Coventry canal richoh

Any one still trying this canal or has it been savaged as you can guess what I mean, started prebaiting the thought of the unknown is exciting but thinking of the way this area is I guess it's like swanswell a dinner plate?, my dad says hes seen them eating bread but I've sat. In the exact same spot for hours on roasting hot days smoking never saw nothing it's quite sad, 

Edited by Joshr21

Josh, if the canal is fairly local to you I'd suggest that you persevere. I firmly believe that the inland waterways potentially hold good fish. A pal of mine lives full time on a narrowboat and tells me tales of huge fish. Sadly, he's not an angler. Damn fool!

Ian.

Plenty of fish in the canal running from the town centre there are known large carp, tench, pike and zander, no matter what you fish for on there it is always hard work nothing comes out easy or quick, you really have to get to know the place. best off fishing light for roach and perch that way you will get an idea on how and when the canal is fishing, it's very peggy too for a canal 

Some carp plus big gold fish and there offspring which look like small dark commons in the swanswell too if the local lads are fishing when i go through i stop for a natter, seen them myself coming out to the point i was tempted to pay a visit myself, i grew up around there though and know it can be a hassle i don't need.

Ignore any talk of they all got eat or the old one about the EA electrofishing to remove the carp to sell on, load of old wives tails put about by secret squirrels. 

Oh just remembered that's the only place i have had good sized dace from lovely fish and a rare sight for most these days,, very tricky venue though, no way have the large carp been caught and eaten. if you do fish light on the bottom go for good waggler gear and fish on the deck lift style bet you get smashed up by something that feels like a submarine has snagged you hook and just kept on trucking, lol.

Baits wise worm is good for bigger fish maggots are ok but the small and i mean small perch will be constantly deep hooking them selves, they don't like big hooks either the best you will get away with on a good day is a size 16 and that's if they are really having it. biggest carp i have had from there is less than 10lb but i have seen bigger.

3 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Plenty of fish in the canal running from the town centre there are known large carp, tench, pike and zander, no matter what you fish for on there it is always hard work nothing comes out easy or quick, you really have to get to know the place. best off fishing light for roach and perch that way you will get an idea on how and when the canal is fishing, it's very peggy too for a canal 

Some carp plus big gold fish and there offspring which look like small dark commons in the swanswell too if the local lads are fishing when i go through i stop for a natter, seen them myself coming out to the point i was tempted to pay a visit myself, i grew up around there though and know it can be a hassle i don't need.

Ignore any talk of they all got eat or the old one about the EA electrofishing to remove the carp to sell on, load of old wives tails put about by secret squirrels.                                                                                   As a brummy my first session on the Coventry cut I was 13 at a spot my girlfriend called the grey hound?, I remember fishing next to a barge fishing 2 dead rudd I hooked a zander it let go my dad's mate was convinced it was a pike 30 seconds later I had both a pike an my first zander as the years progressed I cut my teeth on park lakes then the grand Union small heath, I'm glad some one recons the big carp are still left I did speak to one chap back in January when I was doing a quick un eventful session he mentioned catching a 10 pound common at the grey hound that was good enough for me, as for swanswell I know it's not empty mate but it's such a shame it's over stocked, I used to fish it till gone dark in the summer last x1 back to Meriden,  after witnessing many hunters/poachers it kinda had to be said I mean one day I hooked this fish freelining over the fence, it cleared the water as it didn't know it was being fished for line hidden over a water melon, all the foreigners gave me a clap when I hooked it but there look there faces when I put it on the matt an held it up they were Confused. Screenshot_20190403_033331_com.instagram.android.thumb.jpg.056bbb9d6c249dbed822a31bed8bd836.jpg

Not the biggest but they are pretty in they're there's also a lot of ghosty commons, as for goldfish jesus had one well over a pound, back to the canal though bud, starting baiting last week with particle an 18 mms will introduce 15mms in the week just didn't want them getting eaten by bream, a dace is something rare for the canal I wouldn't mind one of them or ruff I did see this guy catch a 2 plus pound perch the otherday in fact him an his mate were bagging on single maggot,  cheers for the advice mate 

6 hours ago, Joshr21 said:

Not the biggest but they are pretty in they're there's also a lot of ghosty commons, as for goldfish jesus had one well over a pound, back to the canal though bud, starting baiting last week with particle an 18 mms will introduce 15mms in the week just didn't want them getting eaten by bream, a dace is something rare for the canal I wouldn't mind one of them or ruff I did see this guy catch a 2 plus pound perch the otherday in fact him an his mate were bagging on single maggot,  cheers for the advice mate 

That will be the Greyhound up at Hawkesbury junction i think, if you want to fish the city stretch of the canal matlock rd is a good place to start you can park there and get onto the canal turn right at the entrance and the first bend in the canal you come to is all reed covered on the towpath side always holds fish in the summer. then there is the Royal pub up in Bell Green, used to be good for carp along there when the factory was there but it is housing now so might of changed, there are good spots out in Brinklow too if you have transport.

22 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

That will be the Greyhound up at Hawkesbury junction i think, if you want to fish the city stretch of the canal matlock rd is a good place to start you can park there and get onto the canal turn right at the entrance and the first bend in the canal you come to is all reed covered on the towpath side always holds fish in the summer. then there is the Royal pub up in Bell Green, used to be good for carp along there when the factory was there but it is housing now so might of changed, there are good spots out in Brinklow too if you have transport.

I live next to tesco, near the richoh, I do like that spot if we're on about the same place grows full of reeds and has a circle bay there does look carpy, I'm going to stick my self in the middle at Longford been feeding the spot full of flu atm ill be out there in the night next week to try my luck 

• 2 years later...
55 minutes ago, Stuart collier said:

😎🎣 best spots for pike, 

All over full of jacks and some big ones 15-20lb easy and zander full of them, think it may be a little late for pike though they spawn anytime soon? there is a disused bit of canal near jct 3 of the m6 if you can find it and it's not too wild with overgrowth  that might have a few nice fish in, it may be silted up these days i haven't been there in a long time, never fished it.

7 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

All over full of jacks and some big ones 15-20lb easy and zander full of them, think it may be a little late for pike though they spawn anytime soon? there is a disused bit of canal near jct 3 of the m6 if you can find it and it's not too wild with overgrowth  that might have a few nice fish in, it may be silted up these days i haven't been there in a long time, never fished it.

Reckon pike spawning is about now on my lake. Not been really cold and now we are officially in meteorological spring pike and perch are the first.