Silly Rules

Guest Dez Animaux

2 hours ago, Dez Animaux said:

Fortunately for me they get banned on my venue, probably after one warning

Join a syndicate as well mate, best investment I ever made in my fishing life

that was on a syndicate :(

I don't want to see people get banned, just made to look a tool will do :D

41 minutes ago, Dez Animaux said:

Looks pants and a waste of money, you'd have to use tonnes of it as nets are huge, and just begging for somebody to be half hearted with it and leave big areas of mesh untreated, owner should just stop being tight and shell out for his own landing gear for the punters on that lake

Quite a lot of money though hey, 50 plus mats, 100 odd nets, 50 odd slings.

All would need replacing after being left out for a year (pricey).

At least the guy takes it seriously and is trying hey 👍

5 minutes ago, Dez Animaux said:

Massive venue eh?

Either that or too many swims!? Also why would people need two nets each? If it's a runs water use two rods max! I can't think of anything worse than catching small carp all night long! Sorry not with you mate, must be the size of Lake Bolsena to have that many swims!?

And he's got the wrong idea anyway just get a net dip..

3 lakes. Not many swims. I don’t fish it but I know it  

I always carry two nets. Just in case I get a miracle double take or take just as I land a fish. Sometimes it can happen on the hardest of venues. 

6 minutes ago, Dez Animaux said:

Massive venue eh?

Either that or too many swims!? Also why would people need two nets each? If it's a runs water use two rods max! I can't think of anything worse than catching small carp all night long! Sorry not with you mate, must be the size of Lake Bolsena to have that many swims!?

And he's got the wrong idea anyway just get a net dip..

I'll pass on your thoughts

Thanks 👍

17 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

No particle - why? because numpties turn up with un-soaked and boiled particles - chuck them in and the fish are either ill or die, look at Benson at Bluebell, unprepared tigers I believe, swelling in the stomach.  Also why some say you can only use the particles in jars - its been done correctly so the owner has peace of mind.

No artificial/plastic baits - why?  because if snapped of/cut offf or whatever that's a permanently baited rig sitting pretty on the bottom waiting to be picked up time and time again, whereas boilies or other non plastic baits will come off the hair after a couple of days or so, therefore no longer being picked up.

No homemade baits - why? well what have they got in?  has it been tested for a good period of time?  people use all sorts of stinky winky to save money and the products may not even be safe for consumption.

ALL good rules those - very sensible 

I see your point mate it's just annoying because it ruins it for the rest of us. 

As for the plastic baits, what about stuff like foam, zig bugs, cork, are these bad to use as well? 

2 hours ago, jh92 said:

I see your point mate it's just annoying because it ruins it for the rest of us. 

As for the plastic baits, what about stuff like foam, zig bugs, cork, are these bad to use as well? 

I love plastic baits, zig bugs the lot, but our syndicate banned plastics for the reasons I've said.

The reasoning is sound so I just have to accept it.

My fish safety thing is to use 18 or 20lb line that way you very rarely get snapped or cut off, but owners decide the rules.

You can get sweet corn shaped boilies for use as toppers so that s the alternative and I have to admit that's better.  However I've just been abroad and used plastic toppers on every rod, they are banging! 👍

19 hours ago, harpz_31 said:

last year I dropped into a swim with fish showing in front of it, but when I started setting up a guy in the peg opposite shouted over that he was fishing the swim but from the other side.

I told him tough and if he saw fish showing in another swim and wanted to fish for them he should have moved if he wanted exclusivity

he didn't like that and messaged the lake owner to complain and was promptly told to reel in and fish within the boundaries of his own swim and stop being a twit.

I don't mind people fishing outside of their swims, in fact I do it a lot but if someone drops in the swim your cast to then you reel in (I even go and tell them where ive been putting bait)

unfortunately like people in everyday life anglers can be turds as well

This has happened to me quite a few times, it really gets on my nerves. 

Silly rules...….. These are usually applied on waters that let anybody fish, syndicate or not..... Some syndies are no better than day ticket venues for the sort of behaviour that carries on, lack of etiquette …….. Other syndies will vet you thoroughly before placing you on a waiting list that could take a few seasons before you are offered a ticket, possibly a Winter ticket to start with.... IMO these are worth the wait, usually few silly rules. You don't need many rules if you only let the right sort of anglers on...… This will sound snobby and a bit elitest, but it's the way it is. By going through this process, you know that any members or future members would have been through the same process. So all members are of a similar mindset and should, in theory, all get on with each other. The management will be making sure that the fish are fished for safely and protected when caught, the surroundings, bank side and wildlife are respected. And just as important , that other members are respected and allowed to fish in peace...….. One bad apple can rot everything that has, with a lot of time and effort, been created...….. One bad apple can lead to a lot of stupid rules being enforced on everyone else , long after they get kicked off...

Part of the problem in fishing today is the media, or part tackle manufacturers advocating dangerous practices, unsafe fishing and too many modern anglers being sheep, following the setup recommended.

Not enough anglers think for themselves.

Rules are put in place for 'numpties', to cover the idiot factor, to keep owners or even other anglers happy, (often in the case of match vs carp anglers).

If an owner thinks barbless hooks are better for fish then that is what they think, follow the rules.

In most cases I think rules are in place for a very good reason. No leaders, no leadcore, no plastics, or minimum 15lb line, there is some reasoning behind them all. What winds me up is anglers who don't think rules apply to them.

If you have a genuine gripe with a rule, as long as you can put your point across to the owner or bailiff why then he may consider it and go with your reasoning, ir give you a vaild 'no'.

Edited by salokcinnodrog
Typo

17 minutes ago, Dez Animaux said:

''No bad angling''

Amen to that...….

17 minutes ago, Dez Animaux said:

Such is life, all about balance and education

Some people can't be educated, fact of life mate..... I've only got so much patience for certain types on the bank..... My fishing time is very limited and selfish as it may sound, it's "me" time...….. Trying to communicate with or put up with someone of a different mind set, takes up too much of my energy, so I tend to look for a different venue instead...….. I used to think it was a generation thing, but I've met plenty of younger anglers with a decent attitude.... Some companies have encouraged a certain type onto the banks, not my cuppa..

Guest Dez Animaux
1 minute ago, B.C. said:

Some companies have encouraged a certain type onto the banks, not my cuppa..

I wouldn't go that far, marketing has power but not THAT much

Angling has always been an ''introductory'' sport, i.e Dad to Son, friend to friend, peer to peer

No Korda video has ever made an angler, nobody is that sad to look up ''carp fishing'' on youtube without having prior interest in it for a start

55 minutes ago, Dez Animaux said:

I wouldn't go that far, marketing has power but not THAT much

Angling has always been an ''introductory'' sport, i.e Dad to Son, friend to friend, peer to peer

No Korda video has ever made an angler, nobody is that sad to look up ''carp fishing'' on youtube without having prior interest in it for a start

I hear you...…., probably worded it wrong...….. I just think that some forms of marketing can bring a different attitude out of an individual...….. I mean, if I watch an ESP vid with Terry Hearn , or a recent vid with Martin Bowler in, or Oz Holness recent vid..... They encapsulate the real "feel" of angling...….. Compare that to someone resembling a crack head, fishing illegally in a city with a rod called a "shot gun", then there is a real difference imo…… I can remember, as a kid, watching tv ads, all about , the "Country code", it was a time when a lot of overspill were moving from the cities to new housing developments in the countryside, all over England. These people needed educating on how to behave and respect the country side and wild life. IMO the same can be said of quite a few anglers these days...……. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of decent folk on the banks. But for me, certain ads, promo's, attract certain people to angling...….. I can tell you now, if me or my mates messed around on the bank or made a bit of noise as kids, we would get told in no uncertain terms to pack it in, by an adult angler, and we would take notice and behave. Times change, and some youngsters/young adults have little or no respect for much these days, apart from their own interests..... Not all of them, as I said before, I have met some decent young anglers..

2 hours ago, B.C. said:

Amen to that...….

Some people can't be educated, fact of life mate..... I've only got so much patience for certain types on the bank..... My fishing time is very limited and selfish as it may sound, it's "me" time...….. Trying to communicate with or put up with someone of a different mind set, takes up too much of my energy, so I tend to look for a different venue instead...….. I used to think it was a generation thing, but I've met plenty of younger anglers with a decent attitude.... Some companies have encouraged a certain type onto the banks, not my cuppa..

Some tackle companies have most definitely encouraged bad practice, and it is that much!

Nash lakes rules, must drop the lead, Korda advocating drop the lead on their lead clip.

Magazines are as bad, an article advocating doing it, and the sheep, the 'lack thinking' follow it.

It carries on, leadcore rigs that are essentially death traps, leaders that can't eject rig or lead in event of a break-off. I got into a big argument with a magazine over it, and that magazine editor did not want me to publish his reply. It lead to being slagged off in print in the magazine; apparently despite me sending experiment results, I did not get out and fish and was an armchair keyboard warrior, I got a heavy slagging off via Jim Shelley, and was blocked from his FB page (no great loss).

Facebook media pics encourages people into fishing, much more now than dad's taking their children, two parent families are a minority...

Respect for other anglers is a minority. Jump next door and spod it in, no quietly put baits in so as to cause little disturbance to fish or others around you. Drunken social carp angling is a big current fashion, compared to years ago the social match followed by drink in pub...

Yes, there are decent youngsters around, but not many. Yes years ago, my mates and I would fish. If we messed around it was only our fishing we messed up, you didn't annoy anyone else, cos we didn't like the ticking off!

One person's 'silly rule' is another person's 'answer to a problem'. We may not like or agree with that answer, but it will usually have been implemented after some thought and/or discussion.

I think most seasoned anglers would be shocked at how many seemingly safe rigs haven't worked how it is perceived they would in the event of a line breakage (for whatever reason). Having bailiffed waters for many years, and having removed hundreds of rigs from various types of snags and rescued tethered fish I do know the truth.

Interviewing potential members can help avoid the need for lots of rules but you might just be amazed by the amount of really nice, decent people, that talk the talk but don't quite live up to your expectations.

Please trust me that everyone's opinion on the need for rules changes when the fish/fishery belongs to them.

1 hour ago, AndyCh said:

Interviewing potential members can help avoid the need for lots of rules but you might just be amazed by the amount of really nice, decent people, that talk the talk but don't quite live up to your expectations.

Yes. I should imagine it's a tough call to make...… I find it hard to "vouch" for a lot of people, even friends sometimes. Been made to look a fool once or twice on that one.

I’ve been fortunate enough to join a number of syndicates over the years. Some well known, high profile that simply required adding my name to a list and waiting my turn, others required purchasing a ‘winter ticket’ before being considered for full membership whilst another required a recommendation and interview. They all had different rules but more importantly, a unique ‘culture’. Whilst the ‘rules’ on each were/are largely adhered to it is the accepted ‘norms’ on each syndicate which I believe have more influence. I’m not saying one was better than another but the difference in atmosphere between waters is quite striking when ostensibly the ‘rules’ are the same; even on the same complex! 

On 19/10/2018 at 08:05, kevtaylor said:

I love plastic baits, zig bugs the lot, but our syndicate banned plastics for the reasons I've said.

The reasoning is sound so I just have to accept it.

My fish safety thing is to use 18 or 20lb line that way you very rarely get snapped or cut off, but owners decide the rules.

You can get sweet corn shaped boilies for use as toppers so that s the alternative and I have to admit that's better.  However I've just been abroad and used plastic toppers on every rod, they are banging! 👍

Thanks mate ill look into the boilie/corn toppers, it'll be a good alternative for the lake plastics are banned on. 

I've been using plastic toppers on a different lake recently and found its working in my favor lol. Funnily enough as I was reading your post yesterday I had horrible drop back and missed a fish which was on a bait with a topper 😂

1 hour ago, Dean O'Baggio said:

Yes indeed, every lake has different quirks, rythms, characters..

Not least amongst the carp!

My syndic was great the last 2 years, everyone got on, now 2 of the complex bailiffs are on this lake,  there is a definite divide, bitchyness. I don't get involved, but one of the bailiffs is a bit of a plonker to me & I recently found out that I tend to fish his favoured swim & found the spot he's been baiting.

SO, I find it a bit playground, which considering I'm hardly ever there, is a bit off putting. 

15 minutes ago, commonly said:

My syndic was great the last 2 years, everyone got on, now 2 of the complex bailiffs are on this lake,  there is a definite divide, bitchyness. I don't get involved, but one of the bailiffs is a bit of a plonker to me & I recently found out that I tend to fish his favoured swim & found the spot he's been baiting.

SO, I find it a bit playground, which considering I'm hardly ever there, is a bit off putting. 

Your bailiff story has touched on one of my pet hates-people who bait/pre bait a swim and tell you all about it, like it gives them some kind of right to fish it and everyone else should leave it alone! If I’ve paid upwards of £500 for a ticket and travelled 3 hours to get there, no swim is off limits!

Edited by Pete Springate's Guns