Recommend some rods for me...

Anyone starting to warm up yet?

Having to piece together my carp gear again after t'other Anglin' Brother sold a bunch off whilst I've been out of country. 

At the moment I've still got 1 Shimano 10000XTE-A and will pick up a few more as I'm a huge fan of the balance on these. The rods I currently have are a Fox Trekker 7pc which has been my travel for the last 10 years give or take. I also have another Shimano but I honestly can't remember the model on it. These two rods will stay as a summer stalker and a marker/spod for the time being. 

So, I need a 3 rod set up. As SWMBO is keeping the purse strings tight as we move back I'm looking to buy used, probably in a budget of around 150-200. 

At the moment I've narrowed down by requirements to:
50mm butt ring/12ft/3.25tc

This basically means I'm looking at the following rods in this kind of range; what would you recommend?
-Shimano Tribal Velocity
-Daiwa Powermesh
-Avid Traction

I'm not sure what else I like the look of in this used bracket price range - so what else would you recommend I add to the list to keep an eye out for?

Cheers all
Jim

2 hours ago, The Anglin' Brothers said:

Good to know about the Shimano's - I'm trying to stay pretty light at the moment. To be honest I'd rather get something slightly better used that buy new. Whatever I get I want it to last until near destruction; however long that might be. 

Cheers bud. 

Mmmm...... the "better" names out there are names like FreeSpirit, Harrisons and Century. You are going to be hard pushed to find a trio of rods from one of these manufacturers second hand with your budget.

Personally, I'd be looking at Sonik....

Dominator X 3.25tc. Erics Angling..... £224,97 delivered. 

http://www.ericsangling.co.uk/index.php/sonik-dominator-x-carp-rods.html

They will last you years. Believe me.

Edited by smufter

I've got Sonik XTR's, 3.25 TC, 50 mm butt rings. A mate busted one, haven't been bothered to get a replacement yet, supposedly lifetime guarantee. But great action, I've cast small pva bags to around 80 yds comfortably. 

I also brought them from Eric's @the big one 5 years ago. Spent a grand, new shimy 10000 bait runners, bivvy, fox alarms (Got ATT'S now, look much tidier) & few other bits. They do better deals on the Sunday because they don't want to take gear back with them I guess.

Highy has quite a bit of Sonik gear, so he'll tell you what the other gear is like. 

Oh yeah, stick on a 4oz lead, I use pva mesh with 5 freebies, get that range quite comfortably, if you had big pits  you'd get a bit further. 

I remember going to Pads Yately for my 40th,with new said gear, 1st time out. 4 acres so about 90 yds to other side, I let rip on the 1st cast, straight over lake, bank & the 8ft boundary fence, oops!!!

😂 😂 😂 

I’ve had the sonik xtr3 rods and managed to snap 2 on the spigot in the space of 18 months. Did replace the first one but lost confidence after that. Strangely they’re the only rods I’ve snapped in 25 years and both snapped at the spigot.

Now using free spirit ctx and love them. Anyone looking for a 3lb tc cork handled sonik I’ve got a spare!😂

12 hours ago, The Anglin' Brothers said:

Any other info on the older Sonik gear? Can pick up some good deals on some of it but tough to find the much info on there.

Im Sonik all over...

Purchased..3 x Sonik Vader x reels £100...Soniks sks Alarms £100...3 x Sonik SK3 3.25tc rods £60..1 needed new..£10

Alla in all 3 rod setup £260

On 02/02/2019 at 07:36, commonly said:

not been to one of these for many a year, what sort of discounts do they really give?