October Catch Reports

greekskii

13 minutes ago, greekskii said:

Does this fish not have a tail?! Or is it unlucky timing? 

Well done though! Back to the syndi with high confidence

Unlucky timing!! He was a lively so & so! Also had a run that almost melted my baitrunner, don't think I've ever had one like it! Lifted into it and SNAP!! No chance 

6 hours ago, Dannygooner said:

You never know on some of these so called runs waters. The fish get abused. Some of the fish I've caught from such waters have left me feeling sad. Eyes missing, hooks in mouth, deformities. 😔

Got to be honest, the two that we caught, (my mate Darren had a 21lb'er), were both in pristine condition. But we have a lake locally with residents just as you describe, so I avoid that one like the plague.

28 minutes ago, smufter said:

Got to be honest, the two that we caught, (my mate Darren had a 21lb'er), were both in pristine condition. But we have a lake locally with residents just as you describe, so I avoid that one like the plague.

Apart from the mouth. That looks like it’s had some pretty serious mouth damage in the past. Sadly the case with most waters that are day ticket though. 

So I just had my last session of the year. Conditions were absolutely awful for fishing.... high pressure (1030 mbar!), clear skies, zero wind, bright days and cold nights... you couldn't get much worse. Couldn't get near them at first and when I finally did they moved off. Chased them around a bit (5 swims in total) before they settled in a shallow bay in the afternoon. I chucked singles at them but nowt happened so I got the spod out and guess what - they did the off again. I thought they'd be back the following day so I stay put.

Next day and I've not seen them show up, I'm ready to hang myself, hell of a lot of hard work for no result, the pit is fishing terribly, nowt caught anywhere, when my mate walks into my swim. We have a chat, I get the kettle on and I'm chewing his ear off telling him how hard it's been when the middle rod drops back before screaming off. My rods are right out in the pond due to the layout of this swim so I get the waders on and run on out into the lake making a right commotion. Play it for ages, my mate gets a cracking video, and I do my best impression of Danny "Bosh, get in that net" for the film as it goes over the cord.

Turns out to be an old friend, the mirror with the stupidly massive tail that I caught in Sept 2016 and in Aug 2017. I'm standing in the water grinning at my mate, pleased as punch that I've actually caught one in these God awful conditions, when he starts pointing at my other rod. As I turn round that one rips off too so I jam the landing net handle into the silt and grab the rod. I'm calling to my mate to set up my other net as I'm playing this one, which he does, good man, and passes it to me. This one gives a good fight too and we get another brilliant video of me landing a carp with another in the net next to me. I'm over the moon when this one goes in the net, double bubble after a very, very difficult session. This one's a common of a similar size to the mirror, nowt massive but it'll do nicely.

I get the rods back out and we do the business with the fish. The mirror goes 27.12 and the common goes 27.04. Get some nice shots, put them back, job done.

The next night is my last ever night on this water and I feel a bit emotional if I'm honest. I've spent three years there and I've done OK really.  I've had the biggest mirror 4 times, I had my main target fish in my first year (and again this year) and my second target fish in my second year. I caught one of the big commons and while I was really hoping for the other one this year I cannot complain too much. You can't catch them all I guess.

The next morning it's really difficult to drag myself away - see this will be the end of my proper fishing for a while........ because at the end of February I'll be a Dad for the first time!!😎

So that'll be the end of my catch reports for 2 or 3 years at least....... although I have found a local reservoir 20 mins from my house which holds a 50lb mirror for when I do get the odd day out!

Big congratulations Yonny on the fish and the baby.  As Vik said Quick overnighters are still an option even if it’s for peace and quiet 😆😆

managed one myself after work Saturday but did have to pack the Mrs and kids off to Blackpool for the day 🙄🙄😆😆

14 minutes ago, yonny said:

Keeping it a surprise mate!

Best way mate,loads of people find out the sex of there child nowadays....... didn’t know any of my 3 until they popped out 😆😆😆

I mean you don’t open your crizzy presents in November,do ya. 😆😆

On 21/10/2018 at 17:14, smufter said:

Unlucky timing!! He was a lively so & so! Also had a run that almost melted my baitrunner, don't think I've ever had one like it! Lifted into it and SNAP!! No chance 

Sounds like you might of hooked one of the resident cat fish mate ? 

Edited by chillfactor