Basic Bait Making, step by step

I felt that it was time for a new Stickied basic bait making thread so here it is, although it covers a couple of posts due to picture size.

Even though I have most of my bait made for me, I still like to experiment at times, tweaking purchased boilie base mixes, or making baits for specific waters.

There are a few simple rules to follow, with a couple of exceptions; add liquids to your eggs, and powders to your base mix.

The mix I have made is as follows:

100grams Liver powder

100grams Robin Red

200grams Semolina

100grams Ground Rice

200grams Full Fat Soya Flour

200grams Maize Meal

100grams Calcium Caseinate

While it is not the greatest perfect balanced mix, it does work and can be played with. This makes a kilo of base mix, I use these ratios simply for ease

First break 4 eggs into a bucket or bowl. Add any flavours, liquid attractors, or essential oils to the eggs and beat well. I also add ground eggshell, Betaine or Green Lipped Mussel powder to the eggs. In this case I have added 2ml RH Megaspice and 1ml of Garlic Oil.

To the beaten eggs gradually add your base mix, either your own or a bought proprietary mix, stir and mix with a fork until it becomes stiff, then work it in by hand. I then mix it in until I can make fist size balls, slightly too soft to roll.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Once I have made the balls, I take the softest, and add a little more base mix and work it in before rolling into sausages. While you can use a bait gun, I prefer a table as I found with homemade baits, the glossy finish rolls better on the Rolaball, and some gunned baits can float.

From the sausages, I then put them onto the Rolaball,  roll into balls, and then drop them into some base mix to stop them sticking together while boiling.

I boil these baits for 1minute 30seconds, before tipping them onto a tea towel to dry. Once dry they can be bagged and frozen, or totally air dried.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg