2 or 3 rods

Tree123

How many rods to you use 2 or 3?

Can't choose  wether I should drop down to 2.

Pro for swapping  to down to 2 

Weight so can easily  move and make sure my rigs are on the fish. 

Money: il be saving  at least  few 100 quid  when i factor in buying  in braid  ticket price and  rod liensce.  Plus im due to replace  my reels  soon Let alone the extra bait and hooks  to fish another spot. 

Distrubance: less rods less line etc  etc 

Pros of 3 rods 

Extra rig could be an extra chance  for fish.  Or rod to try something diffenet on 

I nornally fish one of 3 places 

Small river 

Only about 2-3 rod lenght wide and  fish simple and due to club lakes I can only fish 2 rods.

Easier lake 

Deep pit  mostly  just margin fishing  I dont feel that the 3rd rod has brought  me any extra fish 

Weedy small lake 

10acrre  or so very weedy  lake with loads of pads,snag and features.

I dont often fish here  but will do more next season..

Edited by Tree123

I see this asked a lot.

It's a no-brainer. As long as you can fish 3 rods effectively in a given swim, you should use 3. It's not an extra chance imo - it's an extra fish, or more, if used correctly when on the fish.

I carry 3, if a swim is too small to use 3 effectively I'll use 2. Sometime I'll use just one in a diddy little corner under a bush. But the fact of the matter is if I can fish 3 effectively I will do - it catches more fish. Simple fact buddy!

16 minutes ago, yonny said:

I see this asked a lot.

It's a no-brainer. As long as you can fish 3 rods effectively in a given swim, you should use 3. It's not an extra chance imo - it's an extra fish, or more, if used correctly when on the fish.

I carry 3, if a swim is too small to use 3 effectively I'll use 2. Sometime I'll use just one in a diddy little corner under a bush. But the fact of the matter is if I can fish 3 effectively I will do - it catches more fish. Simple fact buddy!

Yeah makes sense plus with a sleeve system it so easy to swap bewteen carrying  two and three 

Me too, 2 Rod rule makes me consider the possibilities a bit more. I do believe too many lines in the water can make the fish wary or turn them off. 

Quite comfortable & happy with 2. If I was fishing a big pit or reservoir I may go to 3.

I've never had 2 go at the same time, although I've got 2nets, it'd be impossible to deal with 3 or 4?? 

I usually use 3 rods, dependant on rules obviously.

Even on a 2 rod water I have a 3rd rod set up ready. It means I can reel one in, attach a fresh PVA bag to the dry spare rod and cast at showing fish, or to the feature and then sort out the reeled in rod at my leisure.

A bulk spool of line is usually about right for 3 reels if they are loaded correctly with backing if needed. As for hooks and  materials etc, I buy a spool, buy packets, so have plenty of rigs made up. The licence cost is down to you, but for the cost of it, its worth it.

15 hours ago, Tree123 said:

Thanks  for advise in the end in juat gonna stick with the 2 next year and see how I go  and see if I think it makes much difference to catch rate I dont think it will and most of the time I'll be on water where i think two is enough anyway

Rather than just trying to work out how it has affected your catch rate have a think about if it has affected your enjoyment of being there.

I have fished with four rods many, many times, but enjoy it just as much if only using one.

To me fishing isn't a competition, it's all about enjoyment.