish out of the snags before it knows what's happening ; then when the fish is what I judge a safe way from the snags I will settle down to a conventional " pumping " action .

😃

15 hours ago, crusian said:

When I'm tight to snags I like to try to jump up , strike , and in the same action run backwards to hustle the fish out of the snags before it knows what's happening ; then when the fish is what I judge a safe way from the snags I will settle down to a conventional " pumping " action .

😃

I was fishing three rods. One well away from the pads with my baitrunner switched on, my middle rod was about 10ft to the right of the pads with the baitrunner on but set tight, and my left hand rod was tighter to the pads "locked up".

It was my middle rod that tore off, a really savage take as I say, and despite having the baitrunner set tight, there was only one place that fish was heading. 

I kicked myself afterwards. I'm normally sitting on my rods, ready for anything. Not making excuses, (honestly I'm not!!), but the swim I was in is pretty restrictive size wise, and there was only one place I could put my brolly without falling over everything! Not a problem when it's dry, but as I say because it was lashing it down at the time I was under it. I was only "delayed" by a second or so, but in this instance that was enough.

1 hour ago, yonny said:

Imo ultimate confidence in your bait is worth infinitely more than a couple of quid a kilo.

I never stray to a different bait because it's cheap.

I am still trying to find the bait I have total confidence in though, I thought back and actually I've only ever had one bait I knew would catch and that's sadly no longer with us,

one of the things I wanted was to not just have round bait so I've got some barrels too for something different, and actually I went for this one because I liked the sound of it and it does seem to catch fish, and looking at there site they give you a lot of details and seem to have a lot of knowledge 

24 minutes ago, yonny said:

What was it elmo?

The bait and Feed company particle42 , it seemed so different at the time and it just seemed to catch fish, I prebaited an overflow pipe in one lake for a couple of weeks in the end they were waiting for me to arrive they liked it that much, first day I fished there 5 carp to 26lb, and it just carried on working, 

Just now, yonny said:

That shows you how important confidence is. The B+F Company went under after they were caught cutting recipes with breadcrumb! Yet you still smashed it up🐳

I did hear a little about but I wasn't fishing when that happened,  but that was there own bait so I doubt they wanted to cut that, I couldn't have used them knowing they were ripping people off though so on to pastures new, 

11 hours ago, smufter said:

I was fishing three rods. One well away from the pads with my baitrunner switched on, my middle rod was about 10ft to the right of the pads with the baitrunner on but set tight, and my left hand rod was tighter to the pads "locked up".

It was my middle rod that tore off, a really savage take as I say, and despite having the baitrunner set tight, there was only one place that fish was heading. 

I kicked myself afterwards. I'm normally sitting on my rods, ready for anything. Not making excuses, (honestly I'm not!!), but the swim I was in is pretty restrictive size wise, and there was only one place I could put my brolly without falling over everything! Not a problem when it's dry, but as I say because it was lashing it down at the time I was under it. I was only "delayed" by a second or so, but in this instance that was enough.

I feel your frustration , Smufter , how many of us have suffered that " if only moment " ! .

😡

8 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I am still trying to find the bait I have total confidence in though, I thought back and actually I've only ever had one bait I knew would catch and that's sadly no longer with us,

one of the things I wanted was to not just have round bait so I've got some barrels too for something different, and actually I went for this one because I liked the sound of it and it does seem to catch fish, and looking at there site they give you a lot of details and seem to have a lot of knowledge 

How long exactly are you giving these baits so see "if they work"? 

24 minutes ago, emmcee said:

How long exactly are you giving these baits so see "if they work"? 

I know probably not long enough and I know I shouldn't keep switching but I felt I needed to change something, I kept thinking about all the newer baits around and would they be better and would this mean I struggled against them, so I just wanted to try one to see if things improved, 

I'll be honest I think it's been tough not catching a carp since I returned to fishing, I am fishing a tough lake but I don't think I'm angling too badly on the whole, but I guess the lack of captures does funny things to your confidence and this may be a by product of that, I will keep trying until I gain the Confidencw I used to have 

12 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I know probably not long enough and I know I shouldn't keep switching but I felt I needed to change something, I kept thinking about all the newer baits around and would they be better and would this mean I struggled against them, so I just wanted to try one to see if things improved, 

I'll be honest I think it's been tough not catching a carp since I returned to fishing, I am fishing a tough lake but I don't think I'm angling too badly on the whole, but I guess the lack of captures does funny things to your confidence and this may be a by product of that, I will keep trying until I gain the Confidencw I used to have 

These may well be harsh words and I may be totally wrong as I  don't know you at all,  But if you've tried several different baits and you've still not caught then chances are it's you. Out of the baits you've used there must have been one that is decent so it then lies with you. 

I've been there, the hardest words I heard that it was me but looking back it was the truth. I was fishing terribly. Once I realised that then I was back catching in  no time. 

No offense by the way. Good luck 

@elmoputney ,are fish coming out at all on the water if so do you know what type of bait i.e fishmeal , birdfood , cell etc that will at least give you something to work on .It may also be worth going to an easier water just to get some fish on your chosen bait as that is the only way you get confidence in a bait by catching on it .

When the goings hard it can be to easy to blame the bait , location is key maybe spend a day not fishing just walking the water looking chilling as you go .

When it all comes together you'll be one happy soul. 

32 minutes ago, emmcee said:

These may well be harsh words and I may be totally wrong as I  don't know you at all,  But if you've tried several different baits and you've still not caught then chances are it's you. Out of the baits you've used there must have been one that is decent so it then lies with you. 

I've been there, the hardest words I heard that it was me but looking back it was the truth. I was fishing terribly. Once I realised that then I was back catching in  no time. 

No offense by the way. Good luck 

No offence taken, don't get me wrong when I first got back I realised how rusty I was but it's all been coming back week on week, when I say I've caught nothing 3 bream and 2 tench :)

I still think there are things I can do a lot better, I think I've only used 1 bait I can say is a proper bait the rest I made and that was my mini spring campaign elsewhere, where I did days only and looking back fished like a noddy, 

21 minutes ago, oscsha said:

@elmoputney ,are fish coming out at all on the water if so do you know what type of bait i.e fishmeal , birdfood , cell etc that will at least give you something to work on .It may also be worth going to an easier water just to get some fish on your chosen bait as that is the only way you get confidence in a bait by catching on it .

When the goings hard it can be to easy to blame the bait , location is key maybe spend a day not fishing just walking the water looking chilling as you go .

When it all comes together you'll be one happy soul. 

It's an interesting one, are there fish coming out the answer not to my knowledge, but there may have been in my absence tbh, there aren't many people fishing it a couple of guys for the tench but not many others so I would've thought that my regular prebaiting wouldn't have gone unnoticed by the carp, 

I've spent quite a while just looking and walking tbh I've cleared some spots from weed etc, but it is a different lake to anything I've fished before and even though its shallow they can be a [censored] to find as there are tonnes of reeds and places to hide, it's just a case of working my way right round the lake and building a bigger picture of it now and trying to suss the fish out a little more and finding some places they will feed confidently 

I will have earnt it by the time I catch one I know that, but will keep trying 

13 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I've spent quite a while just looking and walking tbh I've cleared some spots from weed etc, but it is a different lake to anything I've fished before and even though its shallow they can be a [censored] to find as there are tonnes of reeds and places to hide, it's just a case of working my way right round the lake and building a bigger picture of it now and trying to suss the fish out a little more and finding some places they will feed confidently 

You're spot on with this approach mate, it's this you should be worrying about, not bait.

I agree with @oscsha, pick a decent fishmeal and stick with it.

Any proper lake takes time to suss out, and those waters you're fishing are defo what I consider to be proper. Take your time and enjoy it mate. In many ways the longer it takes to tune in, the bigger the buzz will be when you get there. As long as you're learning from any blanks it's all part of the journey.

For what it's worth; decent, proven fishmeals at a good price include:

Trent Baits Freshwater Shrimp

Baitworks Atlantic Heat

ABS Malarky

Premier Aminos/Matrix

All of these have been smashing up waters for years. All of them are 100% reliable. All of them are priced fairly.

7 hours ago, yonny said:

You're spot on with this approach mate, it's this you should be worrying about, not bait.

I agree with @oscsha, pick a decent fishmeal and stick with it.

Any proper lake takes time to suss out, and those waters you're fishing are defo what I consider to be proper. Take your time and enjoy it mate. In many ways the longer it takes to tune in, the bigger the buzz will be when you get there. As long as you're learning from any blanks it's all part of the journey.

For what it's worth; decent, proven fishmeals at a good price include:

Trent Baits Freshwater Shrimp

Baitworks Atlantic Heat

ABS Malarky

Premier Aminos/Matrix

All of these have been smashing up waters for years. All of them are 100% reliable. All of them are priced fairly.

I took my my little one for a little mooch around and a picnic today,she loved the massive puddles best, we also went to the fishing shop she now owns an eel shad, pulted some bait around an area rather than just the spots in the hope it gets them going and looking for it, waterlevels seemed up a bit so hopefully that will do some good, just got to try and get a night to angle now🙄

Took my boys, so fished out the back of the van on the 'runs' lake, what a lovely way to spend father's day morning. 

The 4 year old caught his first fish! He had 4 little perch on worm with the pole. He's more of a natural than his big bro, who had a few roach and a 6lb common to the faithful crust. 

Waiting for my mate to send me the pictures. He had a 9lber. Beautiful looking English wild carp. Great start to the season, although we got rained off a bit earlier than expected 

Screenshot_20190616-120400.png