New bed.

ive got a nash sleep system cant fault it but ngt do a sleep system to now well cheaper never used ngt stuff so cant say about comfort 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NGT-Profiler-8-Leg-Full-Flat-Fleece-Lined-Fishing-Bed-chair-Lined-Sleeping-Bag/362402905785?hash=item5460e57eb9:g:td8AAOSwQFhbYa3e

Edited by carpyian

2 hours ago, Old school said:

Need to get a new bedchair, whats recommended these days? Top brand or one of the cheaper ones ok? Ngt maybe? 

Been through a few makes over the years and checked and tested them in tackle shops I worked in.

Strangely none were better than the original Fox bedchairs I had around 20+ years ago, and I am not made of money, no way can I afford current Nash or Fox prices.

My current bedchair is a few years old now, the Chub Vantage 6 leg Flatbed. It is comfortable and wide enough and at open, 2.15m long.

I may only be 75kilos when wet (11 1/2 stone I guess), but there is room. Do not get the Outkast version, it is around 18centimetres shorter head to toe, and not as wide.

The central padded mattress keeps you warm and because it is not elasticated round the outer frame, it does not sag. Proper mudfeet, and non slipping extendable legs. It also folds up with my sleeping bag inside.

Shop around, prices vary down as low as £125 comparred to the £185 rrp.

All depends what you are looking for...……. Some of the more luxurious types weigh a ton...… I would deffo check the weight..... I've been using a Wychwood Tactical, which came recommended on this forum, purely for it's light weight attributes.... The compact version weighs in at 6.5 kg, I'm 5ft 11" and 13st and it gives me plenty of room and is half the weight of some bed chairs...….. Bed chairs come in all shapes and sizes and weights these days.... I would start by narrowing things down at first, being as there is so much choice...….. How big are you? How big is your shelter? Do you want to be mobile or are you happy to make camp and stay put? Are you doing short sessions or are you a week at a time bank rat?

35 minutes ago, Old school said:

I’m leaning towards this one, used to swear by jrc in the 90’s, what you think? 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F362412921161

I like JRC, I've mentioned on other threads about the durability of their shelters...…. That bed chair looks ok, but comes in a bit heavy for me personally, with the smallest size being 9.3kg...…… Check out "Cyprinus", they do carbon copies of some of the more expensive brand names at much cheaper prices.

Another option, for a bit more comfort is to buy an affordable bed chair and then purchase a 1" thick single bed, memory foam mattress topper and trim it to size. It will fold up with the bed chair and only add about 1kg to the weight. costs about £20 and makes a hell of a difference, especially in winter and can be removed through the warmer months...…. Imo, most of the £200 plus bed chairs, just have a memory foam mattress incorporated...…..

My basic Wychwood Tactical, with a home made mattress topper (currently in the shed), covers all bases for my fishing....

BTW, welcome to the forum bud..

Edited by B.C.

9 hours ago, B.C. said:

I've been using a Wychwood Tactical

Me too. Light, cheap, decent.

8 hours ago, Old school said:

the other half and me are going to Stanwick lakes this weekend for a 36 hour session l, which brings me to my next question anyone fish there regular? 

I wouldn't go so far as to to say regularly but I've done the odd session there (at least once a year) for years now. What do you want to know buddy?

I split some of the Stanwick Lakes posts off into their own thread (https://forum.carp.com/topic/24684-stanwick-lake-from-bedchairs/?tab=comments#comment-326884), so sorry if this is now a little disjointed.

On 13 August 2018 at 23:04, B.C. said:

Another option, for a bit more comfort is to buy an affordable bed chair and then purchase a 1" thick single bed, memory foam mattress topper and trim it to size. It will fold up with the bed chair and only add about 1kg to the weight. costs about £20 and makes a hell of a difference, especially in winter and can be removed through the warmer months...…. Imo, most of the £200 plus bed chairs, just have a memory foam mattress incorporated...…..

That is my biggest gripe about the 'top range' bedchairs, a lot of money for the foam mattress. Quality is not necessarily any better than some of the budget ranges.

Stick a £20 mattress on a £90 TFG Deluxe bedchair and you have the comfort of a Nash or Fox top price sleep system. Not being funny, but I do like being able to take the sleeping bag off, and this summer sleeping in just shorts and t-shirt.

A sleeping bag underneath leaves me dripping with sweat.

I mentioned earlier that I have looked at various bedchairs over the years, and none of the bedchairs I have owned have cost more than £130. I had a Badger bedchair that cost me £50, and that lasted for around 6 years. Only fault is elastic springing dies, and it gets easier to buy a new bedchair; Bison was its replacement, and again, that lasted 6 years or so. I think that cost £80.

The most expensive was one of the original Fox bedchairs, a simple centre elasticated section, with the canvas cover going around the frame at head and feet, and back in the 1990's that cost £129.99!

11 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I split some of the Stanwick Lakes posts off into their own thread (https://forum.carp.com/topic/24684-stanwick-lake-from-bedchairs/?tab=comments#comment-326884), so sorry if this is now a little disjointed.

That is my biggest gripe about the 'top range' bedchairs, a lot of money for the foam mattress. Quality is not necessarily any better than some of the budget ranges.

Stick a £20 mattress on a £90 TFG Deluxe bedchair and you have the comfort of a Nash or Fox top price sleep system. Not being funny, but I do like being able to take the sleeping bag off, and this summer sleeping in just shorts and t-shirt.

A sleeping bag underneath leaves me dripping with sweat.

I mentioned earlier that I have looked at various bedchairs over the years, and none of the bedchairs I have owned have cost more than £130. I had a Badget bedchair that cost me £50, and that lasted for around 6 years. Only fault is elastic springing dies, and it gets easier to buy a new bedchair; Bison was its replacement, and again, that lasted 6 years or so. I think that cost £80.

The most expensive was one of the original Fox bedchairs, a simple centre elasticated section, with the canvas cover going around the frame at head and feet, and back in the 1990's that cost £129.99!

Yes I agree think I paid around £150 for my original jrc one in the early nineties! I’ve gone for the jrc one in the link for £99 delivered and I’ll get a sleeping bag for it, 

Edited by Old school

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Lumeymorris said:

Guys I'm looking at getting a new bed chair and was wondering if you guys had any recommendations as there not exactly cheap. But I'm thinking about getting one that will suite someone who's 6ft as I have one now but my feet come over the end also one that you don't really feel the frame on your knees. Cheers

hey LM, i used to be 6ft and suffered till i shrunk to fit my old bed chair, then i got one of these  and at 2mtr 10cm it is superb, there is also a 5 season sleep system available for it.

its only downside is the weight at a tad over 9k but when you look at the price (C£120 against C£300 for the nash wide boy) and dims (Cyp=210Lx109Wx38H against nash=205Lx95Wx29H) +the nash comes in at a back breaking 13k to me its a no brainer.

i have had mine for two years now and there has been no sag whatsoever, to get a feel for the width just try to hold a tape measure open at 109cm and you might be impressed :lol:

On 19/08/2018 at 10:12, The Compleat Angler said:

I have an SS4 Wideboy with the sleep system, I really do love it mainly for the comfort alone, plus I don’t like sleeping bags, the down side is, it’s a heavy son of a gun.

I have heard nothing but praise for the Trakker ELS, which I’d consider if I were looking for a new bed.

The SS4 doesnt have a sleeping bag? Oh my god i need to check these out!

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, The Compleat Angler said:

That’s right mate, it has removable double duvets, I have the extra underlay with mine, and I find it very warm and comfortable. 

The newer version has improved lumbar support.

My only concern with a nice warm bed is that I won't wear much so when I get a run during the night I will be freezing my beans off... 

1 hour ago, Ginger9991 said:

My only concern with a nice warm bed is that I won't wear much so when I get a run during the night I will be freezing my beans off... 

Exactly right , I sleep in Hoddy ,Tshirt ,joggers and socks just for that reason , so no way do I want a super warm Bag or System.

3 minutes ago, cyborx said:

-

shorts and a tee, Adrenalin will keep you warm :lol::lol:

lol yeah for the first 2 or 3 minutes then your realise its the middle of december, Its raining, Your freezing your beans off standing at a lake in shorts in pitch black and your wondering what the definition of crazy is......