Silly Rules

Guest Dez Animaux

Guest Dez Animaux

Some rules are born of being patronising, such as tubing only

It suggests that people won't tie safe leaders

A correctly tied helicopter rig is the safest rig there is, period, because if the line breaks the fish is left with ONLY the hooklink and not trailing loads of line as well as the hooklink

Yes there are a few inline safety kits that claim to do the same, but they are also based on leaders, NOT tubing

If I could I would only use helicopter rigs, everywhere, they are the only rig that is also adjustable to fish over any type of lakebed, weed, silt, debris etc.

Guest Dez Animaux
15 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

Most rules are set because the few spoil things for the rest - simple as that

Depends on the venue but most of them are sensible with a few like you say that were obviously made in anger at muppets

Rules can also tell you a lot about a place; such as:

''no casting across lake into other's swims'' = ''avoid this noddy venue at all costs''

Edited by Dez Animaux

Barbless hooks, no boats, no drones, net dip, fish from swim only (no stalking?) all the commy rules, if the bailiff sees something wrong he should right that wrong or tell 'em to leave. As above, noddys affect peoples perspectives & certain rules apply to every aspect of life, but come on! 

This one is amusing, won't name the venue. 36hr fishing! You have to hand your rods to baillif for 12hrs, then you can fish again but only 36 on & 12 off??? 

1 hour ago, Dez Animaux said:

Depends on the venue but most of them are sensible with a few like you say that were obviously made in anger at muppets

Rules can also tell you a lot about a place; such as:

''no casting across lake into other's swims'' = ''avoid this noddy venue at all costs''

That happens on more venues than it doesnt lol

Don't get me started 🤣

Guest Dez Animaux
11 minutes ago, dayvid said:

Silly rules are dependant on the angler ,some more experienced angler may find some rules silly where as a relative novice may see them as helpful.

Yes if they are an open minded novice who is destined to be a lifelong and decent angler, I agree.

In another way if the bailiff is active and decent they will learn a lot from those unsung heroes, because people learn from their mistakes and most good bailiffs will put people right rather than scorn them (unless they really are being a complete and utter berk) lol

3 hours ago, commonly said:

net dip

Don’t agree with this. It’s not a silly rule for no reason it’s to protect the business, club, etc. From potential devastating disease. It isn’t 100% effective. Not even 50% if done wrong but it’s better than 0%. 

You have idiots that don’t care at all. Point in case, Broadlands has had KHV confirmed, yes it’ll be laying dormant in these temps but it’s still transferable. There is anglers fishing it, not just for carp I may add. The pike anglers will be hitting it soon too. They are endangering every other fishery they come in to contact with as weather at the minute you won’t get 48hrs of sunshine to dry off kit thoroughly. You can’t control the anglers so forcing them to dip on the way in (if you do fish somewhere you have to then PLEASE dip on your way out too to stop you carrying anything out of there!) is the only control. 

7 hours ago, greekskii said:

Don’t agree with this. It’s not a silly rule for no reason it’s to protect the business, club, etc. From potential devastating disease. It isn’t 100% effective. Not even 50% if done wrong but it’s better than 0%. 

You have idiots that don’t care at all. Point in case, Broadlands has had KHV confirmed, yes it’ll be laying dormant in these temps but it’s still transferable. There is anglers fishing it, not just for carp I may add. The pike anglers will be hitting it soon too. They are endangering every other fishery they come in to contact with as weather at the minute you won’t get 48hrs of sunshine to dry off kit thoroughly. You can’t control the anglers so forcing them to dip on the way in (if you do fish somewhere you have to then PLEASE dip on your way out too to stop you carrying anything out of there!) is the only control. 

you won’t get 48hrs of sunshine to dry off kit thoroughly. 

Air dried is the way that seems to be the most accepted form of control in the circles I know & with a stiff breeze it won't take too long to dry your kit or if stored correctly it would dry at home /garage/shed. 

Any decent angler will & should do their bit. I have several nets, for different waters. 

Linear fisheries? Arguably the best & busiest day ticket waters in the country. No dips.  Not sure of their disease policy.

Imo, if I had to dip my net, sling & matt, or go elsewhere then I'm off. 

Rules are put in place to keep landowners, lake owners, clubs and fish safe and happy, so as such there are no silly rules.

You may not agree with them, but they should be followed, although there is one on a well known tackle manufacturers lake that I find is a form of pollution, and is also a practice that must be stopped: 'all leads must be dropped on the take'.

As such I will never fish that manufacturers lakes, I find the rule abhorrent, a disgusting practice.

No plastics, brilliant rule.

i must admit, the dipping of the nets, slings and mats can annoy me when the dips aren't at the lake itself. take a few weeks ago as an example, turned up at a lake, recently imposed a dip rule(which i was not aware off), where you buy ticket is where the dip is located...a 5min drive to the lake...which meant i had to fully unload the car to grab my net out of the holdall, then place a soaking net and sling back in the car for the drive to the lake.

Its just more of an annoyance, i agree with the reasons behind it but least have it at the actual lake!

1 hour ago, commonly said:

you won’t get 48hrs of sunshine to dry off kit thoroughly. 

Air dried is the way that seems to be the most accepted form of control in the circles I know & with a stiff breeze it won't take too long to dry your kit or if stored correctly it would dry at home /garage/shed. 

Any decent angler will & should do their bit. I have several nets, for different waters. 

Linear fisheries? Arguably the best & busiest day ticket waters in the country. No dips.  Not sure of their disease policy.

Imo, if I had to dip my net, sling & matt, or go elsewhere then I'm off. 

It’s the UV that kills the diseases. Not being dry. Most can lay dormant in dry/slightly damp conditions for a week or more. 

Places with no dips, or their own equipment, are a ticking time bomb IMO. You can’t trust every angler to do the right thing. 

Dips are annoying, and most aren’t maintained properly. But not a silly rule. 

11 hours ago, greekskii said:

if a day ticket fishing complex wants to truly protect themselves from the spread of disease they should provide nets mats and slings.

having a net dip rule just makes anglers think they're ok not to dry their nets out properly because the dip will sort it which just isn't the case

Guest Dez Animaux
2 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Rules are put in place to keep landowners, lake owners, clubs and fish safe and happy, so as such there are no silly rules.

You may not agree with them, but they should be followed, although there is one on a well known tackle manufacturers lake that I find is a form of pollution, and is also a practice that must be stopped: 'all leads must be dropped on the take'.

As such I will never fish that manufacturers lakes, I find the rule abhorrent, a disgusting practice.

No plastics, brilliant rule.

Disagree that there are ''no silly rules'', some are definitely ''dated'' and behind the times, you find this on clubs a lot with slightly, shall we say ''wizened'' committees (who are match-men and not carpers).. i.e landing nets far too small for big fish, no rig rules, no rig checks, no bait rules, no bait checks etc. etc. etc. Some supposedly ''classy'' carp venues have no bait limits and no rig checks, and that paves the way for morons to abuse the lake with awful quality bait, masses of nuts (God forbid even uncooked etc. etc.)..  Long story short far too many places are too lax and don't even know what they shouldn't be being lax about!!!!

Fully agree with you however on plastic bait (YUK, DITCH THE RUBBISH), and lead dropping..

Guest Dez Animaux
6 minutes ago, harpz_31 said:

if a day ticket fishing complex wants to truly protect themselves from the spread of disease they should provide nets mats and slings.

having a net dip rule just makes anglers think they're ok not to dry their nets out properly because the dip will sort it which just isn't the case

Precisely

Just shell out for decent ''in house'' landing kit, or suffer the consequences.. Dips are disgusting and not the way forward, they are far too easily forgotten about or swerved deliberately.. getting the wallet out and making a local tackle dealer happy with a bulk order of good quality landing gear IS the way forward, and must be good quality, some lakes have absolute joke nets and mats..

Edited by Dez Animaux

5 minutes ago, harpz_31 said:

a day ticket fishing complex wants to truly protect themselves from the spread of disease they should provide nets mats and slings

Reminds me of a dump I had the misfortune of fishing in my early carp days. The nets were large mesh! On scaffold poles, unhooking mats had literally no padding, so you may as well of unhooked it on the bank. Omg, good idea but very few owner's will invest time or money. 

I'm neither a boat or drone owner, I just find it annoying that people without, pee and moan about those that have. If another angler is being a nuisance I'd have a word, but I don't encounter that kind of angler.

Each to his own imo

6 hours ago, jh92 said:

One of the lakes I fish have a few weird rules...

No particle

No artificial /plastic baits

No home made baits unless its checked with the owners first. 

Do they enforce the rules? Lol

Put it this way I've fished there for 13 years and never had my bait bucket or rigs checked lol

No particle - why? because numpties turn up with un-soaked and boiled particles - chuck them in and the fish are either ill or die, look at Benson at Bluebell, unprepared tigers I believe, swelling in the stomach.  Also why some say you can only use the particles in jars - its been done correctly so the owner has peace of mind.

No artificial/plastic baits - why?  because if snapped of/cut offf or whatever that's a permanently baited rig sitting pretty on the bottom waiting to be picked up time and time again, whereas boilies or other non plastic baits will come off the hair after a couple of days or so, therefore no longer being picked up.

No homemade baits - why? well what have they got in?  has it been tested for a good period of time?  people use all sorts of stinky winky to save money and the products may not even be safe for consumption.

ALL good rules those - very sensible 

last year I dropped into a swim with fish showing in front of it, but when I started setting up a guy in the peg opposite shouted over that he was fishing the swim but from the other side.

I told him tough and if he saw fish showing in another swim and wanted to fish for them he should have moved if he wanted exclusivity

he didn't like that and messaged the lake owner to complain and was promptly told to reel in and fish within the boundaries of his own swim and stop being a twit.

I don't mind people fishing outside of their swims, in fact I do it a lot but if someone drops in the swim your cast to then you reel in (I even go and tell them where ive been putting bait)

unfortunately like people in everyday life anglers can be turds as well

3 hours ago, greekskii said:

It’s the UV that kills the diseases. Not being dry. Most can lay dormant in dry/slightly damp conditions for a week or more. 

Places with no dips, or their own equipment, are a ticking time bomb IMO. You can’t trust every angler to do the right thing. 

Dips are annoying, and most aren’t maintained properly. But not a silly rule. 

We had to buy this stuff as part of the rules, the owner has also left a bottle in every swim

Screenshot_20181018-133655.png

Guest Dez Animaux
58 minutes ago, harpz_31 said:

like people in everyday life anglers can be turds as well

Fortunately for me they get banned on my venue, probably after one warning

Join a syndicate as well mate, best investment I ever made in my fishing life