Maize

I’ve a mind to use maize, mainly as a hookbait but also in very small quantities at least on one rod on my winter water (November onwards), probably in conjunction with the jolly green giant.

I’ve read all manner of recommendations for salty maize, fermented maize etc but I’m wondering whether its worth prepping my own for such small quantites or simply buy a jar of ready prepped?

1 hour ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

Any views on fermentation, addition of salt or any other additives?

I always used to add a bit of salt, say a palmful to a big pan full. Not sure if it makes any difference or not. Used to do really well on it years ago fishing 1 piece of maize and a piece of fake corn. 

Personally I don’t bother with salt at all or fermentation. Tried both and neither have done me any better than plainly prepared maize used fresh (1-2 days after boiling). 

For me I found it works better, and all particles I’ve used to be honest, with 2-3 tablespoons of sugar during boiling. Just my way of doing it. Simple, easy and cheap! 

4 hours ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

Any views on fermentation, addition of salt or any other additives

I've tried fermenting particle, there's no doubt it works, but does it work loads better than just straight prep with some added molasses?...… Maybe I haven't given it a good enough go for a longer period?... One thing is for sure, the fact that the particle breaks down during the fermentation process, gives it a nice attractive cloud as it hits and falls through the water. A nice cloud of attraction, but also a fare amount of pre-occupation by the fish on the particle and with bite times being short and sweet through the Winter, imo, not the best tactic, during this time...……. Just my op' after sitting there with fish all over me several times in warmer weather and no pick up over particle, silt plumes, bubblers and the odd Tench.. grrr

I'll be giving it a good go this Winter, until it gets silly cold, after sitting out last winter And I'll be going down the sweet , sugary route. After conversations on here and other places over the last couple of years, there is a general consensus that a quick energy hit would most likely keep a few fish more active, as long as they don't just shut down completely, with a really cold snap...…..

Have to say, I'm not a "salt Disciple"...… I class it as a preservative with no real nutritional value.. IMO, it will hinder enzyme activity around a baited area and especially in a fishes digestive tract, meaning that they will be getting less nutrition and energy from anything eaten, possibly leading to them shutting down earlier. These are just my views and I suppose it depends on what your views on bait and nutrition are as to whether or not you agree with this...…. I leave salt and such like until Spring time, used at very low levels, if at all, at a time when they may actually need it...……..

As far as preservatives go, the only exception to the rule imo, is sugar, or simple sugars to be precise.... They offer something more than preservation of bait, an energy hit and a sparing effect on any protein consumed, which can be used for growth and tissue repair, instead of burned off as fuel.....

With maize being starchy, I would be looking to convert some of the starches to simple sugars with some active yeast/Amylase...… Prep as normal and squash a few bits up to help the yeast do its thing.(maybe liquidise a cup ful) Leave, just about covered in the tepid water they were boiled in, in a bucket, with the added yeast (up to you how much you use, depending on it's strength and how quickly you want things to start breaking down) for a couple of days, lid on loose, Indoors is best for a better temperature...……. The yeast will work from the off, give it a stir now and then. I've found this to be a quicker and easier way than full on fermenting, which can be a bit stinky..... You should now have some prepped maize, with part of the carbs converted to simple sugars...……. For hook baits, I'd soak some unprepped maize in something like Talin or Thaumatin-B...……. The above is not a million miles from what I'm going to be giving a go this Winter, except I'll be using boilies and possibly Tigers instead of maize...……..

Good luck with your Winter fishing...……… TBH, if I can get anything between November and Feb, then I'll be chuffed, but I'm actually going to give it a proper go this Winter..🙂

Edited by B.C.

9 hours ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

I’ve a mind to use maize, mainly as a hookbait........ probably in conjunction with the jolly green giant.

Agree, sweetcorn is a far better bait than maize, but maize wins hands down as a hookbait obviously. Tbh if it's just for hook baits I'd not bother with any special treatments..... in fact I'd probably use plastic corn if rules allowed it.

Many thanks Yonny for your very detailed response👏I’m inclined to go down the Maize hookbait in Thaumatin B route in conjuntion with straight Corn. 

I would go with either Tiger or Brazil hookbaits if allowed but both are banned and I’ve waited a few years to get in to this winter syndicate and don’t want to risk loosing the ticket!

6 minutes ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

Many thanks Yonny for your very detailed response👏

Lol..... think you're mistaking me for B.C.??

6 minutes ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

Thaumatin B

That stuff is awesome on tigers! Never used it for maize so if you do, please report back and let us know how it turned out!

1 hour ago, yonny said:

Lol..... think you're mistaking me for B.C.??

That stuff is awesome on tigers! Never used it for maize so if you do, please report back and let us know how it turned out!

Ah yes, apologies BC!!☺️

I’ll certainly be giving the Maize/Thaumatin B a go on 1 rod at least👍

Hi,

So i used maize a lot earlier this year, about 2 large spoonfuls of sugar per 1KG, And if you have anything sweet smelling like betaine (i use the crafty carper syrups) then add a bit in....smells good enough to eat. Use Maize before winter, Go to a runs water, Get a bite or 2 on it. Theres nothing like slogging through winter on a bait you havent caught with, Its not fun, you will lose confidence and you will end up switching your baits constantly.

2 hours ago, yonny said:

@Pete Springate's Guns can I also just say that your username is the best in the history of any carp forum, anywhere, ever!

Haha-glad you appreciate it😎

TBH I was/am a bit of a Springate fanboy. Like many of my age was captivated by the pictures of his Yeoveney brace and then of course his exploits at Wraysbury. Could never understand how a hoover repair/carp angler got in such good shape. Hence the ‘guns’ reference for those who are not familiar with the photos💪

1 hour ago, Ginger9991 said:

Hi,

So i used maize a lot earlier this year, about 2 large spoonfuls of sugar per 1KG, And if you have anything sweet smelling like betaine (i use the crafty carper syrups) then add a bit in....smells good enough to eat. Use Maize before winter, Go to a runs water, Get a bite or 2 on it. Theres nothing like slogging through winter on a bait you havent caught with, Its not fun, you will lose confidence and you will end up switching your baits constantly.

I have no lack of confidence in corn/maize/plastic, just wanted to canvass opinions on preparation really.

Time dependent I soak mine for 24-48 hours, boil in the same soaked in water for half hour or until the maize starts to split, take off the boil and leave to cool down on the cooker.

I've had success with then adding some sainsburies rum flavor to the maize. not loads about half a small bottle per kg and mixing it up, placing in a bag, blow up the bag with maize inside, then let it ferment in a warmish place for a day or two - occasionally check for mould and let out old air and re blow up. Once fermenting is done - I divide up and freeze.

Also had success with boiling maize the night before and taking it in a tub with the water i boiled in with no salt or sugar.

Had great success with adding salt/chilli/sugar and various combinations.

Top, top bait imo.

If i'm being honest, 200g a session would be plenty, sifting through the better kernels to use on the hook - the grain is so tough it withstands all sorts of punishment. The rest mixed in with corn/hemp/bread crumb/groundbait mix and I think you'll have a decent spod/groundbait mix that will attract most fish.

TLDR: Maise is a top bait - doesn't matter how its prepared or any additives.

I do add a tablespoonful of brown sugar to the water per kilo of maize as I soak it.

In terms of catching, I found no improvement using fermented maize over freshly prepared. In fact if anything, going in still warm worked best for me.

I buy dry French maize from a local feed store. £9 something for 20kg. 

I soak it for 2 days, bring it to the boil, simmer for 10 minutes and then turn off and leave it with the lid on, or in a bucket with the water to steep. By morning it’s fairly soft but not too soft. I try to use it fresh as possible. Don’t rate fermenting it at all. 

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Old school said:

micronised maize?

Meant to be more easily digestible.... Slightly heat treated, enough to kill off/ denature any natural enzyme inhibitors, leaving the enzymes unhindered and able to do their job in breaking down proteins/carbs etc...

I've used micronized maize "meal" in boilie recipes to aid digestion...…… Didn't know you could buy micronized whole maize, but then again, never really looked for it...…