Lifting the fish in the net.

The_Viking_Angler

Morning Guys,

I saw a post from Ali Hamidi this morning and in that post he was saying that it was unfortunate that whoever caught the fish before him had lifted the fish in the net and then proceeds to say "Shame on all you who do that"and that we always should transfer the fish from the net to the sling in the water.

Now i always was under the impression that 9/10 that lifting a fish in the net is perfectly acceptable, and i always then transfer the fish from the net into the sling that is already waiting on the cradle. Granted he was holding a 46lb common and i am sure that it is probably easier and a bit safer to transfer larger fish in a sling from the water if this is feasible but i know on some of the lakes i fish that you can't safely do this as how high some of the are swims from the water or would be too dangerous to attempt on your own.

I personally like Ali but i think he was a bit of a numpty for saying shame on those people who don't transfer in the water.

What are your'e guys thoughts on this?

most fish will be lifted in the net out of the water then onto the matt, no doubt about it. and i think you will find evidence of most televised anglers doing this.

I usually (if a big fish) take the net from the pole and roll the net up to lift the fish. so it isnt dragging or bumping the ground, Can also make sure its fins are down by its sides.

41 minutes ago, Ginger9991 said:

most fish will be lifted in the net out of the water then onto the matt, no doubt about it. and i think you will find evidence of most televised anglers doing this.

I usually (if a big fish) take the net from the pole and roll the net up to lift the fish. so it isnt dragging or bumping the ground, Can also make sure its fins are down by its sides.

see i do this with every fish i catch, always break down the net and roll it up with the fins tucked away. I'll always unhook it in the water too if possible.

I guess it just rubbed me up the wrong way when i read his FB post this morning :lol:

7 minutes ago, The_Viking_Angler said:

see i do this with every fish i catch, always break down the net and roll it up with the fins tucked away. I'll always unhook it in the water too if possible.

I guess it just rubbed me up the wrong way when i read his FB post this morning :lol:

I lift the fish in the same way, 

I have been lifting the fish from the water in the net since the 1980's. Either by sliding the handle back until I can grip and lift the arms, or by popping the net out of the spreader block.

Ali Hamidi winds me up with his open mouth before brain is in ignition, and this is another one, although he has gotten part right, and that is the fish must be at the bottom of the net, and the lead clip, hook eye must be clear of the mesh. It is why fine mesh was invented, so tackle and fins don't get caught in it!

In fact, watch him on his programmes, The Big Fish etc, and guess what he does, lifts it out of the water in the net. Or even Monster Carp, The German. I am sure that fish was netted, lifted out then unsprung before being put back in the water and towed to the bank.

Add to that, if anglers did what he is suggesting, we would find a large number of fish escaping the scales altogether...

I'd take absolutely no notice whatsoever of what ever comes out of Ali H's mouth or any other commercial angler in regards to fish safety..... Seen a few and heard of many times where fish are retained for unnecessary lengths of time, whilst waiting for the Gimp, sorry, photographer, to arrive... Only for the poor stressed out creature to be then, kept out of the water for far too long a time, so the gimp can get enough shots off.. Followed by the immortal words on camera...… "Now let's get her back in the water as quick as we can"...……  .. 😀

• 3 weeks later...

I'd never lift a big fish out in the net, not now that I have floatation slings.

The finer and stronger mesh, zips and handles make it much better for the angler and fish.

Whether you use one or not you have to ensure that the fish is well placed centrally, the tail is not right up against the end of the net/ sling and that the fins are back and flush against the body.

Any backward movement once the weight has been lifted out of the water can and will damage the tail.

I lift smaller fish out in the net but do it very carefully doing all the fin and tail checks, ensuring no pressure is on the hook hold and roll the net right down trapping the fish to avoid horizontal movement in the net.

5 hours ago, smufter said:

With the level of water being so low in my lake, if I tried to do it any other way I'd be going in for a swim.

and that is true of a lot of lakes bud, we have a rule on my syndi, waders are a required piece of equipment!!! waders must be used when landing and returning fish, aprox 50% of the swims are a 2ft or more drop of the boards and a large portion of those the water is 3ft or more deep,,,,, lifting a carp in the sling would obviate the use of some very productive swims for me.

When I first started carp fishing, we used landing nets, the big knotted mesh type, which makes me shudder now when I look back but, I don't remember our fish having injury inflicted as a consequence?

Nowadays we have the luxury, albeit paid for luxury of safe tackle and kit. How far should we be taking the safety aspect though? It’s alright advocating that fish, especially big fish shouldn’t be lifted from the water in a landing net, yet holding that same fish up for the photos, with wet but often warm hands is fine?

I’ve never heard so much utter nonsense in all my angling life, which is a long time. If any of us cared that much about the welfare of a carp, we wouldn’t fish for them, it really is as simple as that. Sure, treat the fish with care and respect, that goes without saying but, let’s not take the Florence Nightingale element too far.

I hear so many people say they have the fish’s welfare in mind, first and foremost, is that so the fish will live longer, and grow bigger, so that we can all put them through all the stress and trauma all over again, when we catch them again at a later date?

The reality is, the fish are there, because people fish for them, just as cows, sheep and pigs are there because humans eat them. You don’t get farmers keeping livestock for pets, the same goes for water owners and fish.

Treat the fish you catch with care and as much respect as possible, taking into consideration that you’ve orchestrated putting a hook into it’s lip, and proceeded to pull it towards where you’re pitched up, or positioned in a boat, all ready to subject it to further stress and trauma.

Sometimes the truth hurts, often much more than a soft meshed, wet landing net. 😉

8 minutes ago, The Compleat Angler said:

When I first started carp fishing, we used landing nets, the big knotted mesh type, which makes me shudder now when I look back but, I don't remember our fish having injury inflicted as a consequence?

Nowadays we have the luxury, albeit paid for luxury of safe tackle and kit. How far should we be taking the safety aspect though? It’s alright advocating that fish, especially big fish shouldn’t be lifted from the water in a landing net, yet holding that same fish up for the photos, with wet but often warm hands is fine?

I’ve never heard so much utter nonsense in all my angling life, which is a long time. If any of us cared that much about the welfare of a carp, we wouldn’t fish for them, it really is as simple as that. Sure, treat the fish with care and respect, that goes without saying but, let’s not take the Florence Nightingale element too far.

I hear so many people say they have the fish’s welfare in mind, first and foremost, is that so the fish will live longer, and grow bigger, so that we can all put them through all the stress and trauma all over again, when we catch them again at a later date?

The reality is, the fish are there, because people fish for them, just as cows, sheep and pigs are there because humans eat them. You don’t get farmers keeping livestock for pets, the same goes for water owners and fish.

Treat the fish you catch with care and as much respect as possible, taking into consideration that you’ve orchestrated putting a hook into it’s lip, and proceeded to pull it towards where you’re pitched up, or positioned in a boat, all ready to subject it to further stress and trauma.

Sometimes the truth hurts, often much more than a soft meshed, wet landing net. 😉

Spot on.

29 minutes ago, The Compleat Angler said:

Wrong quote above 

Well said 🤝

7 hours ago, The Compleat Angler said:

I think you've hit the nail right on the head there mate. 👍