Losing the buzz

Tree123

Been finding myself losing my buzz for carp fishing lately. I dont  know why  but I get on an overnighter  and  I'm ready to come home by  dusk.  Anyone had the same happens to them? 

Is it time to mix it up a bit and swap to a new lake   or species  or just hang the rods up for a couple of months.  

I Had the same over winter and in to spring mate, just seemed to be going through the motions and didn't get that same feeling as I used to. I've pinned it down to not really wanting to fish the water I was on anymore but stuck without a back up. 

I've finally got myself out the rut by doing a bit of floater fishing at close range, only for small single figure fish but just getting that excitement back that you can lose sitting behind alarms all the time. 

Get yourself some maggots and do a few pleasure sessions......... will kick start your enthusiasm and remind you why we go fishing in the first place. Even a change of venue can get the old grey matter working mate you may be stuck in a rut in your water atm mate 

3 hours ago, greekskii said:

I Had the same over winter and in to spring mate, just seemed to be going through the motions and didn't get that same feeling as I used to. I've pinned it down to not really wanting to fish the water I was on anymore but stuck without a back up. 

I've finally got myself out the rut by doing a bit of floater fishing at close range, only for small single figure fish but just getting that excitement back that you can lose sitting behind alarms all the time. 

3 hours ago, snowmanstevo said:

Get yourself some maggots and do a few pleasure sessions......... will kick start your enthusiasm and remind you why we go fishing in the first place. Even a change of venue can get the old grey matter working mate you may be stuck in a rut in your water atm mate 

1 hour ago, 760 said:

I go fluff chucking on streams and small rivers, stalking basically, when I fancy a change/mixing it up.

Glad I'm not the one that its happened to.  I have been on the club lake for about 4-5 years so maybe it time for change. I do want to go back to my big pit water which  I  gave my ticket up  on when I moved house so maybe that will be the plan for next season I'll just concentrate  on fun for the rest off the year.  Smaller fish or chubbing and then piking in winter and the "carping" a rest for a while"

Edited by Tree123

4 hours ago, Tree123 said:

Been finding myself losing my buzz for carp fishing lately. I dont  know why  but I get on an overnighter  and  I'm ready to come home by  dusk.  Anyone had the same happens to them? 

Is it time to mix it up a bit and swap to a new lake   or species  or just hang the rods up for a couple of months.  

I get the same feeling, although it usually happens to me when I can't fish my big fish water as I don't like many of my local waters.

I enjoy the challenge of trying to 'beat' the 100 odd carp in 60 acres, but I just enjoy being there as well.

My local waters, only one really floats my boat, maybe because I do the occasional bit of work on there and is an almost guaranteed catch pit, although I rarely do nights after fish only just going to mid doubles. Thinking about it, I could go for the challenge of a 300acre plus water with unknown stocks!

I do fish fish for other species at times, pike in winter from October (if it is cold enough, later in the year if not), roach,  bream and tench or even just plain silver fish from March to June, and definitely some chub fishing when the rivers are open.

I don't want to give up my Nazeing ticket, but circumstances this year may mean I do for a year at least as I simply can't afford it.

Ultimately, I personally found carp fishing has become stale, maybe down to the increased numbers of anglers and media coverage, so the other fishing mixes it up and keeps me excited.

5 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Ultimately, I personally found carp fishing has become stale, maybe down to the increased numbers of anglers and media coverage, so the other fishing mixes it up and keeps me excited.

Yeah  that's kinda what I'm starting to think, I just dont really like sitting in my brolly  waiting for screamer. The club water is the pit like that it now super busy  and  everyone chats twaddle  about what they have caught. I used to love that big pit  110-120 acres with maybe 12 blokes on it but once I brought my  house I just couldn't put the hours in. As I say above I'm gonna try  not do anymore serious  carp fishing this year (and just go to runs waters  where I can get them in the edge or off the top) and just fish for chub tench/ bream and pike. And see how I  go. 

Venue choice is everything mate, I went from lightly fished pits to a busy estate lake when I had my first child, met a few nice lads I now keep in touch with but on the whole it wasnt for me at all, I've spent a while on a park lake being the only one really fishing it which is kinda lonely but nice, it's the super tricky nature of it and with otters present I have packed it in on there. The river and intimate stalking and floater fishing for me until my next child is born this summer. I've managed to get my name down for a syndi local to me which has every box ticked, plus I know a few of the lads from a previous ticket too which always makes it nice. 

I was on the verge of packing up and joining most of my mates on the golf course in Spring. I've dug myself out the rut now and I've stopped buying golf kit and started buying fishing kit again!

29 minutes ago, greekskii said:

Venue choice is everything mate, I went from lightly fished pits to a busy estate lake when I had my first child, met a few nice lads I now keep in touch with but on the whole it wasnt for me at all, I've spent a while on a park lake being the only one really fishing it which is kinda lonely but nice, it's the super tricky nature of it and with otters present I have packed it in on there. The river and intimate stalking and floater fishing for me until my next child is born this summer. I've managed to get my name down for a syndi local to me which has every box ticked, plus I know a few of the lads from a previous ticket too which always makes it nice. 

I was on the verge of packing up and joining most of my mates on the golf course in Spring. I've dug myself out the rut now and I've stopped buying golf kit and started buying fishing kit again!

Yeah I do kinda  feel that if I sold my carp gear I wouldn't really  care not that I much to sell now. My alarms are the only thing that I sell. I'm not going to because i know what will happen but if i don't  miss it  in a  few months then I will probably move them on. I dont think I'd take up golf id properly  end up doing  climbing or something like that if I wasnt fishing 

21 minutes ago, Dannygooner said:

I’m the same tree. The whole carping scene was boring me no end. But I’ve refound my love for fishing by getting back on the rivers. One rod, one rucksack, hunting out all sorts of species taking in the surroundings. I always have a fulfilled feeling getting home from a day on the river whether I’ve caught or not. Sitting behind the alarms fishing for known and caught fish in a mud bowl can become tedious

Yeah that my plan for summer and autumn  get up really early and just go few a few hours sight fishing for  chubb.

I think in ideal  world I'd get back on the rivers and have a boat to do it in  but with a house to do  up and baby due in winter I just cant validate the money  to prebait or time now either 

Edited by Tree123

I can't really remember why I stopped last time but I guess it was something to do with girlfriend, work shift pattern changing and buying a house, I have come back refreshed and as excited as I've ever been after 10 years or so away, 

I've found a set of lakes I can work my way round and although none of them are easy I am enjoying the challenge, personally I never spent more than a couple of years on one lake, I can't see me doing more than 1 on the lake I am fishing tbh even though I hardly ever see anyone there are plenty more to try my hand on and they seem to get more challenging each time, 

Is there a certain target fish you want to catch? I just wonder if there is a reason you have been on there for 5 years, if so why not try to think of a different way to try and catch it to complete the challenge 

Anyway I think it's up to you what you do maybe a change is as good as a rest but a break has certainly made me appreciate my time on the Bank more 

2 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Is there a certain target fish you want to catch? I just wonder if there is a reason you have been on there for 5 years, if so why not try to think of a different way to try and catch it to complete the challenge 

Juat because it close to home and I go down there straight after work and be there within 10 mins or so 

6 minutes ago, Tree123 said:

Juat because it close to home and I go down there straight after work and be there within 10 mins or so 

I am also that lucky at the moment to be so close it is convenient but sounds like you might need a fresh challenge or a break hope you find what you are looking for as for the carp scene if it's getting boring try something different I really enjoyed a couple of stalking sessions the other week was nice to just have a mobile approach I didnt even wet a line one day but it was nice to be in pursuit 

8 hours ago, Tree123 said:

Had the same last year, from June onwards I started sea fishing and absolutely loved it.  Different surroundings,  different species, different everything.  Was a breath of fresh air. So yes change it up a bit. You won't fish to your full potential if that's how you feel and just be going through the motions 

I've certainly lost the urge , mainly due to otters eating all the local fish ! Just sounds like you need a change mate . I was a river man & didn't fish lakes for over a decade , but eventually I needed a change & had a urge to get back on to some lake fishing , which I've been doing since 2012 , fishing needs to be challenging,  like greeskii said once you start going through the motions it's time to move on .

19 hours ago, chillfactor said:

I've certainly lost the urge , mainly due to otters eating all the local fish ! Just sounds like you need a change mate . I was a river man & didn't fish lakes for over a decade , but eventually I needed a change & had a urge to get back on to some lake fishing , which I've been doing since 2012 , fishing needs to be challenging,  like greeskii said once you start going through the motions it's time to move on .

Yeah   I'll be moving on for sure looking forward  to a bit of sight chub stalking and piking when I can.  I think going less will also help  aside used to go once a week with fail 

Edited by Tree123

I fealt the same a couple of years back mainly due to stresses at home. As i found i didnt have much time to relax and fish properly i bought a stalking rod and started doing just a few hour early morning or late evening. I found i really enjoyed it and im still finding my feet with the method as ive always sat behind rods overnight. I have also found im working harder at watercraft and finding fish and my catch rate has gone up, and now i find im turning overnighters down when i have to do them, and if i do one i find im getting inpatient sat waiting 😨. Maybe give it a go i found it worked great for me.

Gaz

On 28/05/2019 at 07:59, Tree123 said:

Been finding myself losing my buzz for carp fishing lately.

Stop going mate. One of two things will happen:

1 - You don't miss it, in which case not going is a win.

2 - You miss it, ergo the bug is back. Win.

It's supposed to be fun, if you're not enjoying it just stop going buddy.

Are you bored with fishing or bored with going through the same routine on the same water sitting behind rods on alarms ?

There is far more to fishing than the above , maybe ask yourself what aspects you still enjoy . If is being out in the countryside then do you need to fish ?

I like being in the open by water , my favourite  way to catch carp is traveling light using a carp rod with centrepin reel and fishing sweetcorn on the float , yes you get roach , rudd ,bream tench  etc  but to me thats half the fun not knowing what has taken the bait until you strike ok some waters you can't fish like this but on the ones you can its certainly fun especially when the 'buzzer brigade ' keep sticking there heads out of there bivvies lol.

Location is also key I've swapped clubs this year and although some of the waters are nice there not run very well , so i'm going back to my old one further to travel but far more peaceful and as a general rule more respectful anglers .

As Yonny says take a break  , then maybe walk around some water just to see what your head/heart tells you.

4 hours ago, oscsha said:

Are you bored with fishing or bored with going through the same routine on the same water sitting behind rods on alarms ?

There is far more to fishing than the above , maybe ask yourself what aspects you still enjoy . If is being out in the countryside then do you need to fish ?

I like being in the open by water , my favourite  way to catch carp is traveling light using a carp rod with centrepin reel and fishing sweetcorn on the float , yes you get roach , rudd ,bream tench  etc  but to me thats half the fun not knowing what has taken the bait until you strike ok some waters you can't fish like this but on the ones you can its certainly fun especially when the 'buzzer brigade ' keep sticking there heads out of there bivvies lol.

Location is also key I've swapped clubs this year and although some of the waters are nice there not run very well , so i'm going back to my old one further to travel but far more peaceful and as a general rule more respectful anglers .

As Yonny says take a break  , then maybe walk around some water just to see what your head/heart tells you.

Bored of sitting behind alarms for sure.   Im going opening season night with my dad on  his  club water (my old big pit)  and then getting up  early and going sight fishing for  chub and  I'm quite looking forward to it. 

1 hour ago, yonny said:

Exactly 👍

Just walking a water should be exciting. Hell, I get a buzz just thinking about the lake lol. If that's not there then what's the point.

Same here  , if I'm by any water my wife says I know what your thinking as I just stare looking out across it or looking for any signs of fish .

a couple of years back I lost the urge.... I'd pretty much stopped match and Pike fishing and I really was having a hard time finding the motivation to fish for anything.... 

Probably a fallout from losing my Mum and having to sort her affairs and a bit of ill health were the main causes....

I found an interest in vintage tackle and for some reason it struck a chord with me... fishing as I did when I was a nipper. Now I dabble with one rod or pole and fish when I want how I want... I still have my carbon and baitrunners but I derive more pleasure using old gear these days.... perhaps approaching your fishing from a different angle may rekindle your enthusiasm....???