spomb question

lost my fox impact spod on friday night , its up a tree on the island in the middle of the lake with no hope of getting it back , i'm in the market for a replacement , now i don't fish that far out around 60/70 yards max , I have on a few occasions had the spod not open , are the real spombs more reliable or are they much the same ? cheers all dave ....

22 minutes ago, cloud9 said:

lost my fox impact spod on friday night , its up a tree on the island in the middle of the lake with no hope of getting it back , i'm in the market for a replacement , now i don't fish that far out around 60/70 yards max , I have on a few occasions had the spod not open , are the real spombs more reliable or are they much the same ? cheers all dave ....

i find as long as you cast a high arc it will open every time, tho i have had miss casts that have gone in really shallow and still opened thereby dumping my bait where i dont intend to fish ( that could be down to my cra ppy casting tho) :lol::lol:

The trouble with casting in a high arch, for the spomb to open (it needs to land nose first), is that any sort of cross wind will have you dumping bait all over the shop. 

Before the dot spod came out, I would use a traditional spod if any wind as I am a bit ocd with making sure my baiting is spot on. With the dot spod, you can cast it and hit the clip the same as your ‘fishing’ rods. If you clip up to the distance with a spomb, you have to allow extra yardage because of the need to hit the clip so high up, allowing that nose dive. 

For me, the dot spod has answered all my questions. 

I use the original Spombs , large and small,and they are "ok"...….. They do have to land nose first to get a good opening, so if you are hitting a clip quite hard they can sometimes land side on, and not open up. But I find that after a couple of casts to a spot, you can time it just right in most cases...… After watching a few vids, learned that you get a slightly better spread of bait with the Spomb,, compared to a spod, as it nose dives into the water and actually through the bait that just came out of it, the turbulence it causes just opens the pile of bait up a bit as it sinks...… The main problem I've had with the Spomb, is loading it. It's all too easy for a grain of hemp to slip in amongst the spring mechanism and jam it up, or leave it not quite locked up. and spill on the cast..... You just gotta make sure to be quite methodic when loading it, check the mechanism is working freely, and best to use a spoon or scoop and not dip it into a bucket of particle.. My other gripe with a Spomb, is that you can only half fill them, so if you are planning to put a bit of bait out, you could be spombing for quite a while. I'd have a spod on stand by if this was the case...…… I do like them though, they are more accurate imo than a spod, for me, at least and because they are never really full up, they are generally easier to handle, less spill, tidier swim, less rat food,that sort of thing....😊

Had my original spombs for 5 yrs plus, so yes , I'd say they are pretty reliable.  There are a lot of cheaper versions out there 4 quid on the bay, not sure if they'd stand up to much abuse tbh, so could be a false economy imo.

Edited by B.C.

13 hours ago, cloud9 said:

The fox was ok and I was happy to use it BC ,it was just the fact that it didn't open every now and then , and I was wondering if the spomb one worked any better ...

I got one of the fox jobbies when they were released to see what the fuss was about ,  best use I found for it was filling up my large spomb 😄