Shelf life boilies

finchey

On 17/09/2018 at 11:22, finchey said:

I've been using the nash instant action candy nut crush and coconut cream shelf life and they seem to be quite a hard bait is this normal for shelf life boilies? and is there anything I can do to soften them up?

If I can't soften these boilie's up a bit can anyone recommend a softer shelf life. 

It's just that these seem quite hard as a hook bait and I feel when you get a pick up they must feel hard to the carp. Surely a softer bait is more attractive to a carp and softer boilie's must be easier to digest. 

Sorry if this is a stupid question 😀

I use the Nash Instant Action Tangerine Dream quite a bit, in fact it's the only bait that has stopped me buying Richworth Tuttis for my cold water angling.

Yes these baits are pretty hard out of the bag, but that's because they are dried for 48 hours after cooling. They soon soften up once in water, if they didn't I doubt they'd be such a good bait. 

At times I've had access to quite large quantities of Nash shelflife baits very cheaply (misshapes) (friend of Bayesy) and have fed my lake with them when there has been little bait going in by anglers and the fish have thrived on it, so it can't be that bad.

All my other bait has been shelflife for the last five years and my catch rate certainly hasn't suffered. I really should empty and get rid of the two bait freezers in the garage.

15 minutes ago, AndyCh said:

I use the Nash Instant Action Tangerine Dream quite a bit, in fact it's the only bait that has stopped me buying Richworth Tuttis for my cold water angling.

Yes these baits are pretty hard out of the bag, but that's because they are dried for 48 hours after cooling. They soon soften up once in water, if they didn't I doubt they'd be such a good bait. 

At times I've had access to quite large quantities of Nash shelflife baits very cheaply (misshapes) (friend of Bayesy) and have fed my lake with them when there has been little bait going in by anglers and the fish have thrived on it, so it can't be that bad.

All my other bait has been shelflife for the last five years and my catch rate certainly hasn't suffered. I really should empty and get rid of the two bait freezers in the garage.

I wouldn't feed Nash shelflife to anything, let alone my own fish

YUK

1 hour ago, Dean O'Baggio said:

I wouldn't feed Nash shelflife to anything, let alone my own fish

YUK

What it is that makes them yuk, a lot of people seem to rate the nash shelfies, the bloke who runs the lake i fish feeds them to his fish and sells to the members at a fair rate, the fish are doing ok on it.

I use the Cov Gold from coventry carp baits its a great bait company very small and a three bait recipe bait line two fish meals and a nut bait.

9 hours ago, Dean O'Baggio said:

An entire region of Italy, an entire specific breed of pig, one of the finest, timeless delicacies on the planet, and a legally protected brand name is ''owned'' by a food multinational is it?.....

But making a flavour out of a common everyday delicacy to be found in any big supermarket can't be that hard can it?

Parma ham flavour does not contain Parma ham lol.

1 hour ago, greekskii said:

Yeah, it was just you asking if deano knew exactly what went in to them. 

I only wondered how he was in a position to slag them off I he didn't know what was in them or how they're preserved?

I've known Gary for quite some time now, have spoken to him about bait at length and trust him implicitly that he won't sell me anything that is either poor as a bait or in any way harmful to my fish.

I'm sat here by the lake with a thought or 2 running through my head.

Shelf lifes are more instantly attractive than freezer baits, but freezer baits on day three seem to offer more natural attraction as the enzymes kick in or out.

Years ago Brian Skoyles wrote an article about it, and Gary Bayes has mentioned the instant attraction of shelf lifes vs freezer.

To me shelf lifes are better in small quantities, even food baits, a tiny percentage of the freebies mixed with freezer baits, or as a stringer of baits around the hookbait. The hookbait itself can be a shelfie, but you do not want massive amounts of shelf life freebies.

On 25/10/2018 at 11:46, salokcinnodrog said:

I'm sat here by the lake with a thought or 2 running through my head.

Shelf lifes are more instantly attractive than freezer baits, but freezer baits on day three seem to offer more natural attraction as the enzymes kick in or out.

Years ago Brian Skoyles wrote an article about it, and Gary Bayes has mentioned the instant attraction of shelf lifes vs freezer.

To me shelf lifes are better in small quantities, even food baits, a tiny percentage of the freebies mixed with freezer baits, or as a stringer of baits around the hookbait. The hookbait itself can be a shelfie, but you do not want massive amounts of shelf life freebies.

I feed shelflife baits almost exclusively as feed into my lake at times. Sometimes I can put 5kg on a spot and it'll go within hours. Other times it'll just sit there for three or four days, fish nearby, but just not 'in the mood' to eat it. Next day it'll all be gone. They must still be putting out the 'right' signals, even after days in the water.       I only use Gary's bait so have absolutely no idea how the fish might react to other shelfies. 

17 hours ago, AndyCh said:

I feed shelflife baits almost exclusively as feed into my lake at times. Sometimes I can put 5kg on a spot and it'll go within hours. Other times it'll just sit there for three or four days, fish nearby, but just not 'in the mood' to eat it. Next day it'll all be gone. They must still be putting out the 'right' signals, even after days in the water.       I only use Gary's bait so have absolutely no idea how the fish might react to other shelfies. 

I think I was first using shelf lifes back in the late 1980's, Richworths Tutti-frutti, Honey Yucatan, Salmon Supreme etc. They did produce best with just a stringer or as a single, but they are NOT food source baits at all, basically attractor baits. 

As kids, we could not afford to pile them in anyway, a bag had to last a few weeks!

In the tail end of the 1980's I started making my own, Chappie dog food, Pond Pellets for koi, all ground down or mixed with semolina and Casein. The results of heavy baiting with them produced lots more but those baits would not keep fresh.

I mentioned the Brian Skoyles article, 'The Four Day Approach', I can't remember whether it was a Nutrabaits 'Bait' annual, or Carpworld, but he would on longer sessions put a large amount of his food freezer baits in on arrival. On the fourth day the enzymes were kicking out attracting big time. I have used the approach myself, on Taverham when it had switched off and I hadn't been down for a few weeks. Quite literally on my fourth day as I was packing up the fish started coming, I had four in my last 30minutes, catch, recast, catch recast, other rod, catch recast until I did have to go.

It was Trigga being sold as a shelf life that I think was the first food source bait, or it may have been Crafty Catcher King Prawn, either way, the instant attraction was better than freezer baits of the same recipe, albeit the shelf life did have a slight different make-up.

Now as I said I have seen how shelf life baits are the same as freezer versions, and how they are stabilised, or preserved. The instant attraction is ongoing, the baits are usually hard, and do not break down as fast as freezer baits. The freezer version I still think is a better long term bait, despite using both in the same recipe, but that is most definitely not saying the shelf life won't.

On 20 October 2018 at 10:05, Guest said:

He didn't ''primarily'' write about just bait, only somebody who hasn't read his books could suggest that

NONE of the Mainline foodbaits, either Cell, Hybrid, Essential Cell, New Grange, or Link are available in shelf life

And my experience of many Ted in a Shed companies is that they talk a good game whilst producing a product that doesn't cut the mustard whatsoever

Correction, some of those baits were are or are available in Shelf life version, as DreamLake Specials, available via order at Dream Lake or direct from Mainline.

Ted in a Shed, funny comment😖

I used to use a bait company who originally had a good reputation, as a rolling company, then as a bait maker themselves. Their own baits were actually very good, producing a lot of fish for me. Some good 20's out of Ardleigh, then some decent 30's from Nazeing. Unfortunately they then decided to 'destroy' other companies baits by cutting them with cheaper ingredients, in the process destroying their own reputation.

Ted in a Shed can produce a very good bait, I know I can; actually a fairly simple mix of Maize Meal, Semolina, Full Fat Soya Flour, Ground rice, Liver Powder, Robin Red. That is probably actually a better bait than Tails Up Protavit Liver. In many cases that is how bait companies are formed, a guy working from his own, or even his parents garage (😉😆), then getting into it 'Big Bill' time, becoming Nutrabaits or somesuch.

On 26 October 2018 at 19:01, AndyCh said:

I think that at times, even though carp eat our baits, even eat everyday, at times they just concentrate on natural foods. The baits will be sat on the lakebed for days. However, I think the four day approach of freezer baits, the release of enzymes is more attractive than the 'instant' attraction of shelf lifes. 

I would really like to compare a baited area vs others of shelf life mixed with freezers, and freezer against shelf lifes, it might make for interesting comparison as to favourite.

Then with any bait we have flavours, is it attractive instantly, or long term? Overdosing flavours in baits can make them instant, but can blow the bait long term. A low level flavour (or flavour/essential oil combination) can keep the bait going long term, and there are some very attractive combinations. Shelf lifes might be more instantly attractive because of slightly higher flavour levels, but I bet those shelf lifes are not long term baits. In a freezer bait, the looser constituency may allow the flavour level to leach out until it becomes attractive, at which point it may be long term acceptable.

Washed out baits anyone...

I’ll add me tupnth worth here. 

I have in a bait bucket 2 types of boilie. 1 lot is Nash instant action Candy nut crush, the other is a tiger and maple flavour from a brand I had never heard of. The Nash are 15mm and the others 18mm. 

They must have been in the shed 2 months. The Nash have gone rock hard but the others still soft. Don’t know why. 

I also have a bag of Nash monster crab in the cupboard unopened. Giving them a squeeze through the bag they are much softer than the open ones.

All above are shelf life bait.