Silly Rules

Guest Dez Animaux

Hear, hear. 

I don't like all the politics of it. I want to turn up, fish, small talk with the sensible lads, then go home. 

My estate ticket, basically EA rules on membership form, not once have I been told you can't do this or you have to do that! It really is a different atmosphere and a1/4 of the cost. 

Prebaiting is strictly banned on most decent venues, for a very good reason..

It's counterproductive.

The only time it has a place is on vast, virgin waters with a large head of fish, it is as simple as that.

It is one of the most overrated faux pas in the history of carp angling. You do NOT create your own hotspot, the carp decide those, NOT you..

25 minutes ago, Dean O'Baggio said:

It's counterproductive.

The only time it has a place is on vast, virgin waters with a large head of fish, it is as simple as that.

It is one of the most overrated faux pas in the history of carp angling. You do NOT create your own hotspot, the carp decide those, NOT you..

I disagree-I might not like it and its not practical for me travelling long distances but I’ve seen at first hand the impact of a sustained baiting programme a specific swim can have. All the way back to fishing Redesmere when the ‘Meadow’ would be ‘hemped’ for weeks on end to the ‘full timers’ on the southern gravel pits.

Edited by Pete Springate's Guns

1 hour ago, Dean O'Baggio said:

It's counterproductive.

My Earith syndicate had no rules banning prebaiting, so I did it, basically putting bait across the whole of the lake before I started fishing as a member, (joined, but 2 weeks prebaiting, learning and marker float it), and putting in my left over bait at the end of a session. 

2 hours ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

Your bailiff story has touched on one of my pet hates-people who bait/pre bait a swim and tell you all about it, like it gives them some kind of right to fish it and everyone else should leave it alone! If I’ve paid upwards of £500 for a ticket and travelled 3 hours to get there, no swim is off limits!

If somebody fished one of my prebaited swims, good luck to them, I hope they caught. If I turned up and they were where I wanted to be, oh well, my tough luck, I'll have to go elsewhere. I did in fact tell people what swims, even what bait I was using, although I did hold back my slight tweaks😮😉

Somebody else could use Trigga, but I found my home rolled version produced a bit better, I had increased the attraction while keeping the long term food bait working.

In terms of getting to the lake, I often arrived around midnight after work and set up in the dark for a two night session. I had to know 'my' spots, the marker float work to produce a map was invaluable.

7 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

My Earith syndicate had no rules banning prebaiting, so I did it, basically putting bait across the whole of the lake before I started fishing as a member, (joined, but 2 weeks prebaiting, learning and marker float it), and putting in my left over bait at the end of a session. 

If somebody fished one of my prebaited swims, good luck to them, I hope they caught. If I turned up and they were where I wanted to be, oh well, my tough luck, I'll have to go elsewhere. I did in fact tell people what swims, even what bait I was using, although I did hold back my slight tweaks😮😉

Somebody else could use Trigga, but I found my home rolled version produced a bit better, I had increased the attraction while keeping the long term food bait working.

In terms of getting to the lake, I often arrived around midnight after work and set up in the dark for a two night session. I had to know 'my' spots, the marker float work to produce a map was invaluable.

And who knows how much better things might have gone if you'de been on a decent (helicopter) setup! 😉

2 hours ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

Your bailiff story has touched on one of my pet hates-people who bait/pre bait a swim and tell you all about it, like it gives them some kind of right to fish it and everyone else should leave it alone! If I’ve paid upwards of £500 for a ticket and travelled 3 hours to get there, no swim is off limits!

I usually pre-bait a few swims that are opposite each other so if ones taken when i get there I can go the other side and 3/4 of the time the fish will follow the bait

1 hour ago, Dean O'Baggio said:

It's counterproductive.

Couldn't disagree more.

2 minutes ago, Dean O'Baggio said:

And who knows how much better things might have gone if you'de been on a decent (helicopter) setup! 😉

Four blanks in two years, and two of those were when the lake froze on me, one was when I was having a 'mare and lost fish, and helicopter set-ups were banned, by the rules😉

Pendant or Inline leads only

7 hours ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

Your bailiff story has touched on one of my pet hates-people who bait/pre bait a swim and tell you all about it,

I'm with you there...….. I just say "I'd rather not know mate"...….. Turn up, find fish, fish for them.. I may steer clear of a swim (If poss')if someone has been quietly plodding, putting the effort in and started nicking a few fish. But telling someone you've pre-baited a swim can put an angler in a bad frame of mind before they've even started..... Can give them an unnecessary moral dilemma...

8 hours ago, commonly said:

My syndic was great the last 2 years, everyone got on, now 2 of the complex bailiffs are on this lake,  there is a definite divide, bitchyness. I don't get involved, but one of the bailiffs is a bit of a plonker to me & I recently found out that I tend to fish his favoured swim & found the spot he's been baiting.

SO, I find it a bit playground, which considering I'm hardly ever there, is a bit off putting. 

Time to move on maybe imo….. If that sort of malarkey is going on.... Let them get on with it.... Lifes too short to feel like that in your precious spare time...…. Shame they've spoiled it a bit for you...…. Atmosphere is key for me, need good vibes when I blank...

On 20/10/2018 at 20:05, B.C. said:

I'm with you there...….. I just say "I'd rather not know mate"...….. Turn up, find fish, fish for them.. I may steer clear of a swim (If poss')if someone has been quietly plodding, putting the effort in and started nicking a few fish. But telling someone you've pre-baited a swim can put an angler in a bad frame of mind before they've even started..... Can give them an unnecessary moral dilemma...

unpopular opinion but it wouldnt cause me any moral dilemma. 

if someone told me they were prebaiting a spot and the swim was empty when i turned up, providing i couldn't find any other obvious signs of fish elsewhere, i'd be straight in that swim. 

If you don't want people using your hard work to their advantage, keep it quiet, don't shout about it.

On 20/10/2018 at 20:05, B.C. said:

telling someone you've pre-baited a swim can put an angler in a bad frame of mind before they've even started..... Can give them an unnecessary moral dilemma...

If someone tells me where they're baiting (on a pressured water) I always tell them straight that I'll fish that swim if I see feeding carp there. Don't get me wrong, I'll not jump on their spot for no reason, I'd rather fish elsewhere, but I WILL fish for whatever I can see. Hence if I see them in that swim, I'll be after them.

It's not fair to give guys that moral dilemma so I think the fairest and most honest way to deal with it is tell them you couldn't care less who's baiting where.

On an un-pressured water it'd be a different story. I'd like to think I'd have been baiting myself. And no-one would know where, believe me!!!!

Personally for me it all depends on the group, I fished one lake where we helped each other out and left swims well alone if others were baiting, to the extent that if we were there with fishing boshing over their spot we would ring each other telling them to get themselves down to the lake. We all respected each other and had a good friendship. Haven't encountered that since anywhere though, keep myself to myself and try not to tell people much, a lot of prying eyes nowadays. Fell victim to it on the estate lake where etiquette was almost non-existent apart from a few good eggs.

• 2 weeks later...

I think although some rules seem silly or irritating, if I trully want to fish that water, I have to accept and respect the rules. As for somebody pre baiting, good luck to them but, that doesn’t give anybody rights in that swim, and when I arrive on a water, I just evaluate the current situation, and choose my swim and fish it with a clear conscience.

I was in a club a few years ago, and one of the rules stated: “Strictly no bait boats or rowing boats, to be used on this venue but, if using a boat, a life jacket must be worn”??? 😂

58 minutes ago, The Compleat Angler said:

I think although some rules seem silly or irritating, if I trully want to fish that water, I have to accept and respect the rules. As for somebody pre baiting, good luck to them but, that doesn’t give anybody rights in that swim, and when I arrive on a water, I just evaluate the current situation, and choose my swim and fish it with a clear conscience.

I was in a club a few years ago, and one of the rules stated: “Strictly no bait boats or rowing boats, to be used on this venue but, if using a boat, a life jacket must be worn”??? 😂

Would that no boats rule cover placing baits by boat, whereas you could go out to unsnag a fish in a boat?

A local club had the rule of absolutely 'no livebaits', until the pike anglers carefully pointed out maggots and worms are live baits...

21 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:
1 hour ago, The Compleat Angler said:

😂

Would that no boats rule cover placing baits by boat, whereas you could go out to unsnag a fish in a boat?

My complex, you can go out to retrieve fish or lost tackle, but it must be 2 in the boat with life jackets & someone one on the bank. In a perfect world I can understand, but in reality how are you going to get 2 other anglers to wind in & assist?? A lot of the time there's not even that many people there. 

If I had to, I'd just wade out to the fish. Max depth is 8ft

11 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

There were no boats on the venue Nick, not even locked in a boathouse etc. It was always amusing to read though, bit like those signs that say “Ears pierced while you wait!” 😂😉

• 2 months later...

Couldn't find the topic on shelf life, so this thread seemed just as relevant. Although I do appreciate low quality shelf life boilies can cause breakdown issues, 

Recently trawling Internet for stag venues & noticed the majority of public access venues have now banned them. 

As I've seen here, certain high impact shelfies are more effective on short sessions. 

Could this spell the end of them?? 

Personally I can't stand all the the restrictions & am fortunate enough to have a venue with only EA rules, which are not really monitored. 

Nuts, fake plastic baits, shelfies, no surface fishing, bait boats, etc. etc. it seems that alot of these products come to market, everyone buys them & then most venues ban them??? 

Whilst I appreciate fish safety is paramount, a bad angler should be shown the way by the bailiff or fellow anglers. Or told in no uncertain terms that they should take up a different hobby!! 

I have no problem with rules... What annoys me is when folks blatantly flout them... Or ... They are not policed... Too many times I see a bailiff wander round take the money and disappear into his/her hut and not check rigs etc... If you are gonna have a boardfull of rules, at least have the decency to ensure they are adhered to.. This would at least give them validity and deter future rule breaking as word gets around....

2 hours ago, commonly said:

Whilst I appreciate fish safety is paramount, a bad angler should be shown the way by the bailiff or fellow anglers. Or told in no uncertain terms that they should take up a different hobby!! 

Totally agree.

No one is born knowing everything and I think it's a very poor show when experienced anglers wont pass on tips to new comers to the sport.

The amount of times I asked other anglers questions when I was new to carp fishing and was ignored or even lied to in an attempt to dissuade me from fishing at certain venues is shameful, now I answer any question asked to some one new to fishing even if its (apart from areas I've been prebaiting) what bait or tactics I'm using.