River Thames.

snowmanstevo

On 14/10/2018 at 17:12, muftyboy said:

I'd imagine there's some proper monsters lurking in the Thames.

Perfect environment for a carp to live a long life and grow big.

There’s all sorts in there, many years ago I saw a few fish in there that would be classed as very big even nowadays. We had a couple of secret places to fish, including somebody’s garden but, lost permission because of other people’s selfishness. Lot’s of anticipation with rivers though 👍🏻

27 minutes ago, The Compleat Angler said:

There’s all sorts in there, many years ago I saw a few fish in there that would be classed as very big even nowadays. We had a couple of secret places to fish, including somebody’s garden but, lost permission because of other people’s selfishness. Lot’s of anticipation with rivers though 👍🏻

As much as I love carp I'd probably be more interested in the perch tbh. 

8 hours ago, yonny said:

I can imagine they're livid mate. I know this is the third capture (at least) of that fish this year but everyone else kept it quiet.

I heard a rumour of another different Thames 50 out since Nick's capture but the masses won't hear about that one!

And the rest bud....... it started life in the ICI pit, then it was nicked and put into Barham B pit where it escaped into the Gipping before being nicked again and put in Snake pit..... very colourful history lol.

Ici to B Pit, to Suffolk Water Park, to River Gipping by a committee member, from one side of the weir to the other and then onto Snake.

Wandering mirror, it had human movement, none of the moves were by itself!

14 hours ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

If it is a Dinton original it will be the second one in a week to break 50 after Tripple Row was caught ounces over by long-term member, ‘Hutch’😎👍👏

Good old ABS. Well done on the capture,amazing fish. 🎣😎

I really don't have time for people who get annoyed by people publishing a decent catch, yes it attracts plenty of national attention in the angling world but so what? Its all part and parcel of fishing. Yes there'll be a good chance of more people on that bit of river now but that's just one challenge that makes us decent anglers.

If i catch a 50lb carp from the river lea tomorrow, i'll have a simple choice, keep it quiet and only tell a select few or i could let the magazines know and have my "15 minutes of fame" so to speak, i shouldn't be bashed for whatever choice i make because i can guarantee that it'll upset someone whichever choice i make. 

15 minutes ago, Dannygooner said:

Someone told me it holds barbel in parts too? I don't know the chelmer but I'm not far from it and I'm going to check it out next spring. Any truth in that? Thanks 

I've heard the same for many years but was told that they were only found in the private upper reaches in any sort of meaningful numbers. And of course they'd also be easy targets for the otters.

8 minutes ago, Dannygooner said:

Urrrrghh. Otters. What a scourge. They are running riot through Essex currently apparently. I've seen evidence of this first hand 

I saw my first one on a water near the Chelmer in 2003. By 2010 on another water, not so far away, I was seeing them on a daily basis.

IMHO any unfenced lake in Essex is doomed. Actually make that anywhere!

45 minutes ago, Dannygooner said:

Having a 20 out of a river would feel better than a 40 from a lake for me

Gonna have to have a proper go for one...…. Got about 18mnths to kill before, hopefully a ticket comes up... Perfect opportunity to get some use out of my club ticket...… A lad I got chatting to showed me a pic of a near 30 mirror he'd had from the Chelmer, off the top...… Quite a few lakes flood into the Chelmer/Blackwater canal, too. for decades..... Who knows what could be in there.... Seen pics, too, of smaller fish, mid doubles, but real dark lookers...…… All that footwork though, lol..... To be fare, I could probably do with it 

1 minute ago, Dannygooner said:

Haha, you and me both. I killed two fishing chairs this year. But I'd take great joy in walking a river anyway. I had planned to hit the stour this year but injured my leg. The unknown of a river is the big appeal, a possible uncaught fish. I'd love to see some pics if you ever come across any. I managed to find pics online of carp caught on the stour on a traditional fisherman site. Real stunners. talking to other fisherman the chelmer keeps popping up. It's something I'm considering having a look at 

The only pics I've seen have been on peoples phones..... I didn't have the audacity to ask about which stretch, would rather find a few for myself tbh….. Been told they are fairly easy to catch once you find some... As long as you don't spook them off, they aren't particularly riggy by all accounts..... Not that many years ago they were fairly spread out and I'd often spot single fish or small groups 3s and 4s..... I haven't seen any this year or last on the few walks I've had.. Could be they are grouped up in one or two stretches these days, safety in numbers?? But there does seem to be far fewer, stating the obvious really with the otters present..

13 hours ago, Dannygooner said:

Having a 20 out of a river would feel better than a 40 from a lake for me

I think it would depend a lot on the merit of the capture mate? Some river carp are easy to catch, and some stillwater carp can prove very difficult or elusive, and of course vice versa. Also, I know of many escapee carp that were very hard earned when they were in their native stillwaters yet, often caught regularly once they’d migrated to rivers and canals.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...