Luncheon meat alternative

Salfordcarl

I've not used that brand but most have caught hundreds of barbel on various makes of Luncheon Meat over the years. After a while they do wise up to the 'pink cube' and I caught most of mine by cutting into 6 fingers and then smearing with Tandoori paste with some extra garlic granules added for that extra kick, That also changes the colour, making it darker and less conspicuous. Cook in a frying pan on a low heat whilst turning on each side. Allow to cool and then add to a freezer bag and freeze and the flavour really 'sucks in' to the meat. Alternatively, you can cut the meat up and add a powdered flavour (any curry powder) to a polythene bag and allow it to take on the flavour.

I've caught some very good barbel and chub on plain meat using a quarter of a tin. You feel pretty stupid casting it out and for the first time you begin to doubt it will work but trust me, it does.

Rather than using a boilie stop, I use a piece of grass stalk about an inch long to hold it if using a hair rig as it does go soft, especially in the summer. Most of the time I buried the hook in the bait as I was touch ledgering. If convential Carp Fishing, I would use a running lead, especially if using really large pieces as they do need a bit of time to pick up the bait and gulp it down, almost similar to pike fishing and letting the fish take line and striking a few seconds later.

2 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

I've not used that brand but most have caught hundreds of barbel on various makes of Luncheon Meat over the years. After a while they do wise up to the 'pink cube' and I caught most of mine by cutting into 6 fingers and then smearing with Tandoori paste with some extra garlic granules added for that extra kick, That also changes the colour, making it darker and less conspicuous. Cook in a frying pan on a low heat whilst turning on each side. Allow to cool and then add to a freezer bag and freeze and the flavour really 'sucks in' to the meat. Alternatively, you can cut the meat up and add a powdered flavour (any curry powder) to a polythene bag and allow it to take on the flavour.

I've caught some very good barbel and chub on plain meat using a quarter of a tin. You feel pretty stupid casting it out and for the first time you begin to doubt it will work but trust me, it does.

Rather than using a boilie stop, I use a piece of grass stalk about an inch long to hold it if using a hair rig as it does go soft, especially in the summer. Most of the time I buried the hook in the bait as I was touch ledgering. If convential Carp Fishing, I would use a running lead, especially if using really large pieces as they do need a bit of time to pick up the bait and gulp it down, almost similar to pike fishing and letting the fish take line and striking a few seconds later.

Yes, the point I was making was this particular meat is fish based not the normal pork. High in salmon roe I think I read?